Tarot Shadow Work--Chapter 1-Nightfall

SherryZoned

What do we all think of chapter one? Do you like how she explains about shadow work?

I like how she explains the 'shadow'...

"Peter pan had lost his shadow. Wendy sewed it back on because he couldn't exist without it."

"Dracula at once resembles sexual desire and evil without end."

Are just a couple..

She puts in a bit of Jung..She explains the Shadow in Tarot of each card..Specifically the Devil.

I pretty much like the whole chapter..She covers almost everything you wonder..What shadow work can and cannot do for you..Symbols..Healing..Definately a plus on how to use the book! lol

Well I am not good at starting discussions..so Jump in!

Laurel

I also liked this chapter. When I opened the book, the first thing I saw was "Why Bring Up A Dead Psychiatrist?" and it made me smile. I don't know why.

Her description of what an archetype ~is~ is a little simple and seemed rushed. I appreciated her description of shadow behaviors, but didn't see a good explanation for of the relationship between the shadow and these behaviors. I think she might have included a few more examples of work done on Shadows and Archetypes as references to compensate.

Laurel

mooncat2

Hi all,

I liked it. Mainly because its simple and easy to read - too often one gets lost in a maze of psychological jargon you don't understand.

I also like the fact that the book emerged from her own life experience.

'Shadow work does not concern itself with getting rid of anything.It is about fully accepting......
Thats the paragraph that seems to have stayed with me.

jema

i think the first chapter has no meat.
i read it several things but nothing really struck a cord with me. i don't hate it or anything - just that it sort of slipped right past me like a silky scarf of words.
i do however enjoy the second chapter a lot.
i think first chapters are almost always like that though - vague.

still, one of the reasons i had this book on my shelf for a year is in that first chapter. i needed a kick to get going with it.
i'll hold on with the third chapter until next weekend though.

one neat thing was that as i was reading the second chapter i was drinking a cup of tea - apple tea:)

Jewel

mooncat2 said:
'Shadow work does not concern itself with getting rid of anything.It is about fully accepting......
Thats the paragraph that seems to have stayed with me.

That is also what stayed with me. Having been socialized to know who and I am and am not, the idea of integrating the two is one that makes a lot of sense to me.

Last night I did an exercise from the Tarot for Self-Discovery book and the words I read in Shadow Work, about integration, came back to me. I think it helped me also be more honest with myself, because my shadow does not feel threatened but embraced (not something it is used to).

blackthorn

I wanna join too!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to travle to get the book on time though. and on top of it i work on saterdays so i'll have to catch up with the discusion what time will it happen? ( No love for a bartender...lol)

Moongold

I like the simplicity and clarity of this chapter as well. It is all the more powerful because of this. Jette's authority comes from her own experience of recovery and of years of practice in Tarot. She has clearly done her own shadow work.

I am still working on the Star of Recovery and, believe me, there is a great deal of room for whatever depth or interpretation an individual wants to bring to this work. For me, the value is in the fundamental simplicity of Jette's approach. Complication is one of one of my defences!

Moongold

blackthorn

Good news!!! My freind is going to middletown today (thats where the bookstore is an hour from me!) And he is going to try and get the book for me !!! woooohoooooooo I can't wait!

Angel Star

This is an excellant book I feel on Shadow work and using the Tarot deck. I have read this book and I also like her part about excepting ourselves and not trying to get rid of things that are part of us. I wish my dear husband would read some of my books as he loves to try and forget his whole self. I hope you all enjoy the rest of the book its quite interesting.

cyan

Ok, my book finally arrived and i have read chapter 1.
the part that really got to me was when she said,

"If you wish to catch a glimpse of your shadow, think of a person you do not like. Describe the qualities in that person that bother you. The characteristics you list are part of your own shadow.

i also like the idea of embracing one's shadow and keeping it, but reducing it's role in one's life. Acceptance and letting go are things i have been trying to learn lately with the help of the Hanged Man.