Lynryd Narciso's art tarots

trzes

Recently I more than doubled my Lynryd Narciso sub-collection when Ly offered two of his decks plus small 3 give away decks.

When I finally held the Tarot Rikit and (even more adorable) the Tarot of the Curious East in my hands I started wondering again how it is possible that the 50ish copies of these decks haven’t been sold out immediately when they came out.

Many here love his artwork. I only hear positive comments so far. And IMO it’s not only the artistic style, it’s also a certain kind of easy-going and open-minded attitude shining through these decks that makes me happy by just looking at the cards.

Even the “small” give-away decks might look carelessly done, a bit quick and dirty at first glance. But in fact ANY of his decks is well thought, witty and often very funny. I compared some of his major arcana from quite a few of his decks: Each take on these cards is very different, and every variation seems perfectly justified. This is something that I often missed with other art tarot decks: that the cards are a successful reflection on traditional tarot as well as on the theme of the deck.

I just checked, there are still copies of the Tarot ng Daigdig sa Balintataw available from Adam McLean’s site as well. He printed 100 copies as far as I know.

So what do you think are the reasons that his decks don’t sell? Too expensive? Too many decks? Is the “Ly fan club” on ATF only a very small group of geeks? Or is it normal that majors only decks only sell in such small numbers anyway? The Vanessa Tarot is a full deck and found a big publisher, that might be a reason then …

Eno

I have the easy to get decks (Balintataw+Vanessa). I would like to have a few others by Narciso, but they are hard to find. I never see them on ebay, they are not on amazon and I haven't seen any in the trading section here.

trzes

I have the easy to get decks (Balintataw+Vanessa). I would like to have a few others by Narciso, but they are hard to find. I never see them on ebay, they are not on amazon and I haven't seen any in the trading section here.

Ly offered the Rikit and the Curious East together with three smaller ones in bundles in the advertising section roughly two months ago. He should still have a couple of these bundles available.

ETA: But it' true, many of his decks are impossible to find. That's why I was so surprised that Ly still has more than 10 copies of Rikit and Curious East left.

Altena

Like Eno says, part of the reason is probably that they're difficult to find. Tarot Whispers at the House of Dusk for instance is a deck I can only dream of obtaining. Also these decks(with the exception of the mass-market Vanessa and the Balintataw) are usually published in very small batches.

I bought the Tarot Bagong Sining when it was offered here on the forum some years back. My copy is one out of a total of 45 decks published. Obviously such rare decks will be hard to find and those who do obtain a copy are more likely to hold onto it due to its rarity. With this deck I also received two miniature decks: Tarot Giguil and Tarot Parac.

El Tarot de Marcelino is another gem I stumbled upon by chance here on the trading forum. I have never seen one sold since, so it's probably one of those decks that come around once in a blue moon and if you blink it's gone.

Lynyrd doesn't seem to have a website either, which means that his decks won't be as accessible to people outside of the tarot community. In addition I'm guessing that majors-only decks such as the Balintataw might appeal more to collectors since these kinds of decks don't necessarily offer the same depth in a reading as full decks of 78 cards.

These two cents might be far removed from reality, but they would be my guesses. I'm a big fan of Lynyrd's work myself and the Vanessa Tarot(his first and only mass market deck if I'm not mistaken?) is one of my all-time favorites and has been since the first time I got my hands on it.

WolfyJames

I don't like everything that he does, but some of his decks are indeed beautiful. I have the luck to have the Lunatic Tarot, which I bought at Tarot Garden. One of his decks that I like as well but that I missed is the Moody Lane Tarot, and like everyone else said here, his decks are impossible to find.

Gerbear

The Tarot of the Curious East was sold through Tarot Garden, and they sold out fairly quickly. If I had known that he had some copies remaining, I sure would have contacted him as this deck is one of two of his decks which I don't own.

I saw that auction and wanted to get it. but he said that he was only selling them in a group and I already had the rest of the listing.

His Tarot of the Lepidopteran People is one of the favorite decks in my collection.

Congratulations on your find.

gregory

I don't like everything that he does, but some of his decks are indeed beautiful. I have the luck to have the Lunatic Tarot, which I bought at Tarot Garden. One of his decks that I like as well but that I missed is the Moody Lane Tarot, and like everyone else said here, his decks are impossible to find.

ACTUALLY - when my lovely Resom arrived I was looking at all my Ly decks (as you do :D) and realising that if he sticks with Gamecrafter (at least then he keeps making decks, though) there will be no more nice personal numbers...

But how many Moodys were there ? They were numbered - I have #5. Who here has what other numbers ? I know he never printed as many as he was going to... that was to be 120, wasn't it ? I have it marked up as an LE of 120, but I may be nuts...

But that being so, he may print more....

WolfyJames

But how many Moodys were there ? They were numbered - I have #5. Who here has what other numbers ? I know he never printed as many as he was going to... that was to be 120, wasn't it ? I have it marked up as an LE of 120, but I may be nuts...

But that being so, he may print more....

I think only 50 copies were made for the Moody Lane Tarot. I'm glad to hear he might be print more in the future.

gregory

Well, if we all who HAVE it post our numbers maybe we can find out...