Beginner publishing question

meltedobsidian

Hello, I'm sorry if the information is already out there but I'm finding it difficult to research this... I have an idea for a tarot deck/accompanying book that I'm trying to get an artist friend of mine on board for. I'm more interested in the overall concept and the writing side of things since I lack the visual skills, and I don't think I can convince this friend to pursue it with me unless they know there is actually a profit to be made. I'd rather not hire a freelancer mostly because I can't really afford it right now lol but also I know we'd make a good team. Obviously we'd be splitting the profits, although I'm pretty clueless on the process and legalities of that as well.

So I'm wondering, assuming we actually pursue this what is the best route to take with publishing? I know there are on demand publishing sites for tarot decks like TGC, and there's the option of self-publishing an ebook with Amazon or something similar, but I need an option that works with both... I wouldn't even know where to begin looking into the costs, pros and cons, etc. of finding a publisher to mass produce everything. So any knowledge or advice is greatly appreciated!

gregory

As far as I know, it wouldn't work using TGC AND amazon - TGC do their own printing and drop shipping. That said - if you went the TGC route you wouldn't need amazon for the CARDS, though you could put a note on a card in the deck (or on the box) at TGC saying where to get the book on amazon.

How you'd sell a deck on amazon is trickier. The last time a friend of mine wanted to sell his properly published book, with an ISBN and everything, on amazon, they said that as THEY didn't list it, HE couldn't do so either and they didn't list it and they weren't going to, so...

You can get them printed privately and sell the decks on etsy, of course - with a note about the book being on amazon.

There are many publishers who do do drop shipping, but I don't know who they are - try looking at the self published decks in the "tarot decks" area (top right) and see how many members here are listed and PM them ?

One small caveat. Profits ? Don't get too excited. Not many people make much. I'm in a regular collaboratively published circle; we do a deck every year. It is printed in small numbers, yes - we each pay about $25 for our copies. No-one makes any profit at all (except the printer, I guess.) And people aren't going to pay a huge amount.

For approaching a publisher - the most receptive just now seem to be Schiffer.

meltedobsidian

Thanks gregory, I know self publishing using separate platforms (TGC and Amazon for example) wouldn't work. And I suppose you're right... Trying to make a profit from this is much like trying to hit the lottery! Such is life I suppose.

gregory

With TGC I think you do better than with most options... Less work, less worry.

blue_fusion

USG might be receptive too. Don't ask me how I know ;)

Ironically, I'd suggest you commit to it. lol well, at least to doing a couple of cards first. It would really help when you pitch it to potential publishers. I'd also think that publishers would prefer it if you pitch it to them when the deck is nearly done. It saves them a lot of hassle in laying out their timetable for your deck.

TGC is a good option. they don't do companion books just yet, but they do print out a booklet. There are a couple of online print-on-demand services for books too!

What you could do is:

1. Separate publishing on two platforms could work. Create the deck and book. Create a website with links to your deck in TGC, and another link to the book's print-on-demand page. Very cheap option for you since up-front costs are minimal - like in TCG, wherein you only have to order one copy for proofing before you can sell your deck on their site.

or

2. Everybody seems to be going to kickstarter (if you are in the US. Unfortunately, I'm not :(). Compute costs for printing the deck, book, as well as your kickstarter freebies. Decide on a feasible amount to raise, then launch a campaign there. You would need to be a bit aggressive, though, in promoting your campaign.

or

3. Work on the deck, and when nearly done, submit it to publishers. (really, it's hard for them to put faith on something with so little to hold on to. A couple of cards done at the very least would help a lot).

or

4. Self-publish! Which is what I've been doing for some time in the past. It means a lot of work (in terms of printing, laminating, cutting, packaging, mailing-out - of course there are printers who can do these things for you) but it's the best in terms of being able to customize your deck, packaging, paper, etc. It also entails a lot of work.

Just my two cents. :)

meltedobsidian

Interesting blue_fusion, thank you for your input, very helpful! :) USG is a good idea I'll have to look more into it. I have a feeling this will be a very slow moving project if it gets started at all, but if I manage to make any progress I'll maybe come back to this thread to show a few examples of the cards and get some feedback...