Tarot Apps - Good idea?

punchinella

:lightbulb

Er, wow, I'm really really slow on the uptake . . . I wasn't aware, until now, that I could have TAROT ON MY PHONE!!!

For me just a simple one-card thing would be fantastic. For those places where it's innapropriate to pull out a deck of cards (e.g. the lunch table at work) in spite of the fact that I desperately want to answer some little question and am just itching to get my hands on a deck . . . with tarot on my phone, I could draw that card & no one would be any the wiser.

I agree with others that that screen is too small though for readings proper with multiple cards. And, I'd probably want a deck on my phone that I already knew pretty well, so that the image on the phone would really just reference the hard copy back home.

thinbuddha

I'm still looking for a reasonable iphone app for tarot.

My problems with the existing apps:

Most don't offer my choice of deck. I'd like to be able to upload my own cards to use.

Most try to use the conputer to generate a "reading". Reading is a story telling process. It is a act of creation. A computer just can't do this. Just generate my reading, let me make my own interp, and let me keep a journal of the readings.

Most of the apps out there are for non-readers who want to get a free reading now and then. They are for fun, and don't cater at all to people who actually read their own cards.

-tb

punchinella

My enthusiasm wanes as I search diligently but without success for an app to fit my particular phone. And find that indeed, whether or not they will work for me, most apps do not even offer a one-card option.

thinbuddha said:
I'd like to be able to upload my own cards to use.
Just a simple random drawing mechanism with a 78-image base would be great, with the potential to upload whatever into those 78 slots.

ilweran

I have some tarot apps - Touchstone, Goddess and Mystic Faerie and I also have scans of the Llewellyn, Magical Forest and Greenwood (I do own 'real' versions of these decks!) that I use with the random slideshow.

I use one or other of them every morning to pick a card for the day, except for the Greenwood which I use for a card for the week that I set as wallpaper.

I find them reasonably useful - less for me to carry round and more discreet than a physical deck of cards. They would never replace my decks but I like having them :D

punchinella

random slideshow, random slideshow . . .

slow as always, punchinella scuffles away to explore the meaning of this term and its implication for her tarot-on-the-telephone quest . . .

ilweran

punchinella said:
slow as always, punchinella scuffles away to explore the meaning of this term and its implication for her tarot-on-the-telephone quest . . .

What phone do you have?

SpiritPhoenix

I have to admit that though I love technology in many forms, this just doesn't work for me. I rank it up there with Twitter. Kinda fun on the surface, but just doesn't have the depth I want. Besides, there's something to be said for the ritual of shuffling, laying out the cards and being able to hold them all in your hands.

Lleminawc

gregory said:
I like CARDS. I do use Orphalese sometimes, yes - but that is on a big screen - and for a REAL READING - I don't; my favourite use is to compare cards and to save readings.

For itty bitty screens like Blackberries - you can't see the cards clearly enough - they MIGHT (though not for me) be OK for sort of - please no-one hit me; these are the best words I can come up with - more mechanical readings where - say - the 4 swords has a specifc meaning every time it shows up - but I don't work like that. I need to SEE the images and in detail. A weeny screen cannot offer that, nor can I sort of sink into the cards - I can't even do THAT fully with Orphalese, even though I can enlarge the cards as much as I like (until they get all pixellated, anyway.)
I'm going to join the Luddites on this one, despite being a university lecturer in computer science. Actually the whole idea fills me with gloom and dismay. But no doubt the rising e-generation will see nothing amiss in using their pocket electronic gizmos for tarot readings, as they do for everything else.

NateSean

Takes the mystery right out of it though when you go into a shop to request a tarot reading and the shop owner says, "Hang on, my phone is charging and we'll begin. Now I want you to meditate on the cosmic forces of the-oh crap, text message. Hang on...okay. So, oops, I got poked, let me respond to this, oh and let me check my facebook real quick I need to see if Laurie Cabot has added me to her Friends list, brb"