Lo Scarabeo 9 of Pentacles

zephyr_heart

A lady with a chignon is featured here with her bird under the azure blue sky, but it's not a hunting bird as usually seen in the RWS though, but a dove instead, and it holds a small tip of an olive branch in its beak, too.

Her dress reflects that of her RWS counterpart, but instead of some flower-ish pattern like the RWS, her dress has the pattern seen in the middle of the Thoth 9 Disks, which is 3 circles stuck together and cross one another.

The usual RWS depiction of thriving vine plants are here as well, as well as the pentacle disks growing on it. The golden disks are arranged a la Marseille and are carved with snails, as seen in the RWS (it can be quite hard to see it in RWS decks though, as there's just one there and quite small and conceiled).

Image:http://www.albideuter.de/html/lo_scarabeo_72.html

zephyr_heart

The snail I think, suggests that wealth is collected through perseverance, like the patient snail, progressing steadily little by little, while in the same time carrying it's own shell, which serves as its house and is also its bastion of protection.

kittiann

This is one of the stranger cards in the LS deck. With coins arranged like the Marseilles, a scene that is obviously very RWS, and barest hint of a nod to the Thoth in the pattern on the woman's dress; it still is changed enough to be different from the RWS. I guess this is the kind of card the LWB was talking about when it mentioned that one of the LS tarot's goals was to put a new spin on traditional imagery.

The snail, a very small detail in the RWS, is blown up and represented on all nine of the coins. This obviously gives the symbol of the snail a lot more importance in this card, and I would interpret it much as zephyr_heart suggests. The three overlapping circles on the woman's dress are of course a Thoth nod, but as I can't seem to find any significance for them, I will ignore them in the interpretation. The garden in which the woman strolls is lovely, the grape vines are obviously very healthy and vibrant, and appear to be ready for harvest. I'd interpret this with the Thoth title 'Gain', as obviously a large and wonderful grape harvest will be financially beneficial to the owner of the garden. The woman holds a dove which clutches an olive branch, which speaks to me very strongly of hope.

For those who don't know the story of Noah's ark, I will recount it here quickly. The whole world was flooded, and Noah and his family were on a boat. They were sick of being there, their supplies were running low, so Noah let out a series of birds to fly about and see if they could find land where the boat could come ashore. The second time he sent out a dove, it returned to him with an olive branch in its mouth, indicating that somewhere there was land, supporting plants and trees, on which the boat could rest.

I would interpret the dove as hope for the harvest, hope for 'Gain', if you will. But the woman appears to be already quite well off, and the snails on the coins suggest, as zephyr_heart says, that this was through a very slow process which the woman has persevered through.