Surprising Disappointments

Little_Bear

Hi There, just curious to know if you have ever really fallen in love with a deck online, I mean REALLY felt like it was THE ONE. Only to find that once you had it in your grubby little mitts that you did not connect with it at all?

Yesterday I went to a metaphysical store and finally had a good rummage through a couple of decks on the top of my wish list that I just HAD to have. I HATED all of them. I mean, a real 'ugh, hell no' kind of reaction. I was really surprised.

These included the Wildwood, the Morgan Greer and the New Palladini. I must be more discerning that I realised.

Instead, I walked out with a deck I originally wasn't sure I was going to like. Having seen images online, I thought the artwork was great (and I really love dark and creepy stuff) but wasn't sure I'd really connect with it and use it. The box was sealed and there were no open copies of it to look through but I opted for the Borderless Deviant Moon. And oh boy, do I love this deck. I have been getting stuck in with it today and I am ever so happy with it.

Just goes to show that sometimes you really don't know how you'll feel about a deck until you both come face to face. Some of the things that put me off the decks were card stock, size, borders and of course, the artwork itself. But I was so SURE that I would love these decks before I saw them.

What have been your biggest disappointments? The decks you were mega excited about getting and then felt sad/let down by?

Emily

I think mine would be the Robin Wood. This was about my third deck purchase. I really liked the images online, did a bit of research and saw other cards and really felt a connection with it - online. Also everyone else seemed to love it.

The first thing I noticed was the back design, it didn't seem to fit the feel of the cards then I looked through the cards and although there were cards I did like, the ones I didn't like far outweighed them. I felt pure disappointment with the artwork and realised that I had made a mistake. I couldn't and still can't pinpoint just why I don't like it. I have many decks in my collection that will never be favourites but they all have their place with me.

I'm not even sure if I even used the deck now, I don't remember doing any readings with it and eventually traded it off. Usually decks that I take an instant dislike to, I have a change of mind and eventually like and use them because they are a challenge but after all these years I can say that the Robin Wood is one deck that I would never replace.

Edit:- I'm just putting this little edit here because so many of these posts come back to bite me in the butt in the future (thinking Liber T here) - so I'm beginning to realise to never put 'never' :) OK... Good :)

blueeyetea

Mine was the Gilded Tarot. Liked the images online, got it, but was never inspired to use it. It's hard to describe why. Although the art is very good and intricate, it doesn't elicit any kind of emotional response from me.

Starshower

Me too with the Gilded ... and also the Legacy of the Divine (I was seduced by the story book & semi-sci-fi tale behind it, but didn't connect with the cards at all.)
I truly admire Ciro's work, but find the decks cold, impersonal and 'too perfect' in the flesh / cardstock ... I find they evoke no emotional response in me, though I love his rich colours & ideas and whole atmosphere of ott glamour.
I don't actually 'hate' them, but just cannot use them & really disliked trying to, so I sold them on.

I also took an instant dislike to the Robin Wood. No idea why. It seemed somehow creepy.

So did the Wildwood, with its cartoony exaggeration and ultra-cleanliness. Modern paganism Disneyfied to me.

MaryHeather

Mine was The Incidental Tarot. I loved the idea of how the deck was created, the artwork... I needed that deck.

After I got the deck, I was disappointed. A Chimera as The Devil? Really? The international symbol for a radiation hazard as part of The Tower? WTF?!?

As much as I really really really wanted this deck, I just didn't connect with it. I thought it might have been because the cards were a bit too wide for my hands, so I trimmed it. Still no love. I take it out every so often, and try again. I guess eventually I'll give up and trade it for something else.

Little_Bear

Emily, that's an interesting point about some decks that you initially disliked but then grew to like. I have heard that a lot from people. I've yet to experience this. Usually I just instantly hate a deck or I think I will like it and then I see it and hate it...I really struggle to find decks I can connect with. It's the reason I only have one oracle deck too. I do have better luck with the independent decks mind.

Blueyetea & Starshower, I had a friend who ordered a special edition of the Gilded Tarot when it was first released. She was so stoked about receiving it because she had tried to connect with so many decks and never found one. As soon as she got it though, she hated it and said the exact same thing about it seeming cold to her. I have to say, Ciro's work has always left me feeling rather cold, too plasticy...and don't get me started on the Tarot Illuminati. That deck made me feel physically sick looking at it...so.much.stuff...it's like visual vomit (apologies if anyone likes this deck, no judgement, just my bizarre reaction).

Speaking of independent decks though...Maryheather, I watched a you tube review of the Incidental Tarot deck last night and I know what you mean about those cards. Some odd associations! Though I instantly knew I wouldn't want it because it doesn't have illustrated pips. Any time I find out a deck is Marseille based, I'm just 'nope, nope, nope'. They just do nothing for me.

Snowhunter

I couldn't stop looking at the Wild Unknown pictures online but when I finally got my own deck, I just didn't feel anything for it. I carried it around with me, slept with it under my pillow, shuffled it, let it air out under the full moon, smoked it with sage and palo santo, and put all sorts of rocks on it. Nothing. Just cold, stark lines. Even the more colorful cards have that detached feeling to me. It's in the back of my drawer of decks right now, but I'll give it another chance at some point in the future. Luckily this wasn't one of the first decks I got otherwise I think I'd have given up, mistakenly thinking Tarot isn't for me.

Barleywine

Mine was the Legacy of the Divine. I bought it on the strength of the Fool card but didn't like the court cards one little bit. On the other hand, I think Ciro's Lenormand is "divine," so it's just an isolated case, I guess. But I don't think I'll be buying the Gilded now (although I probably will get the Oracle of Visions.) "Flip-flopping R US" :)

Little_Bear

I couldn't stop looking at the Wild Unknown pictures online but when I finally got my own deck, I just didn't feel anything for it. I carried it around with me, slept with it under my pillow, shuffled it, let it air out under the full moon, smoked it with sage and palo santo, and put all sorts of rocks on it. Nothing. Just cold, stark lines. Even the more colorful cards have that detached feeling to me. It's in the back of my drawer of decks right now, but I'll give it another chance at some point in the future. Luckily this wasn't one of the first decks I got otherwise I think I'd have given up, mistakenly thinking Tarot isn't for me.

Wow, you REALLY did work hard on getting on with it. At least you are giving it a fair shot.
My fave being 'put all sorts of rocks on it'.

I sway between 'ooh, so pretty and mysterious' and 'ooh, so cold and emotionless' on the Wild Unknown. Which is why I haven't bought it yet. Plus, it's kinda expensive and then there's the companion book...the down side of independent decks, I guess. But oh boy, when I find one that I like, I REALLY like it. The Dame Darcy is one such fab independent deck I cherish. I have the Bonefire on it's way to me. I am really hoping this one works for me too. Eeep!

Little_Bear

Mine was the Legacy of the Divine. I bought it on the strength of the Fool card but didn't like the court cards one little bit. On the other hand, I think Ciro's Lenormand is "divine," so it's just an isolated case, I guess. But I don't think I'll be buying the Gilded now (although I probably will get the Oracle of Visions.) "Flip-flopping R US" :)

Yeah, if the courts are rubbish, I tend to dislike the entire deck. One such deck being the Cannon Reed Witches Tarot. Also, it's so tied to the Qabalah and that's a whole other level I have not reached (not sure I want to either). *brain implosion*