Surprising Disappointments

VintageButtons

Mine is the Chrysalis deck. To be fair, I haven't spent much time with it but I thought I'd really love it after getting it and instead I find it harder to connect with than I thought it would be. I'm going to give it more time but I don't know if it's one I'll hang on to or not.

Celtictarot

Sirian Starseed & Dream Enchantress.

I kept having to use the guidebook for the first deck and the second deck was a no go zone for me. Disappointing

PirateQueen

I'm another who doesn't like the Gilded. I don't have anywhere local that has a decent selection of Tarot cards so I have to buy online, and Gilded really appealed to me - online. It was the first set I bought when I started reading tarot again, and thankfully I knew from past experience that it was the cards, not me. A good deck evokes a visceral, emotional response to some degree, some more than others. But with Gilded I get nothing. I really tried to connect with it but the people who say it's cold are right. Also some of the artwork really bugs me. The people are photo manipulated and some of them are badly put together - the King of Pentacles makes me cringe every time I see him.

Snowhunter

"... The Dame Darcy is one such fab independent deck I cherish. I have the Bonefire on it's way to me. I am really hoping this one works for me too. Eeep!"

I love the Dame Darcy deck but the pictures online made me way more excited for it in my mind than in reality. I don't know what I was expecting, maybe that it would be the one that ends my desire to own more decks (lol, right?!).

The Bonefire is growing on me but I missed that one.

That's something I've noticed in the few months I've been collecting decks - the ones I initially labelled as "not me" were the ones I ended up loving and really connecting with (Dame Darcy, Tarot of the Vampyres, Mary-El, Kuan Yin Oracle), and the ones I gravitated towards turned out to be disappointments or short-lived likes (Wild Unknown, Shadowscapes).

Who knows though, I can be fickle so in a week I might call WU the greatest thing since Birthday Cake Frappuccino.

Barleywine

I love the Dame Darcy deck but the pictures online made me way more excited for it in my mind than in reality. I don't know what I was expecting, maybe that it would be the one that ends my desire to own more decks (lol, right?!).

I was all set to buy the Dame Darcy, but I got a close look at one of the cards on-line and thought the line drawing work looked a little careless. So I passed. If I ever see the cards in person I may change my mind. A couple of other disappointments for me were the Shining Tribe (I really wanted to like that one) and the Pythagorean.

Laura Borealis

I was all set to buy the Dame Darcy, but I got a close look at one of the cards on-line and thought the line drawing work looked a little careless. So I passed. If I ever see the cards in person I may change my mind. A couple of other disappointments for me were the Shining Tribe (I really wanted to like that one) and the Pythagorean.

It IS a little careless. But that's part of what I like about it. It reminds me of the 'zines we used to write and draw in the 80s, xeroxed and stapled together. Those were fun :)

And her anatomy is a little wonky here and there. When I was first looking through it, I thought, "Dame Darcy doesn't let anatomy get in the way of a good drawing." :D

To be on topic, I was disappointed with the Tarot of the III Millennium. I love most of the majors. The minors are duds. It should have been a majors-only deck.

skyfiery

Mine would have to be The Wooden Tarot, which was both disappointing and a little bit sad in itself.

I'd bought the limited edition major arcana and loved it to bits, and when I saw the Kickstarter for the entire deck, I backed it. When I got it some months later and looked through the cards (the major arcana still had the same cards; the aces for the full deck had been changed), it gave off a distant and aloof feeling. I've only worked with it once, but it's now just sitting there.

lightpers

Can i somehow alter the dissappointments not to the deck(s) but to my self? LOL

personally i thought i would be connect with Alice Tarot, every details of the deck is beautiful and astonishing, but it kills me really because i just can't connect the dots when use it for readings.

but worse case happened with Mystic Dreamers Tarot :(

BodhiSeed

I just got the second run of the Prisma Visions Tarot and I am very disappointed in the color. What looked like vibrant colors in the scans I've seen online appear dull in the deck I received. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else finds the colors much less brighter than anticipated.

VintageButtons

I just got the second run of the Prisma Visions Tarot and I am very disappointed in the color. What looked like vibrant colors in the scans I've seen online appear dull in the deck I received. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else finds the colors much less brighter than anticipated.

Oh no, I'm due to get this any day. I'll let you know if it seems muted.