Traveling AT Member Deck

Daizdy

This idea was inspired by Cyclamen's thread, "Releasing Decks into the Wild". I think very highly of the members of AT and thought it would great to be able to use a deck for a week or two that members have used and that may have travelled all over the world. After one member has used it then send it on to another member to use for a time. A wonderful suggestion Cyclamen came up with is to use the deck to give a reading for an AT member before sending it on to another. When the deck reaches the end of the line, then either it goes back to the original owner or possibly be auctioned off and the proceeds go to a charitable cause or even go to Solandia to use to sponsor a gift subscription for a non-paying member.

The process is certainly open to any and all suggestions. Some thoughts/ideas I've had are:
Concerning safety of giving your address to another member: Require a minimum number of posts to participate or simply do a reading asking if the recipient is sincere. (If safety is an issue for you)
I thought it would be nice to leave your mark and wondered if signing one of the cards we're partial to would affect a reading. Or maybe sending a card that will accompany the deck in its travels.

Certainly the more people involved the more exciting it will be! Anyone interested?! :D

Jeannette

Tarot Garden volunteers to set the "starter deck" in motion. I can post a list of choices -- I leave it to Daizdy to determine how the "starter deck" is chosen from that list, and where (i.e., to whom) it should first be sent.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

cyclamen

Ah Daizdy - I'm glad you posted this! I sent a PM to Sulis to ask which forum we should put it in, but I suppose that she will just move it if it should be in Trading or something.... :)

Asenath

Perhpas a thread could be started for people who have received the thread to sign in and let others on the site know where it's been (country, city).

NightWing

Question or Two

This is a very interesting idea, Daizdy!

A couple of "technical" questions:

1. If the AT Traveling deck was starting out in the U.S.(Iowa, I presume) should the first few stops also be within the U.S.? This might allow any "bugs" to be worked out of the process without the extra hassle of international borders.

2. Should there be a time limit that recipients commit to in order to keep he deck moving with some dispatch?

3. Is it easier and cheaper for a "used" deck to travel internationally, because of taxes, duties, etc.? (I think it would have to be identified as a "gift" with no monetary value to avoid some of this). Jeannette?

4. I presume each recipient would be responsible for the postage, etc. to the next person. Yes?

5. I like the idea of a Journal for the deck, either travelling with it, or posted here, or perhaps both. Each entry could include names, locations, dates, spreads, readings, comments, etc. Does that seem reasonable?

Anyway, I'd like to be a part of such a project. Best wishes!

Daizdy

Jeanette! So generous of you to donate the "starter deck"! Thank you very much! Personally, I feel you should choose the deck but if you'll post a list of the choices we'll see how other participants feel. Thanks very much to "The Tarot Garden"!

Asenath, very good idea to make a sign-up thread. When we work out all the details I'll start a sign-up thread. I was very impressed with a thread of Satinangel's when she was offering her "Giving Back Readings". It was very organized and easily kept track of. She simply updated her original post with new names and the readings she had completed. I think it's a great way to keep the list organized.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=46972&page=4&pp=10

Satori

Well, I'm interested.
Not sure what the link you posted is for?
Please PM me if another link gets posted as a sign-up.

And if jeanette is offering a deck...hmmm, something really cool, like Light and Shadow or Archeon???? That would be fun....

Jeannette

Would Any of These Work?

These are the "donor decks" I have close at hand -- would any of these suffice?

General
- Goddess Tarot
- Spiral Tarot
- Connolly Tarot
- Hudes Tarot
- Renaissance Tarot (Williams)
- Art Nouveau Tarot (Myers)
- Golden Dawn Tarot (Regardie/Wang)

Cultural Themes
- Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg
- Tarot of the Ages
- Ancestral Path Tarot
- Tarot of Northern Shadows
- Chinese Tarot
- Native American Tarot (Gonzalez)

Marseilles
- Tarot of Marseilles (Lo Scarabeo edition) (NOTE: Whaddya know? I never got this edition into the Tarot Garden database, and it looks as if Solandia hasn't got it on AT either.)
- Spanish Tarot (Fournier edition)

Fantasy
- Lord of the Rings Tarot
- Tarot of the Cat People

Deck/Book Sets
- Goddess Tarot
- Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg
- Cosmic Tarot

If none of these will suffice, then I'll dig deeper and see what else is there.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

divinerguy

NightWing said:
This is a very interesting idea, Daizdy!

(snipped here)

5. I like the idea of a Journal for the deck, either travelling with it, or posted here, or perhaps both. Each entry could include names, locations, dates, spreads, readings, comments, etc. Does that seem reasonable?

Put the journal in a sticky thread, so we can all watch its progress. That way, we can all participate in the project, albeit vicariously.

Daizdy

NightWing, very good questions you've posted!

1. Cyclamen and I thought the idea of a first come first serve basis was best, unless anyone has a better idea. I think the deck going around the states first is a good idea and then shipping to participants internationally for it to circulate. It may be cheaper as well. (Maybe?) There would be two lists, one for the US and one for overseas.

2. I think a maxium of two weeks would be sufficient time to use and enjoy the deck. Any suggestions?

4.,5. A recipient would have to consider before signing up that they are responsible for the postage to the next participant. Also, a participant may want to consider that they might be the one who will be shipping the deck overseas. I'm willing to chip in for the cost of that if need be.

I love the idea of the journal shipping with the deck! It would add so much to the experience and the deck for whoever ends up owning the deck BUT adding a journal would add size and weight for shipping costs. I'm ok with that, what does everyone think though? I had thought of a card or something to sign to travel with the deck. It might be cheaper and then as DivinerGuy suggested, make a sticky dedicated to the journaling of the deck's travels. I'm ok either way but personally, I like the idea of a journal to travel with the deck. Any suggestions?

Elf, I just posted the link just to show how Satinangel managed her thread.

I'm soooo looking forward to this! Thanks to all who want to participate so far! :D