packed 8th house

Keslynn

Hey all,
I have my birth time to within an hour's span though I'm hoping to get the exact one very soon. Still, working within that hour span, I still have a ton of planets in my 8th house. Sun, Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Mercury and Venus. Venus is in Cancer but the rest are in Leo. I was reading an older astrology manual and it just told me all of the ways I was going to die. *lol* I guess that's how the 8th house used to be thought of. I know that it does have to do with death, but what else? I'm just trying to brainstorm and figure out my durned birth chart.

:) Kes

Minderwiz

The Eighth is one of the traditionally akward houses - because it doesn't make a major aspect to the Ascendant like most of the rest. The sixth, eighth, twelfth and second are seen as being 'weak' or 'troublesome' placements, although the second seems to get the more positive press.

Death is traditionally associated with the eighth, this possibly originates from an association of eighth House and eighth sign - Scorpio marks the entry into Autumn when the trees shed their leaves and plants die back for the winter. This is the death that is repeated each year. It is also possible to view this process as the return of enery back into the seed to concentrate and burst forth again in Spring - death and birth go together.

From Death comes the link with other people's things (through inheritance) and possibly the link with taxes (taxes on the estates of dead people are one of the earliest forms of taxation) and financial loss (a financial death). At a modern level its possible to also see the link with insurance (life assurance, insurance against bad things happening).

The traditional ruler of Scorpio is Mars and Mars is also the planet of sexual drive so its possible that the eighth house association with sex comes in from this link - though the writer Deborah Houlding points out that traditionally the eighth is to do with the complete opposite of creativity.

The modern ruler of Scorpio is Pluto and this brings in ideas of transformation and moving to the 'higher octave' of spirit rather than the mundane (death is also a birth into spirit).

I certainly wouldn't interpret lots of planets in the eighth as signifying that death is likely to be more prevalent in your life - after all we only die once (except for cats) - It might indicate significant inheritances, the importance of sexual union to partnerships, the importance of property to partnerships, a tendency to be more occupied with other people's property rather than your own (the polar opposite second house).

The Cancer cusp is likely to make you sensitive to eighth house matters, it may mean that you need to confront the past in order to achieve transformation (for Cancer transformation will be psychological - linked to feelings, moods, the desire to protect and nurture).

Hope this helps

Minderwiz

zorya

what a danger a little knowledge can be...

:eek:
i'm scaring myself now! i have mars and the moon in my eighth. doesn't seem like that could bode well. lol.

Minderwiz

Placements should NEVER be seen as scary!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Every one of us has all twelve Houses and all twelve signs play a role - yes some houses will be more important to some than others but we all have an eighth House and death comes to us all eventually - however you can have all nine planets in the eighth and live a long and prosperous life - possibly off multiple inheritances from rich relatives!!!!! So long as you pay the taxman (also eighth House) this may not bring happiness but you can definitely be miserable in comfort.

Mars is quite well placed in the eighth (as traditional ruler of Scorpio), though the Moon is rather weak in the eighth (Moon is in Fall in Scorpio). Mars here can add passion and intensity to sexual relationships and also provide strong support for others.

The Moon here can help you tune in to others emotional states and it can add a strong emotional overlay to sexual relationships.

Most people would find these two characteristics quite desirable. In terms of business relationships and indeed endings and death Mars will bring the assertiveness to overcome issues and the Moon will bring a senstivity in dealing with the issues - if they are in conjunction then these might tend to get in the way of each other but again both are desirable skills.

You don't give much chart detail so I don't know what aspects these planets make - which will affect the strength with which they carry out these roles. Even if the aspects are challenging they may be the spur to success. Positive thinking is one of the best approaches to your horoscope.

Best wishes

Minderwiz

zorya

ahhh, minderwiz! thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. i feel much better! as this interpretation makes a great deal of sense to me. :D my moon is at 5 degrees cancer and mars at 9 degrees cancer. i definitely have much to learn here!

cricket

...though the writer Deborah Houlding points out that traditionally the eighth is to do with the complete opposite of creativity.

OK, now I'm confused. Maybe it's that I don't know a thing about all of this, or it could be because it's way, way past bedtime, but that statement just makes no sense to me.

Why would death be the opposite of creativity? Doesn't a person have to die to be recreated or reincarnated? Or, for that matter, it only makes sense that something somewhere has to die for another something to be created and live. The higher powers can only fuel so much life, imo.

What about all the stories involving death of some sort? Especially the ones explaining -why- things die. Death is the cause of the creation of those stories, isn't it?

I don't know. Just some ramblings. It's most likely in the wrong spot, too. If it needs moved/deleted, please do.

AquarianGoddess

Keslynn,

An hour's span is a lot in astrology considering that each four minutes of time changes the ascendant by one degree. You may discover that some or all of those planets are either in the 9th or 7th houses....of course you won't know for sure until you get the exact time of birth...and we'd like to know too!

AG

Tor

Keslynn....

....I think you would be a great healer!

Minderwiz

Cricket.

Deb Houlding does not really see the eighth as the house ruling sex - which after all is one of the most creative activities not a 'death' activity. She thinks sex is more appropriately ruled by the fifth House. Now I'm not sure that I fully agree with her - I can see the linkage for sex with the intention of leading to pregnancy and indeed for recreational sex. However sex is also part of the drives underlying our psyche (especially if you are a Freudian) and there clearly is a hidden side to it - it can be used as a transformational activity (sex magic) and it can be used to feed hidden psychological desires.

Deb is a traditional astrologer and she sees the eighth as a house of death, suffering and pain - these may be needed as a precursor to transformation but she doesn't see them as the transformation process.

I think you will find that most modern astrologers do see the eighth as transformational and do see it as having a spiritual dimension but that is not the traditional area of rulership for this house.

Regards

Minderwiz

cricket

Ooooohhh... I get it now! Thanks bundles! :D