Basic meanings of sibilla cards - site or book

Aristaeus

bodhran said:
I usually expand the meanings when I'm actually doing a reading (but that varies for each reading), but I'd be glad for you to have a go at it!:D

:D If I only knew, I would! If I had time, I would translate Gabriella's meanings taken from Madame Sheyla.

Thank you, Gavriela, for the link!

Here are the Spades:

Dispiacere: Regret, sorrow, worry
Vecchia signora: Old woman
Vedovo: Widower
Ammalato: Patient, sick person
Morte: Death
Sospiri: Sighs
Disgrazia: Misfortune, accident
Gelosia: Jealousy
Prigione: Prison
Militare: Soldier
Il Nemico: The Enemy
La Nemica: The Enemy (female)

The rest later!
Sacerdote: Priest

MareSaturni

I own TWO sibillas, one is Sibilla della Zingara and the other is one published by Il Meneghello that looks like La Vera Sibilla (and i comes with a booklet in Italian), and have no idea how to use both decks.

Maybe we should start a sutdying group? I find these decks so interesting :)

alteredego

Marina said:
I own TWO sibillas, one is Sibilla della Zingara and the other is one published by Il Meneghello that looks like La Vera Sibilla (and i comes with a booklet in Italian), and have no idea how to use both decks.

Maybe we should start a sutdying group? I find these decks so interesting :)

I would be in if there was a study group. I've always wanted to understand how to use these.

I think the thing I have the hardest time with as far as the sibilla decks go is how to lay the cards - the best way to do it anyway. I think sibilla are supposed to tell a story?

cardlady22

finish the translation for the Clubs?

Just wondering if Aristaeus will post the English translation for the Italian titles, since this thread has the Hearts, Diamonds & Spades already.

Gavriela

Clubs:

1. Imeneo - Marriage, wedding
2. Superbia - Pride, vanity
3. Viaggio - Journey
4. Amica - Female friend
5. Fortuna - Fortune
6. Consolante sorpreso - Consoling surprise
7. Gran consolazione - Great consolation
8. Riunione - Meeting
9. Allegria - Joy, happiness
10. Leggerezza - Lightness, giddiness
Jack: Domestico - Manservant, often hidden enemy
Queen: Giovane fanciulla - Young lady, girl
King: Dottore - Doctor

cardlady22

thanks

Thank you, Gavriela!

Gavriela

Not a problem, CardLady. Now if I could just get as good with it as I am with Lenormand.....

Never going to happen but I still enjoy sibillas :)

Le Fanu

I have two Sibillas; one of the 52-card Sibillas which has keywords, and I have a pretty basic reading knowledge of Italian and so can understand the keywords.

Then I have a 32-card Sibilla, which nobody seems to mention here. It has longer sentences which are more difficult for me to understand. It is called "Antiche" Sibilla Italiana. Does anyone know anyhwere I could find translations of these card titles? It bears no resemblene to the 52-card deck. Says things like "wicked widow will betray you" and the like... "a loyal, faithful husband" etc...

cardlady22

32 card sibilla?

I thought the 32 cards decks were usually a gypsy style. (no 2 thru 6 pips)

When I did a web search, I got mentions of a Lo Scarabeo ~1860 reproduction deck (1996) but the spelling is 'Antica Sibilla Italiana' ~ is your deck different than this one?
http://www.macrolibrarsi.it/libri/__antica_sibilla_italiana.php

http://trionfi.com/Images-of-Tarot-Cards/
click the Fortune Telling list and choose it from the list of 32 card decks

http://www.ilgiardinodeilibri.it/libri/__antica_sibilla_italiana_libro_carte.php
appears different from the above

Le Fanu

That´s the one! And all three links point to the same deck; that´s the deck I have. I just mis-spelt it, I now see it´s "Antica" and not Antiche...

It´s a lovely deck, but as you can see from the illustrations, there are a couple of lines of text which can be more difficult to decipher than the single "keywords" of the 52-card deck. I speak another Latin language so I have a reading knowledge of Italian, but some words I don´t understand. Although it is a beautiful deck, I think that the meanings are a bit dated; a bit 19th Century, and very much in the vein of the traditional fortune telling genre.. "handsome, dark-haired man", "a trip out to the country"... The 52-card Sibilla, with it´s single keywords is easier to incorporate into a reading...

But thanks for those links; Ive been trying to find out about this deck and got nowhere...