Thoth Study Group -- shall we?

joya250

HEY! I go away for a few days -- and look what happens! :) I'm so excited that we're all on board for this....

some suggestions of how we study the deck...

I think we need to study it's relation to the Kabbalah, the Astrological signs (on each card), Elemental correspondences, and numerology.....

and, I think we need to use a variety of texts... I know when I sit down to study this deck I have at least 3 or 4 books open in front of me, referencing back and forth between each one. .... this way we get the entire meaning and symbology behind the cards... and we can share and teach each other from our individual books. (I know that I learn twice as good when I'm trying to teach someone else.)

I am also curious too, like I mentioned in my previous post, to find out what other's PERSONAL experiences are with a card, or cards.... since this is such an "academic" deck... it helps to hear how the cards relate to everyday life... (though, maybe this sort of stuff should be kept in another, secondary thread, to the hard core study group thread, if you guys think it's too subjective?)

but, now the question is... HOW shall we begin? In the words of Nike, let's "just do it" ..... and if we don't like how it's going or if there is too much structure, or too little structure, then we can change it as we go....

joya250

dur! I was too impatient to read all the way down before posting....

looks like we've already begun! :)

DeLani

Tarot Hermit said:

I also have been doing a lot of thought about the Knight of Swords that I wrote about earlier and wondering if there really are words on those propeller like wings on the top of the helmet. If it is the four directions what is that supposed to mean? Has anyone been able to look at that card? I do know that Crowleyand Lady Harris always had a purpose for everything they portayed on the cards, but have not found any explanation for it. Maybe they just are little squiggles after all?

Tarot Hermit

Hey Tarot Hermit,
Those words on the Knight's helmet are: North, South, East, & West. I'm not sure what it means, but I think it means the four winds, that he is the master of.
DeLani

Temperance413

Sorry Tarot Hermit, I thought you ment the wings themselves, they don't have words on them.
Temp

Tarot Hermit

DeLani said:

Hey Tarot Hermit,
Those words on the Knight's helmet are: North, South, East, & West. I'm not sure what it means, but I think it means the four winds, that he is the master of.
DeLani

According to Gerd Ziegler in 'Mirrors of the Soul',' the four propellers refer to the four heavenly directions (just as you said) and indicate the the power of thought is bounded neither by time nor space. A little further on he says.......'Body, intellect and spirit (the three swallows) are in harmony and fly alongside him. I had wondered what type of birds they were, it is nice to have an opinion on this. Thanks DeLani for confirming that they were words.

All three of the books that I am using for this study says that the Knight of Swords is the fiery part of air.

Tarot Hermit.

Tarot Hermit

Temperance413 said:
Sorry Tarot Hermit, I thought you ment the wings themselves, they don't have words on them.
Temp

I appreciate the fact that you looked for me. I will try to be more clear in the future. You mentioned earlier about some information you have on the thought that was behind the yellow wings. I don't see any wings, did you perhaps confuse the Knight of Swords with the Prince of Swords, which does have yellow circular things that could be interpreted as wings? Will you share your knowledge of this with us?

Tarot Hermit

Dragonfly

Study

I cant wait let me know when the group is going to start I love this deck. I have most of the books I like the Akron- Hajo Banzha book the best so far. Keep me posted.

Jewel

Re: Study

Dragonfly said:
I cant wait let me know when the group is going to start I love this deck. I have most of the books I like the Akron- Hajo Banzha book the best so far. Keep me posted.

The group has started! *LOL* When I can I will review and take concepts from the Angeles Arien book and post them, and will try to see if an exercise for the application of concepts is included in the chapter or if I can make one up. I am in several of the other study groups so it may take me some time. Others have chosen to go over random cards and disect them. This looks like it will be a very dymanic study group with several approaches. So jump on in, we are in motion :)

moondust

Great we are started. BUT if we keep posting here on this thread it will be hard to scroll/follow with all the different approaches.
Could we maybe have 3 threads going, one for the dissecting of individual cards, one for the concepts based on the books we are going through, and the third for misc/general/all else, like the question about the words on the wings?? I'm new to this message boards so I don't know the propers and possibles.

Jewel

Moondust, as done with other study group threads you are correct we will need to break it up. I think we will end up with many more threads than 3. I suggest that any threads be started with "TD - book/card/etc" for example when start posting the stuff from the Angeles Arien book I will post as follows: "TD-Angeles Arien Cpht. 1" the "TD" stands for Thoth Deck. That way we know which threads are part of this study group. We usually do an FAQ post which tells participants how the group works and it is posted by the group leader (which this one does not have one set leader yet I do not think.) Volunteers?