The Pamela Colman Smith Centennial Deck review thread

rwcarter

I was never asked for proof of purchase or receipt. I just emailed (actually I inquired about an errata sheet) and they shipped me a replacement book.

Emily

I emailed too, just really to voice my disappointment in a faulty book and I had a nice email come back offering me a replacement book. My second set is the same too, no World, but I'll just print a replacement sheet out and glue it in like I have done for my working copy. I don't really need 4 copies of the same book just as long as I have one complete copy. :)

I'm glad now I never bought this book before or else they would be taking over.

PAVaughn

I am missing that page as well. I didn't call and order a new one though, I have 2 other complete editions laying about the house...

I'd love to know "how many is a few?" Most people I know have the World write up missing. But U.S Games customer service is superb now. I too have had emails from Mr Kaplan and managed to have a bit of a conversation about this and that during our correspondence.

Like we really don't like the glossy Printed in Italy decks! :)

Bhavana

Like we really don't like the glossy Printed in Italy decks! :)

Haha, my email probably said how much I adore the glossy decks...but then, it isn't so much the glossiness, I love all USGames decks, they have the least problems with warping, the cards are so sturdy.

I don't have any kind of receipt. Is that gonna be necessary? :( Or can I just email customer svc and ask?

No, Stormdancer, no receipt necessary. Just message them thru the USGames website. I think Kaplan is the one who gets all the messages, so you will probably hear back from him directly. In general, I find that the majority of tarot publishers are eager to fix problems and make happy customers...the only company that refused to help me by replacing damaged cards was St. Martin's Press. (And that was after I offered to pay for them, even..) But mostly, the various companies are good about replacing defective materials. I got my new Pictorial Key in a few days.

Emily

I love the cardstock on the Centennial, it shuffles just right - it feels a lot like my older used decks did before they started going mad with the laminate. My pet hate is a deck that won't fan over a table because sometimes that how I do my readings, shuffle then fan and pick the cards from the fan. The Centennial fans brilliantly. :)

Bhavana

I love the cardstock on the Centennial, it shuffles just right - it feels a lot like my older used decks did before they started going mad with the laminate. My pet hate is a deck that won't fan over a table because sometimes that how I do my readings, shuffle then fan and pick the cards from the fan. The Centennial fans brilliantly. :)

I love the cardstock too...so smooth, and has such a nice sound as the cards are sliding off one another. I treat this deck very gently, no riffling, no poker type shuffling - I am treating all of my decks this way now, so that they will stay nice longer...but this one especially. Just hand over hand shuffling. I am also thinking of getting a back up, I know that if I have one, I will use this one more.

Emily

I love the cardstock too...so smooth, and has such a nice sound as the cards are sliding off one another. I treat this deck very gently, no riffling, no poker type shuffling - I am treating all of my decks this way now, so that they will stay nice longer...but this one especially. Just hand over hand shuffling. I am also thinking of getting a back up, I know that if I have one, I will use this one more.

I've packed my back up away, ready for when I need it. I never thought I could love a RWS, it's always the colouring that puts me off. I learned on the so-called Original with its limited colours and black outlining, I appreciated it for what it was but I never really liked it. The only standard size RWS I have is the Spanish version. I ordered it by mistake, didn't realise it was Spanish until it came but when I looked through it, the colours used did nothing for me, I really dislike the yellow in the cards, so I never sent it back or ordered an English copy.

So with the Centennial I was pleasantly surprised with the softer colours used, nothing jars or is glaring, still colourful without looking washed out. None of the artwork hidden by the colouring. It's also easier to read and it is a pleasure to use. I've seen more on these cards and am getting more out of them than I thought I would. I still think that if USGames were to sell this deck just on its own, then it would rival their Standard RWS.

Parzival

The Pamela Colman Smith Centennial Deck

You must be a "fan" of this deck. Seriously, the colors really speak with clarity and spirit. And the back design makes sense as a remembering of the artist.

Emily

You must be a "fan" of this deck. Seriously, the colors really speak with clarity and spirit. And the back design makes sense as a remembering of the artist.

You're right, :) I am very much a fan of this deck. The only thing I would change is to get rid of the copyright mark on the front, but I'm working on that.

Aure

I don't think I ever replied here when someone asked me about my warping PCS deck... Well, guess what? The warping was only temporary. When I first removed the wrapping, the book covers and the cards warped but they returned to normal and have been so since. I even went and shuffled my deck in the bathroom after shower when it was slightly more humid there and it did the trick! :D

I still love the deck enormously. I've tried the other RWS decks but no, they still don't work for me like this one. I would love to buy a replacement deck just in case but I don't like the idea of having to buy the whole set again. I really wish they'd release it as deck only! You know what I'd love too? A double set that contains a regular PCS deck and a pocket size one. I guess I'll cave in eventually and buy the whole set, again.