Is the trend computer generated art?

Alta

Thanks Jenny_writer, interesting comments. Some decks that are (as far as I know) entirely handpainted take years to complete. The completely hand-painted Mary-El Tarot for example. And Marie has commented that now that the deck is finished she has to go back and completely re-do some of the first cards.... ouch! And Joanna who did the Gaian used (going by a partly remembered post of hers) a combination of photographs, water colour and computer work to complete her images. And it still took years.

Gloria Jean

Alta said:
Thanks Jenny_writer, interesting comments. Some decks that are (as far as I know) entirely handpainted take years to complete. The completely hand-painted Mary-El Tarot for example. And Marie has commented that now that the deck is finished she has to go back and completely re-do some of the first cards.... ouch! And Joanna who did the Gaian used (going by a partly remembered post of hers) a combination of photographs, water colour and computer work to complete her images. And it still took years.

I can relate to 'going back and re-doing some of the cards' because I did the same thing many times. I have canvases that are half finished and abandoned because the card design was completely changed on the computer thumbnail. I have a couple of paintings that I had intended to be in the deck that were completely abandoned for a different design. The way the project has to be worked is to do the 78 (or 80) designs and then tweek them as a group. Also, when you compare the first designs with the last few, you can see how much your style has changed or improved, and you want to go back and tweek the first ones.

Its a huge undertaking that is greatly aided by the computer as a tool. Changing things and correcting mistakes is so much easier than when you are working with paint and canvas.

When I start painting my cards as a whole project, I will know in my mind what designs I will use and the style in which every one of them will be painted. That is 80 paintings, all planned out in advance. I wonder if I will every get that finished. Right now I have the paint, I have the canvases, and I have the design ideas and layouts. I don't intend copy all of these exactly, I want to simplify them and paint them in my own style. Most of the images in my cards are from old masters art, manipulated for the card. I did not paint these images, I just moved them around and made them into what I wanted and did some computer painting with them.

Thats the plan anyway. It may take me 10 years, but at least I will have something to keep me busy. That's why I am looking for a way to print my cards so that I don't have to work in manufacturing them and selling them. I want to paint.

yirabeth

I think the whole computer art and "everyone can do it" thing is rather like owning a camera. Sure, I can take pictures, any time I want! But you know, they're never going to be considered art, nor get awards, and certainly no one would ever buy one from me! (Nor can I do art, but that's beside the point...lol) But some people have a knack, or talent, or what have you..and make their living with the camera, and maybe make history with their camera...

It's still the person behind the camera, not the camera. And it's the person behind the computer, not the computer.

Oh yeah and..don't diss my deck!! It's my precioussss it is! (Said tongue-in-cheek..I wouldn't truly dare to tell an artist what to say about his own work...hehe) Still, I truly love my Gilded, to the point of thinking it may end up being my only deck-in-rotation..and I was a little dismayed to read that Mr. Marchetti was not entirely pleased with it :) Because I think it's perfection on cardstock!

~Yira

cirom

I resurrected this thread from a couple of months back because I'd recently received a few PMs on the subject.

I've provided some samples of the various stages during the process of producing this particular image. Its not a claim for good or bad, that remains subjective of course. But it is one example of the the myriad of styles and technique that could fall under a generic "digital" medium and hopefully confirm that there is still plenty of human input involved.

A. Initial sketch from photographic reference.
B. Initial dabs of tone to suggest light shadow and form.
C. More light and shadow and additional finer line work.
D. Some color tone for warmth (rosy cheeks and nose)
E. More contrast to give depth.
F. little dabs of light flesh color to suggest some sheen to the skin texture.
G. Addition of extra highlight to forehead to add drama and suggest a strong light source..
F. Use of the face in the final composed image. The Alchemist from a new Oracle project.

Attachments

• STAGES-A-B.jpg
    STAGES-A-B.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 93
  • STAGES-C-D.jpg
    STAGES-C-D.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 90
  • STAGES-E-F.jpg
    STAGES-E-F.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 100

cirom

final reference of the sequence

Attachments

• STAGES-G-H.jpg
    STAGES-G-H.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 95

Alta

Interesting Ciro. I am glad that you shared those, I know that you always say that it is mostly done by hand using your computer, but could never envision how that might happen.

Gloria Jean

That is so totally awesome I am overcome with glee. I have been putting off buying a tablet to paint with a pen on the computer because I am afraid if I did I would never paint on a canvas again, and I have a garage full of canvases that I bought for this tarot project. (Right now I am still painting with a mouse in paint shop pro 7.)

Wow, portraits are one of my favorite subjects. Thanks so much for sharing this! Here is some of my portrait work on canvas :

http://www.springfieldcolorado.com/myart/portraits.html

Last best of show winner: Name of painting: "Unbroken"

http://www.springfieldcolorado.com/a01/eddie600.jpg

yirabeth

Your work is beautiful, Jenny_Writer...I loved looking at your works. Thanks for the links.

~Yira

Gloria Jean

yirabeth said:
Your work is beautiful, Jenny_Writer...I loved looking at your works. Thanks for the links.

~Yira

Thank you! I need to get myself back painting, I spend so much time on the computer... :) I feel a part of me that is sad when I don't paint.

Clou

Thank you all

Well, you have certainly all given me a lot to think about! I thought I'd start this thread and then sit back and just watch...very interesting input from all of you. Thanks to Ciro to answering as well.
The upshot is that I'm going to have to keep painting away the 'old fashioned way' and leave the computer/scan job to the last step prior to printing. If I were living in Florida I'd be tempted to take a class from Ciro but it's a bit of a commute from my present home in the UK. Ah well!