Oracle deck from Ciro!!!

divinemsm

I think that the people who buy Oracle of Dreams will be the same people who have bought all of your other decks, as well as people who buy strictly oracles. I do not foresee you having a problem selling this deck as your work is simply amazing.
I like the idea of doing an Oracle. There are really no hard and fast rules or structure involved, so you are really able to let your imagination run wild. Just from what you have show us, Ciro, I am excited to see what you come up with. I will be ordering a copy as well.
PS I LOVE the box that the mm ToD came in. A similar box for the Oracle would be fantastic!

Morgane_49

I'm very excited about this deck, and I generally prefer tarot over oracle decks. I wouldn't miss out on this one for the world!

BlueDragonfly

*gasps* I'm so excited to hear about this! Add me to that list of eager recipients-to-be!

It's time to hone my intuitive skills in anticipation of this Oracle deck. I haven't worked a great deal with oracles(yet), as the complexities of Tarot have dominated my thoughts of late. And the MM ToD has held me in thrall since it's arrival!

Ciro, I love your work, thank you for even more inspiration!

~BD~

cirom

Debra said:
A tranformation playing card deck with a $10,000 prize for solving a riddle, the Key to the Kingdom http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=45360

and a treasure-hunt book, Masquerade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_(book)

Debra, I had already referred to Masquerade as being a refernce for this idea, in the deck creation forum.
cirom said:
Nevertheless, you are right in your reference to Kit William's Masquerade, that is somewhat the direction, but unlike that project which was produced in the 70's, my plan is to incorporate an interactive element as well.
Can't go into too much detail at this point without it actually being a premature clue, but think in terms of Masquerade meets Myst.

I was not aware of the other project you provided a link to. I'm curious though wether by providing these links it was to indicate that a deck/book puzzle had been successfully done in the past, or simply that the idea was not an original one ?.

I ask because I'm now a little concerned that by offering a prize its being construed as a "gimmick" to sell more decks. One, I really would hate to think that is how it comes across. I would like to believe that the project would have merits in its own right. It would also be very counter productive, both to the customer who would have a very very slim chance of winning, and secondly to be quite frank to myself. In all likely hood I will end up having to self publish. Selling self published decks without the support of marketing, distribution, a retail presence etc etc. is already a challenge. I very much doubt that the "lure" of a prize would generate enough additional sales to even cover its value.

My intentions are to create a self standing Oracle deck who's images lend themselves to some thought provoking flexibility and interaction. The puzzle is a personal fun indulgence. While there will be clues incorporate into several cards it will be in a non invasive way. Certainly there will be no clues written onto the cards that would interfere with their primary function. The questions and the puzzle itself will be separate, not physically part of the package.
I would like to believe that who who enjoy such things will participate in the puzzle simple for the challenge, But since it will be difficult, I thought a prize would be appropriate. Nevertheless if a "gimmick" is how its coming across, then even at this early stage, I'm now having doubts.

Morgane_49

Ciro, I don't see it as a 'gimmick' at all, and I don't think you're other fans will, either. It's just a potential extra bonus to being a 'Ciro groupie'!

I'm not a puzzle person, so in all likelihood I will just enjoy the deck, as I've done with the others of yours that I have.

Us 'tarot folks' will be lured in by the art...Everything else is just icing on the cake!

Myrrha

I thought the puzzle element was a charming idea. It struck me more that you (Ciro) were participating in a tradition of picture-puzzles than as a gimmick. The idea of a puzzle adds an element of fantasy that seems to suit your style of artwork, like a hidden door concealed in a trompe l'oeil mural.

I did think that the oracle pictures themselves would be the clues and that they would have to be examined closely to give the solution. Even if the puzzle is somehow separate it is a fine idea and I really hope you go through with it.

EDIT: I'm not explaining this very well, but Ciro's work has this quality of mystery (is that the lady's very long nose or is it just a mask? Or is it a mask to conceal the fact of her liar's nose?) and somehow a puzzle and a prize to be won would fit very well with this. The illusions and mysteries become a maze with a treasure in the center.

cirom

Mellaenn said:
Ciro, as ever I am a huge fan and I am happily anticipating your oracle deck. I liked the sample you posted here and I agree with Hearthcricket's read of it.

Will we get a peek of anything else at the January meetup?

Hopefully yes, a few more card drafts. I'll also be explaining something of the structure. I.e. sub divisions of the cards into general categories, how two or more cards might be used in sequence to arrive at more complex conclusions. I've already shown preliminary schematics to Garnet, so at the next meeting I'll be test driving the idea with the rest of you. See you there.

cirom

Myrrha said:
I did think that the oracle pictures themselves would be the clues and that they would have to be examined closely to give the solution.

That is exactly what is planned. As this attached example demonstrates. Primarily its an image pure and simple, that will have a rational provided in the book as to its role as part of the oracle. However it also has two clues. But you would only know that if you decided to participate and were aware of the questions.

If that makes sense.....

Attachments

• oracle-of-dreams-card.jpg
    oracle-of-dreams-card.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 228

dvorah ophir

to cirom

cirom said:
Debra, I had already referred to Masquerade as being a refernce for this idea, in the deck creation forum.

I was not aware of the other project you provided a link to. I'm curious though wether by providing these links it was to indicate that a deck/book puzzle had been successfully done in the past, or simply that the idea was not an original one ?.

I ask because I'm now a little concerned that by offering a prize its being construed as a "gimmick" to sell more decks. One, I really would hate to think that is how it comes across. I would like to believe that the project would have merits in its own right. It would also be very counter productive, both to the customer who would have a very very slim chance of winning, and secondly to be quite frank to myself. In all likely hood I will end up having to self publish. Selling self published decks without the support of marketing, distribution, a retail presence etc etc. is already a challenge. I very much doubt that the "lure" of a prize would generate enough additional sales to even cover its value.

My intentions are to create a self standing Oracle deck who's images lend themselves to some thought provoking flexibility and interaction. The puzzle is a personal fun indulgence. While there will be clues incorporate into several cards it will be in a non invasive way. Certainly there will be no clues written onto the cards that would interfere with their primary function. The questions and the puzzle itself will be separate, not physically part of the package.
I would like to believe that who who enjoy such things will participate in the puzzle simple for the challenge, But since it will be difficult, I thought a prize would be appropriate. Nevertheless if a "gimmick" is how its coming across, then even at this early stage, I'm now having doubts.
as i said before -i like less the prize money idea and more the riddle idea-but as i also said i accept your resoning. i do know of a book called the merlyn mystery that has a riddle inside, even the drawing are somewhat similer to your tarot drawing-but that was long ago.
what i do want to ask is whther the riddle itself be at a web site before the cards with a book come out?
because if i will purches them i know that i would like that riddle to be solved before so that at the end of the book will have the solotion so that i can try and solve it at my own rate and still have the ordered answer inside the book and not long time later on a web site that i will have to print and tape to the book -do you know and understand my meening?
i hope that is taken to considration, becaus that said book about merlyn did not have the answer inside it and only long after it was published came on the web site-that book was a geemik.
i understad fuly that your cards are not but maby you overlooked that specific problem that can ocure with riddles that have prizes on them.
thanks dvorah