The Alice Tarot

Aerin

The only thing I am not keen on with kits is the whole no tuck-box thing. I like tuckboxes - was really pleased that the Silver Bohemian Gothic had one.

baba-prague

Aerin said:
The only thing I am not keen on with kits is the whole no tuck-box thing. I like tuckboxes - was really pleased that the Silver Bohemian Gothic had one.

It's a cost issue - the tuck boxes end up adding several dollars to the retail price of the kit - not because they cost that much to make (though they are more costly than you would imagine) but because retail prices are several times the production cost because of distributors, wholesalers etc. I did explain this on a thread ages ago but it's probably not easy to find it. The reason we can add boxes to the limited editions is that we are selling those direct so effectively we are only charging the production cost of the box, not the production cost times 6 or 8. Most people just don't want to pay $3, $4 or $5 extra to get a tuck box, which is what it would end up costing them at retail price (I haven't worked it out exactly, but it was in that region when we last looked at this issue).

I am not complaining about distributors, wholesalers and retailers all taking their cut - they have to make a profit. But it's just that it means that producers - i.e. us - have to think very carefully about adding any costs to a product unless it really adds the appropriate value by the time it's retailed. Personally I think many people would rather not spend much to get a tuck box - it's a nice to have rather than a must have.

By the way, in theory we could optionally add a tuck box if people buy the kit direct from us (in the past we've sometimes done that which means we can just charge the actual cost price for the box) but the postage prices for kits tends to mean that that isn't all that cost effective for buyers.

Golden Moon

baba-prague said:
Yes there will be two formats - a deck with a booklet and a kit which includes deck and companion book.

We normally run a few extra books but these will not be sold through shops etc as they tend to like to have books packaged in a kit. When you think about it, it's pretty logical as physical shops find it hard to know how to display separate companion books - we've been told that the books are the wrong size to display next to decks and if they are put on shelves elsewhere people don't find them or associate them with the decks. Because of this book shops are not keen on separate companion books, so we don't distribute them.

We will have some companion books available direct from us only. However, often it works out cheaper to buy the kit.

I'm very pleased with the idea Baba. I'll be looking forward to it :).

Enchanted Luna

I wasn't sure I was all that interested in the Alice deck at first - maybe because I was more interested in the reprint of the BG lol. But as I read this thread, started seeing the cards and hearing the details, now I'm really excited about it! As per usual, you guys are doing an amazing job! Really looking forward to actually holding the cards in my hand :)

Genna

I love everything Alice, and I have used the Wonderland a lot for readings. Your deck seems to be even more fantastic. I´m sure I will buy one special and one regular edition. I have all your decks and love them, but I wonder if Alice isn´t to become my favourite of ALL my decks, even yours, that are my absolute top decks..

Aerin

baba-prague said:
By the way, in theory we could optionally add a tuck box if people buy the kit direct from us (in the past we've sometimes done that which means we can just charge the actual cost price for the box) but the postage prices for kits tends to mean that that isn't all that cost effective for buyers.

Hmmmm. Depending on cost I might well want that; I do so hate having loose cards. Presumably any special edition (hint :D) would have a tuck box? And possibly a looking glass.

baba-prague

Aerin said:
Hmmmm. Depending on cost I might well want that; I do so hate having loose cards. Presumably any special edition (hint :D) would have a tuck box? And possibly a looking glass.

The Limited Edition will certainly come with a box - in fact it will be more sturdy than a tuck box, we've already planned it in outline (though not yet in detail).

A looking glass would be wonderful but SO expensive to post. We are, however, hoping to have all sorts of other Alice things, including jewellery - all being well - though I'm not yet sure if any of them would come with the deck, they may well be optional extras.*

We do plan to have some printed bags of course, and we hope to have a very special one that will be included with the Limited Edition.

* Those of you who follow all the studio ins and outs over on Facebook will know that it takes us months if not years to bring in new products because we test them and end up endlessly dropping suppliers who don't do things to a good enough quality (sadly very common right now). So - I just hope most of the plans for Alice designs work out.

MoonGypsy

baba-prague said:
A looking glass would be wonderful but SO expensive to post.

Hi Karen! :* What about a *Miniature* looking glass charm attached to the limited edition bag? :D

Hugs,
MoonGypsyxxx

kwesifriends

This is Yummy Alice, watching this thread.

baba-prague

MoonGypsy said:
Hi Karen! :* What about a *Miniature* looking glass charm attached to the limited edition bag? :D

Hugs,
MoonGypsyxxx

Oh yes, something like that might be lovely. :)