The Alice Tarot

Chronata

Ok, I have to say, at first I was a little wary of this project.

I admit I am a bit of an Alice purist (a Wonderland Snob? :D ) and my Alice collection of books and chess sets and dolls and random stuff is really one of my favorite collections.

I wasn't quite sure after the first couple of cards I saw...but I can officially say that now, I am completely in love.

It's Alice herself that has drawn me in. Your interpretation is perfect.

I think the more I see of the Tim Burton stuff (which for some reason, really turns me off ) the more I like your deck.

Essjay

baba-prague said:
She's wonderful. She is one of the main reasons I wanted to do this deck - she's just at the right age now but in a year or two she'll be a young woman and the moment would have passed. She is being quite patient about the whole thing, though we keep the photo sessions fairly short.

It's such a lovely thing to be able to look back on. Imagine being able to show these to your grandchildren and say, "That's me!"

baba-prague

Chronata said:
Ok, I have to say, at first I was a little wary of this project.

I admit I am a bit of an Alice purist (a Wonderland Snob? :D ) and my Alice collection of books and chess sets and dolls and random stuff is really one of my favorite collections.

I wasn't quite sure after the first couple of cards I saw...but I can officially say that now, I am completely in love.

It's Alice herself that has drawn me in. Your interpretation is perfect.

I think the more I see of the Tim Burton stuff (which for some reason, really turns me off ) the more I like your deck.

Thank-you. The Walrus and the Carpenter was probably an odd place to start, but we had to begin somewhere and somehow that became one of the first two cards. As the more classic scenes are done - the ones involving Alice herself, the White Rabbit and also the Tea Party - then it'll be easier to see the way the deck will be. It's pretty classic. I have my "Annotated Alice" by my elbow and Alex has a Russian translation of it by his - and we both look up each scene as we do it. That does not mean we stick completely to what is described (for instance, our Drink Me bottle has a label on the front, not tied to the neck, because otherwise it would be impossible to see in a card) but we are following very closely.

I was very nervous about the Cheshire Cat because I've seen that character let down so many versions of Alice (I'm afraid I cannot stand the way Tim Burton has done him - shudder). So I'm glad to have him done early - he was actually the hardest card in many ways.

Chronata

Yes...that's another thing I really love...it has a classic look, but a modern "feel".

It's a beautiful blending, that really works for me.

jcwirish

Oh, I love the new cards! Alice is perfect. What a lovely little girl.

alice_addams

I cannot wait for this deck to be released! This is also the first time I've been privileged to watch the creation of a deck, so it's very exciting. So far the Cheshire Cat as the Hanged Man is my favorite! Very well done. (Also love the oysters in the Lovers.) As I'm a Wonderland geek, I can see myself buying both the limited edition version and the kit!

BTW--thanks, la-luna, for pointing out the Living Dead Dolls. I've never bought any of those, although I like them, but I just might shell out for Alice, the Hatter, and/or the White Rabbit! (Shh, I think I just heard my bank account shriek in pain...) I wonder how fast those sell, if they're still available in June I could work the birthday angle. :D

Nytebugg

I love the Ace of Cups

WingspreadPhoenix

The two new cards are amazing! :> The more cards are shown, the more I love this deck <3

tarot heart

The hanged man card - Alice Tarot

I really like the cards you have up so far, er, except for the Hanged Man. I don't think the cat looks like it's hanging. It looks more like his head is stuck in the branches of the tree. The other cards, however, look fantastic. Of course, that's just my opinion. I like the idea of it though. Maybe it's one of the cards you're still "tweaking?"

Anyway, looking forward to the rest of this deck!

tarot heart

ncefafn

I'm curious, Karen -- what is your thinking behind the use of the Cheshire Cat as the Hanged Man?