Intensive Deck Study Support Lounge - Part V

zan_chan

May I bother you, Kat? I think the time has come. I finished Wendy's exchange reading earlier today, I packed up Hermann and put him safely away on the shelf. He's right here in reach if I should need him, but I really think it's going to be fine. I'm feeling really, really good about this decision.

I spent all my free time today reading Huson, and I did my first nightly reading with a TdM. I super-duper-lucked-out and had no pips turn up in those three cards (two majors and a court) and found the ability to actually get something out of my TdM really encouraging :)

So, if you'd be so kind, please change me on the list from the Haindl to "TBD TdM"

I'm working with the Universal TdM for now, but only because its the only one that's here at the moment. Going on nothing but scans, reviews, and intuition, I seem to be leaning towards the Noblet as my actual IDS deck, but I'll decide for sure once they're all here.

You know, I am actually for-real excited about this whole thing. More than doing this just for the sake of learning, I think I could really learn to love these crazy old images.

And I think I've decided not to sit out any of the IDS exchanges. Gotta learn somehow, right? (Sorry, future partners!) Gonna build this new skill from the ground up :D

Before I put him on the shelf, I did one last reading with Hermann. I asked him, in a parting sort of way, if he had any advice as I set out on this new road. I pulled one card, The Chariot, and I knew that Hermann and I will be just fine ;)

thorhammer

Consider it done, honey.

You know the best TdM is the Payen. Nigh unattainable unless thinbuddha does another run, but . . . there you have it.

I :love: my Payen.

\m/ Kat

teomat

Hi Kat - Could you please put me back on the IDS list, this time with the Thoth?

My last IDS with the RWS kinda fizzled out for several reasons:

1) The lack of supporting material for the deck.

I know that sounds crazy - this is the RWS I'm talking about - the deck that has literally thousands of books written about it! However I quickly learnt that 99% of them weren't teaching me a thing about Waite or Smith's mindset when they created the deck.

I wanted to know the real deal. What were they trying to convey and why. What Waite/Smith intended when they put a snail on the Nine of Pentacles, NOT what some author thinks it might mean.
But instead all I was getting was the 'look at the picture and what do you feel approach' - which I'm not knocking, but wasn't very productive to someone actually trying to learn the background and system of the deck.

And Waite's mindset of course (a'la the Key to the Tarot) was so murky, rumbling and BORING I just couldn't continue with it!

2) As I would cryptically mention in my IDS daily draws, my life was (and still is) going through a major upheaval, and 'real-world' situations began to make my study very difficult.

This time however I'm in a position to spend more time on my study, and in order for me to get the most out of it, I need a deck that's got enough material for me to actually learn from. And straight from the horse's mouth too. So...it's gotta be the Thoth hasn't it? :D

Anyway, if the mods permit it, I'm going to start up a new daily draws thread and start blogging my thoughts again. I started my study on the 1st March and will continue it indefinitely. To be honest, I am struggling to read with this deck, however my primary goal is to prevent my brain turning to mush (which it has been doing for the last few months). Hopefully the Thoth has enough things for me to learn about to prevent that happening. :)

Bat Chicken

Zan - I fell in love with the quirkiness of the Noblet.... I am really looking forward to your thoughts. I'll admit I was hoping I'd have another Blake IDSer. I have been feeling rather lonely there! :)

My understanding of Numerology is very rudimentary... I think I'll look into that book you mentioned, Wendy!

yirabeth

Bat Chicken said:
I'll admit I was hoping I'd have another Blake IDSer. I have been feeling rather lonely there! :)

I have felt this at times - there's another Gilded IDS'er or two but they don't post. So I decided that we were just all *tarot* IDS'ers, and that works for me! hehe

~Yira

thorhammer

teomat said:
Hi Kat - Could you please put me back on the IDS list, this time with the Thoth?
Done deal, honey :)

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

Bat Chicken said:
Zan - I fell in love with the quirkiness of the Noblet.... I am really looking forward to your thoughts. I'll admit I was hoping I'd have another Blake IDSer. I have been feeling rather lonely there! :)

IDS is infuriating in that way! I went so far out of my way-- out of a huge respect for being around such intelligent, passionate people, and out of an honest interest, myself-- to acquire Blake, Greenwood, and, especially, Ironwing, and was so sure that one of them would be next up on the study list eventually. But nope, the cosmos (convos?) had different plans for me....

I do think that one of those three (ALL of those three someday) will be my chosen IDS deck. A lot of this TdM thing is being done out of a respect for Hermann and a desire to build myself as a reader to be able to reach a new understanding with Hermann, to get past the block I felt that we had reached. However, my first IDS deck, the Haindl (in case anyone had forgotten :laugh: ) wasn't really chosen either. IDS decks seem to have some magical ability to choose me, rather than the other way around...

I'm still waking up and am remembering a very weird dream I was having last night. I was competing in the Olympics in some kind of ski-like downhill event, that everyone seemed to know was an ancient French sport. I kid you not, being as my brain enjoys making fun of me to such great extents, the name of this unique event, that kept being broadcast over some kind of loudspeaker, was, "Vieville".

Gah!

Oh, meanwhile, welcome back Teomat. Good to see you :)

ncefafn

Please, someone, de-enable me from buying an Ironwing Tarot deck on eBay. I had a great reading from victoria.star with it, but I could never read the deck myself. I have no interest in smithing, drumming, or shaman-izing. I am completely decorative in nature, which is why I'm so suited to the Boho Gothic and Victorian Romantic.

Okay. I think I just talked myself out of it.

zan_chan

Kim I nearly fell over when I saw the price, before realizing that it's majors-only! For $55 I would buy the full deck, and I've already got one!

Don't scare my bank account like that! Haha :laugh:

But yeah, you don't need it all. What a pain that Ironwing is. If you're anything like me, you'll start having nightmares about fire deer (don't ask) and no one needs that...

thorhammer

ncefafn said:
Please, someone, de-enable me from buying an Ironwing Tarot deck on eBay. I had a great reading from victoria.star with it, but I could never read the deck myself. I have no interest in smithing, drumming, or shaman-izing. I am completely decorative in nature, which is why I'm so suited to the Boho Gothic and Victorian Romantic.

Okay. I think I just talked myself out of it.
Don't do it. It's not a deck to just have (says I :|) - it's one that should be owned by someone who loves and uses it. They're rare enough without people hoarding them as nothing more than collector's items . . . and I think Lorena would agree with that.

\m/ Kat