Running before you can crawl...

sparkles

I totally agree with you 214Red. Anytime I've done readings here i've always stated in the title that i'm a novice but i think it probably wouldn't do any harm to stress this again at the beginning of the reading done.

Amanda

AJ said:
there aren't any small topics, if it is something important enough to ask about.

Do you have a list of what you consider safe subjects?

I would assume that just about nothing is "safe" when you are charged to deal so carefully with another's emotions.

Milfoil

So how did everyone here start out? At what point did you consider yourselves ready to start reading for clients other than your family and friends?

I agree, completely new to tarot is not where a professional should be starting from but how do you prevent it? Unless you want certificates, qualifications and professional associations, then it just has to work itself out in the wash. If a reader is rubbish they won't get much repeat business.

shadowdancer

my below comment is based on what I am seeing here on the forum, not to do with outside readers etc.

I agree with the run befor you can walk issue. Learning tarot is something that takes years and most of us accept it is a life long path of learning in many ways.

Taking it slowly allows information to sink in which can be built on. I think if I compared it to building a house, if I rushed it and tried to get it done in a week, the structure is not sound and would not be something to stand me in good stead for years to come.

Take it slow and pay attention to each aspect as you do it, with time to step back, reflect etc? It will be around for a good while.

I won't comment on the type of question, but I know I didn't dive into those sorts of questions when I was learning. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing so. If you haven't got the confidence to examine those questions (yet) they shouldn't be examined yet. The fact members here are being asked by one newbie in particular "what do you think" on each and every one / issue does indicate to me they are not ready to take on board that sort of issue at this stage of their journey, and are certainly not ready to trust their own reading. I do have concerns they are out of their depth at this stage. At the same time the best way to learn is to do readings, but I am not sure they should be doing such intense readings so early on, without the confidence or knowledge of the cards to back up what they are saying.

Just my two pennyworth.

having said that, I think this is a great place to learn and I am heartened that members have helped. That is what this forum is about and why it is a great place. I have advised one member to do daily draws as a way of learning. I am always up to help and offer advise so don't want this to come across as an anti newbie rant.

Difficult one for sure

Davina

franniee

Alta said:
I would hope that the real life people for whom they read would also be aware that these are new readers and would not make life decisions based on their readings.

I've got to say I would hope that real life people would not make life decisions based on ANY readings!

Take the reading under advisement and use it to expand your knowledge of the situation and get you on better footing but don't live and die by the cards. NEVER. This is a HUGE thing for me! Of course people can do as they will but I believe they should trust their own instincts. Tarot is a tool not a prophet.

As for readings...... I am a baptism by fire gal at heart. When I begin something new I jump in whole hog! I read for people in the beginning.... I explained I was a newbie at the time and that this was for fun or whatever and we played with the cards and the readings. They told me how well or how flat I was. It was a great learning tool.

But I don't tell people what to do - I would never dream of telling a person leave your job and sail around the world. I might say something like your job isn't making you happy at the moment - this is why and suggest things to make it better or help them. Things specific to them that would help their soul but nothing emphatic. A lot of the time people don't understand what is wrong.... it is in their subconscious and they can't see it. When you tell them this is what is going on a light dawns on them and the wheels in their brain start to spin. :)

As a new reader you need to be careful of your intent and of how people are receiving your message. Some people live and die by the cards. Makes me cringe. Those are the people I cut off of readings from me.

jaj

Aren't most of us adults who can discern the weight to place on advice we receive?

If I ask a law student or a medical student for free advice, I consider the source and the lack of experience when I consider the answer.

On the other hand, if I pay an experienced and credentialed lawyer or physician, I give much more weight to what they say. However, even in such a case, they are still paid consultants whose advice I am free to ignore.

Carla

franniee said:
I've got to say I would hope that real life people would not make life decisions based on ANY readings!

Spot on, Franniee. I believe the cards are just a tool to help us look at things more deeply. You can ask the tarot anything, because you're asking yourself anything. The tarot is like life's mirror. It is neither predictive nor a counselor. Yes, I'm a newbie, but I would never make a life decision based on the cards, and I would never trust a reader who suggested that I should. I think the danger lies not in newbies doing readings, but in querents not knowing what to do with results.

gregory

But they do do that. There are many threads here where people say "I said I saw x y z and the sitter came back the next month and said they had done what I told them to and now they are bankrupt" or something - and that is quite scary. It also scares me when a sensible sitter here will say "Thanks, now you have told me what I need to do..." I don't feel like I have done that - but it gets taken that way, and....

greatdane

As a Newbie....

and I can obviously only speak for myself, but I don't even have the desire to read for anyone right now. I'm trying to get comfortable with my first deck, get some basics, and feel the connection. I wouldn't even want to practice on anyone else yet, because even if I made VERY clear I was new and didn't know the ropes yet, I think many people, whether consciously or not, would take the readings to heart and I wouldn't want that on me! But like I said, I don't even have the desire to try to read for anyone else at the moment, too much to learn and get used to myself :) I can understand if there are people around you who see you with your deck, their inclination is to ask you to read for them though, whether one does or not is obviously about their comfort level doing it, or asking the person to wait a week or so, because they don't feel they could do the reading justice yet.

Kimberlee

First of all, I agree with the premise that new readers who are still learning need to ease into reading for others. It is too easy at the beginning stages to get conflicting information from the cards, especially when you are still learning how they interact with each other and within a spread.

But a bit of devil's advocate, if you will: There are a good portion of spreads that have an "advice" position. Even if they don't, many readers give suggestions of steps to take based on the cards presented. While I don't advocate making drastic life changes based on the cards, I wonder what purpose these advice cards are meant to serve?

Just a thought. ;)

~Kimberlee