Thoth Through A Klaiedescope Lens

Rosanne

For in and out, above, about, below,
‘Tis nothing but a magic show,
Play’d in a box whose Candle is the Sun,
Round which we Phantom Figures come and go.
(Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam)

When using the Thoth for meditation and spiritual growth, I use all the tools I can, which of course includes the Book of Thoth. How I feel about the cards, is first and foremost visually. From this I go on a road trip to sense the card‘s message to me. This includes all sensations- the work itself in style, the time in when it was created, the music I hear within, the poetry it inspires along with bits and bobs that float in and out in others words and images on the same subject.
This card was not picked- It fell out the box. So the air chose it. So put on Violet 19 or your sunshine music and take a small road trip.

The Sun
This yellow gold on the card seems to throb and pulse when I look at it. It is the shape of a scarab and brings to mind the land of Egypt. The rays flow outward off the card toward me and around me. It looks like a piece of Art Deco jewelry with a naval. Why does it pulse? Astronomy tells me of the sun, it is a sphere of gas heated by a nuclear furnace where hydrogen is fused to helium; the fusion releases huge amounts of energy. It is stable because gravity balances the outward push of energy. So those forces seem to make the Sun pulse and the artist caught that action. This balance is why I am here- the Sun sustains life. So the naval effect shows I was born from this Sun. It has many names throughout the world, but it is seen as a masculine principle (except here in New Zealand for one- it is seen as Feminine- life giving). There are many Sun symbols- one which is a radiant face and that takes my thoughts to the the Hebrew word Resh which is actually a letter meaning the Head- the front of the head to be exact. If you stand back and look at the card the green hill or mound of Nun appears to be a mouth and the core of the Sun -a single eye. Out of the Mouth is dancing two young people which again show two forces- these are not in opposition like within the Sun. This again reinforces that I born out of the Sun and the Sun nurtures me. Around the Sun is the zodiac and I can see three signs clearly- Gemini/Cancer/Leo. There appears to be a central path or flow that the figures are standing on and I recall that the Sun is on path on the Tree of Life between to spheres or sepiroth called Splendour and Foundation again speaking of the connection between Life Giver the Sun and myself. In Alchemy the sun is the Intellect. In Egypt the rising Sun is called Horus and my right Eye is also the Sun. In India the Sun is the World Door where I enter to knowledge and immortality and Plato reckoned spoke of nourishment and growth. All these things seem present on the card. Sacred Geometry is also present. The simple forms of circle, a rounded triangle and the square of the design manifest creation. The time of the Artist was Art Deco which included Cubism. It is a decorative style that eclectically borrowed from many places and was considered the advance guard of streamlined modernism- because of the thrill of Air travel. Cubism is seen as looking at the subject from every possibly angle, the artist will piece together fragments from different vantage points into one painting. Both these styles seem so appropriate for modern Tarot.
So when I put all these disparate yet somehow cohesive thoughts together- what do I get?

I see where I came from- where I will go back, but I identify with here and now. I will ascend.
In the words of Shakespeare (and who can beat him)
“The Glorious Sun
Stays in his course and plays the alchemist,
Turning with Splendour of his precious eye
The meager cloddy earth to glittering gold.” (Me…A Star liberated and free…nearly self realised)

Please please free to comment on this multi- approach to the Thoth.

~Rosanne

The deck is my specifically printed deck from my own copy.

Attachments

• Thoth.jpg
    Thoth.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 190

Bernice

Love this multi-approach to The Sun. Appears to me as very much a 'solar system' card with it's geocentric view of the contellations/zodiac.

It (The Sun) has many names throughout the world, but it is seen as a masculine principle (except here in New Zealand for one- it is seen as Feminine- life giving).
Centuries ago the far North also regarded the Sun as feminine, and the Moon as maculine :)

Visually in this card......
If you stand back and look at the card, the green hill or mound of Nun appears to be a mouth and the core of the Sun -a single eye. Out of the Mouth is dancing two young people which again show two forces- these are not in opposition...
If going up the Tree, this life-giving and life-sustaining image lies on the path from Synthesised Existence (interdependant) (9) to Definative Existence (independant) (8) (Bearing in mind these are just one of the 'labels' I give to these spheres). And here are two distinctly separate figures who are rejoicing in unision.

Bee :)

Rosanne

Ah Bee it is indeed geocentric and Art Deco has that sort of Architecture. Like when a Child draws a building from their 'close to Earth' eyes.
Your comment..
If going up the Tree, this life-giving and life-sustaining image lies on the path from Synthesised Existence (interdependant) (9) to Definative Existence (independant) (8) (Bearing in mind these are just one of the 'labels' I give to these spheres). And here are two distinctly separate figures who are rejoicing in unision.
Brings to mind this freeing of the children- from dependence to independence- that is often a condition that takes years because of conditioning.
Can I ask where you take some of your Tree of Life education from?
I am glad you like this approach with the Thoth- when I got the Thoth this was my only way to approach it. I feel it is an expansive view rather than a restrictive view- you can take it visually and it should lead you to the artist meaning. Mainly because we are seeing all the Artists accumulated knowledge expressed. Rejoicing in Unison! I like it!
~Rosanne

Bernice

Hi Rosanne. I got the Thoth deck ages ago - love the images :) But I do not see the Tree & Paths as the G.D. or Crowley did, and so I've never deliberately matched these Trumps to the Paths. I usually just enjoy the looking at the images.

But this Klaiedescope approach appeals to me.
For me, this particular card, The Sun, does in fact visually bridge the two spheres 8 & 9. So I must concede that the artist has beautifully (and precisely) captured & conveyed the link.

Can I ask where you take some of your Tree of Life education from?
W.M.T. and (early) Pagan teachings, and W. Gray. (and..... a really odd little occult book - not recommended, but has teeny shards of enlightement).

The 'development' of the Tree, i.e. it's ever expanding associations, can unfortunately lock people into 'one' mind-set of how to apprehend it. So please lets continue to explore the Paths with the Thoth, and this Klaiedescope approach.

Grigori

Rosanne said:
It has many names throughout the world, but it is seen as a masculine principle (except here in New Zealand for one- it is seen as Feminine- life giving).

I often see this as a feminine Sun card, certainly in comparison to a lot of other decks. I think the placement of the projecting phallic walled (topped) hill, pointing towards the rose/sun at the centre of what is almost a vesica piscis gives an impression not dissimilar to that on the Devil card. Almost like the Earth penetrating the Sun, rather than the more common opposite.

Also of course the muted almost pastel colors, and the flowing waves of light, rather than the more common straight lines gives this card a softness that stands out as somewhat feminine.

Rosanne said:
green hill or mound of Nun

Why 'Nun' Rosanne?

Rosanne

To answer this first (Nun or Nu)
In the beginning there was only water, a chaos of churning, bubbling water, this the Egyptians called Nu or Nun. It was out of Nu that everything began. As with the Nile, each year the inundation no doubt caused chaos to all creatures living on the land, so this represents Nu. eventually the floods would recede and out of the chaos of water would emerge a hill of dry land, one at first, then more. On this first dry hilltop, on the first day came the first sunrise. So that is how the Egyptians explain the beginning of all things.So technically it would be the Mound from Nun.

I find your feelings that this card is feminine as quite enlightening. I see the style as jewel like in the Cartier style which is very crisp and elegant but quite masculine. You are right about the colors though they are very feminine.

~Rosanne

Grigori

Rosanne said:
So technically it would be the Mound from Nun.

Ah that makes more sense to me. The mound seems more like the antithesis of the chaos of Nun in the story, which aligns with this card's traditional meanings for me. With that it mind it's interesting to contrast The Sun, with The Moon which seems more Nun-like. Also the masculine aspects of the Sun card seem more natural to me, while the masculine aspects of The Moon card appear more artificial and uncomfortable.

Rosanne said:
I find your feelings that this card is feminine as quite enlightening.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the card is feminine overall, but certainly more feminine than other comparable depictions, and the sun part of the illustration itself seems a particularly feminine aspect in a way.

The other thing I'm often reminded of by this card is a story from CS Lewis's "The Magician's Nephew". There is a scene in which there is a walled garden on top of a hill. The little boy enters via a golden gate to find a magical apple that will heal his dying mother, while the witch who also seeks the magical apples climbs the wall and as a sort of curse for not entering via the gate gets her eternal life by eating the apples, but receives a life of misery. Aside from the physical similarity ofthe walled hill and the two children outside the wall, I also like to have a reminder of healing in connection with The Sun, and tangentially to Apollo as a sun god of healing. It reminds me also of The Mythic tarot and it's depiction of Apollo on this card.

I always imagine that the wall has a gate in it, with a sign saying:

CS Lewis said:
"Come in by the gold gates or not at all, Take of my fruit for others or forbear, For those who steal or those who climb my wall/ Shall find their heart's desire and find despair.

This story reminds me of the Sun as a card of honesty, and a front (of the head) approach. The opposite of The Moon and it's "back of the head" deception.

Grigori

Oh, PS. Apples belong to the rose family botanically :)

Bernice

The Sun

Something else I've noticed in this Sun image.
It perhaps looks odd that the zodiac sign Cancer (sun-strong. Summer) is at the bottom, while Capricorn (sun-weak. Winter) is at the top.

But it is clearly underlying the geocentic/subjective nature of this path (as seen by Crowley). This is the western way in which the Mundane Zodiac is drawn up astrologically. With Aries at the East (left side) the area of dawn/sunrise, the Rising sign.

Rosanne

That does look weird to me also from down- under Bee. Sun strong is not July here in New Zealand for Cancer. It is just a feel. I often draw this card when I need Sun the most. Now.

The other thing visually that has always struck me is the card looks like a bicycle helmet from above with the emblem at the front of the two figures.
The half protection of the helmet is reminiscent of Ozone layer much depleted down here. There is a gaping hole over us because of pollution from the Northern Hemisphere. So we burn. The Islands of the Nile- the dry land, the safety from annihilation was not a sure thing. Just like all the ice ages and global warming actually means cold- not hot.

Amazing artwork to make the Sun look like pleated plastic :D

~Rosanne of the Pure apple family. Better than Nuts.