The Tarot of Vampyres: The Hierophant (split from Tarot Decks)

LotusSong

Hemera said:
Okay, my next problem is the Hierophant. There is a young woman kneeling humbly in front of a male figure who has the Star of David on his chest?? Huh?? What is that all about? Women being subservient in front of patriarchal figures? :bugeyed:

From what I understand, the figure of the Hierophant isn't supposed to represent a patriarchal figure, but our Holy Guardian Angel. The Hierophant card itself is the trump of Taurus, which is ruled by Venus. The book identifies the woman as being Venus, who has bitten into the fruit of knowledge.

As for myself, I see her more as a neophyte of the ancient knowledge represented by the Hierophant.

inanna_tarot

Hemera said:
Ah, now this is beginning to make some sense. Wow you are good!
Is this in the book of did you figure this out yourself? This is getting *dangerously* interesting...[..going back to check the picture..]

Okay, my next problem is the Hierophant. There is a young woman kneeling humbly in front of a male figure who has the Star of David on his chest?? Huh?? What is that all about? Women being subservient in front of patriarchal figures? :bugeyed:

lol I dunno about good, but the image does speak to me. Perhaps because of my magical/pagan background. I can also empathise with the poor Magician - to be watched whilst doing ritual makes you look like a prat. You may feel your clever with your robes on, the intense focus of the ritual, but to an outsider you look like mad people wasting your energies on prancing around LOL.

OK.. looking at the Heirophant.. its a very Thothy heirophant, and as such I can see a lot of Crowley's thoughts and symbolism behind the card.
I dont see Venus' kneeling as submission in a humiliating way, but rather reverence. The Venus figure, the Inner Child accepts that they know very little and seek the advice, and perhaps teaching from the dark and looming (and very LARGE) Heirophant. There is the offer of teaching and wisdom, but it will not be for the faint hearted. The Pentagram has long been seen as a symbol of the 'dark forces', but in the vampric world it could reflect the need to accept the light and not just the darkness within (Spirit over the material world) . The 6 pointed star (often visualised in hermetic rituals) reflects that nothing is Above if it is not Below, can not be created Without if it is not Within.
To work with the Heirophant is never easy... and definately not for the faint hearted. Look at how long he has been sat in the chair, spiders weaving their webs over him, the grimoire still open at the page he looked at possibly years ago. The vampires fear him... as sometimes we fear the road to self-realisation and empowerment, scared of what we find out about our natures as we learn to Know Thyself. But, this brave Venus knows that this is the road she must tread and so makes her petition to him.

WolfyJames

I have a feeling of the Underwolrd with this card with the apples, Persephone and Hades who has a similar dog/wolf pet than Cerberus. Persephone has bitten the apple and now she has to spend 6 months in the Underworld. Hades is feared and misunderstood but he has much to teach, that the Underworld, the Dark, Death, Winter, is as vital and important as its opposite force Life/Light/Summer. And Persephone here has the advantages of belonging to both worlds now that she has bitten the apple.

Or maybe the story is somewhat different but similar. Maybe this vampire is as old as time. When turning into a vampire, it's somewhat similar to Persephone who after bitting the apple gave up to the realm above, to the sun, summer, light. When after being turned, it's like going to an Underworld of sort where there is no coming back, where we will never see the light of day again. And here this Hierophant teaches the new vampires what their new lives will be, the rules, the wisdom of being a vampire.

Attachments

• 05200.jpg
    05200.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 553

WolfyJames

Wrong thread.