Victoria Regina - Five of Cups

GryffinSong

A woman slumps towards three empty mason jars, flowers slipping from her hands. One can deeply feel her loss, whatever it is. She looks heartbroken and to have stopped caring about anything but her loss. Behind her are two sealed jars, but she has no sense of them at all. It's funny, but the jars remind me of the American Prohibition. A funny association for a Victorian England deck. But the empty jars make me think of moonshine, and implies that perhaps she's drowned her sorrows in alcohol. The left sleeve of her dress slips off her shoulder, reinforcing that impression. Whether drunk or merely mourning, this woman is clearly not seeing any positive options at the moment. She is sunk in misery and despair.

annik

Yeah, she seems to be depressed. She also seems to be lonely, closing relationship with others, introvert. She seems to be in a negative state, not knowing better.

GryffinSong

Further thoughts came up today while doing my daily draw for the PDR ...

Very sad. Despair. End of things. Hopelessness. The woman looks deeply sad. Perhaps drunk, but more likely simply having given up. She holds some flowers in her hands. Are they wilted? Left behind? A symbol of a lost love? Three Mason jars lay on the ground, their contents presumably spilled. Two sit next to her, lids on, presumably filled with food. Perhaps sweet berries made into jelly. Perhaps some other preserves. Preserving her memories, which feed her when she's feeling lost. But for this moment, she is looking downward towards her empty jars. She's forgetting that she has nourishment right next to her, and is focused only on her loss. She's in a natural setting, flowers and plants growing around her. As if this is natural for her. Natural to dwell on negative things. On her sadness. And yet she's beautiful. Her gown drapes softly around her body, flowers in her hair and hair flowing with freedom. It's also a part of her nature to partake of the riches in those full jars. In fact, she probably put up those preserves herself, putting them away for a rainy day. I feel as if at any moment she might remember that they're there, turn her face away from loss and towards reward and fullness. It's a mere moment's decision to face the light instead of the shadow.