The Idea Thread

Kosjitov

Er, what spam topics are we talking about?

Another thread. People were saying duplicate threads/rehashes were coming up due to the trouble with the search function. That's all :) Probably should have said "dupes" not "spam" to be clear. So sorry, poor choice of wording at the time.

gregory

When you do a search the results don't seem to be savable. I know that when people link to old search results they usually come up as errors or not found.
No - I meant that when you search, you get the stickies showing up automatically, as a kind of suggestion to check them out.

Alta

I corrected that link. The thread had been archived, and that changes the link. When it happens use the Google Seach Bar at the top of the search page. I usually type in the exact title with a + between each word.

gregory

I'm a bit confused as to what these problems that need solving actually are.

This came from one of those what has happened to AT threads - where the issue of new people posting the same things over and over was perceived as part of a problem that was stifling discussion because people would see a "same old" thread and not join in, and - well, you get the idea ? Kosjitov thought to start this thread with ideas to get some things moving faster, like.

Alta

I want to make a comment on mentors. Now, this is just my personal opinion.

Mentoring takes a lot of time and effort. When I worked, I both formally (using the company program, which I helped set up) and informally mentored younger staff. Here I generally train new mods which is a form of mentoring. I am not complaining but being a mentor is a serious commitment of time and energy. If you take this on you have to be prepared to not only answer questions but be pro-active and the person being mentored has to be active in their own learning as well. No sitting back and expecting the mentor to do all of the work.

It is fine to suggest this, but both the mentor and the person hoping for mentoring have to make a serious commitment or frankly it won't work and both parties will wind up disgruntled.

If people want this work, they need to make the commitment to plan out exactly how it should work and submit the idea to Solandia. Seriously.

Same with FAQ's. Who is going to do this? Not me, I already spend too many hours on ATF business. But if you really want it, then do it for goodness sake. If you take the effort, I promise to make it a Sticky.

Kosjitov

I hope you don't feel as if I'm stepping on toes. I certainly don't mean to. :(

I want to make a comment on mentors. Now, this is just my personal opinion.

It is fine to suggest this, but both the mentor and the person hoping for mentoring have to make a serious commitment or frankly it won't work and both parties will wind up disgruntled.

Yes, absolutely! I understand the commitment required and that it has drawbacks. But there are some people who could/would benefit from a mentor-type project. You get out what you put in, or so they say. No one wants to have their time wasted on either end. It's difficult.

If people want this work, they need to make the commitment to plan out exactly how it should work and submit the idea to Solandia. Seriously.

Still brainstorming.

Same with FAQ's. Who is going to do this? Not me, I already spend too many hours on ATF business. But if you really want it, then do it for goodness sake. If you take the effort, I promise to make it a Sticky.

I was not expecting you to, and if it sounded that way, believe me I did not mean it to. :) I'm looking into options. Granted, not all of the ideas are perfect or even usable, but I'd rather start with a list and weed out what wouldn't work.

Alta

Not stepping on toes. I would very pleased to see these initiatives. Glad to see the support. But just trying to point out that if they are to happen then someone has to 'take point' and make them happen.

gregory

Not to step on anyone - BUT - I have a problem with mentoring. Who decides who is OK to BE a mentor ? If I were to mentor anyone tarotically, it would be a very bad idea from their point of view, so if I set myself up, AT would be the poorer... And some innocent person would be led horribly astray.

Now if we are talking about mentors just to help navigate this place - that is something else again. I can find my way around just fine, and would help - but travel too much to be a regular mentor....

SO - what about simply having a thread with people who are willing to answer questions from new members ? With a list of what they will answer questions about ? When I'm around - I do answer questions that are PMd to me, when I know the answer - and I'm happy to do that.

As for FAQs - I will work on that - but not alone, as we all see different ones, depending where we go.

Kosjitov

SO - what about simply having a thread with people who are willing to answer questions from new members ? With a list of what they will answer questions about ? When I'm around - I do answer questions that are PMd to me, when I know the answer - and I'm happy to do that.

Seems like a better middle road, purely because of time/dedication constraints.

As for FAQs - I will work on that - but not alone, as we all see different ones, depending where we go.

*smirk* Check your PM's

MareSaturni

I take it you were never assigned an upperclassmen who had volunteered to help you around the school for a week. Like I said. I'm interested in solutions rather than just listing the problems. There's another thread that's currently working on that.

I think that acknowledging the very common phenomena of "newbie disorientedness" and keeping it in mind when confronted with the same question many times is a solution, specially for long-timers who forget that beginners are... beginners. :)

I read "sticking around" as a solution.

I agree with that. As daunting as AT may appear at first with all its members and topics going on, if you stick around soon you become integrated and get to know the people.

These are small solutions people can work on individually and that do not require a major commitment or forum transformations. I have to take a deep breath and remember that the person is newcomer and help them, not scare them. Many times I have communicated to newbies through PM explaining how to start in the forum, how to choose an avatar, how to post etc.

And the newbies have to remember that it does take a while to adapt to new places, but it's worth it.

Personally I don't think I would have the time to be a mentor, for example. Besides, nobody would want me as a mentor, for two reasons: 1) I'm 23 years old, and inspire no respect whatsoever (lol!) and 2) I am known for my occasionally passionate-rude answers in threads, which is something I'm learning to control. :p I'd be a bad influence.