The Book of The Law Study Group 3.41

Aeon418

The original manuscript actually says "clerkship", but the last four letters have been crossed out. Above the crossed out section is "-house".

Grigori

Thelemic Kaaba would be Boleskine. I wonder if Crowley did establish any kind of clerk-house/ship while there? He purchased Boleskine in 1899 while the GD were still together, intending to complete the Abramelin ritual there. He left the ritual uncomplete and entered the fracas at the ending of the GD. He recieved the BoL after this in 1904, ignored it for some years, and then left Boleskine in 1913. All the examples of clerks I can think of came in later years, after Boleskine had been sold rather than before.

The difference between clerkship and clerk-house is maybe not a big one. To me though a clerkship would indicate a practical sort of apprenticeship and would be about Crowley teaching. That would seem to fit well with the following lines. A clerk-house seems a more administrative endeavour.

Aeon418

Thelemic Kaaba would be Boleskine. I wonder if Crowley did establish any kind of clerk-house/ship while there?
Yes, he set up his own publishing house during the Boleskine years. SPRT - Society for the Propagation of Religious Truth. Under the SPRT imprint Crowley issued several volumes of poetry, the Collected Works (3 vols), and the first two parts of the Confessions. Ultimately SPRT went under after only a few years. Part of it was due to the reading public's indifference towards Crowley's work. His poetry can be quite obscure, being loaded with religious and mythological references. Also book sellers were reluctant to stock Crowley.
The difference between clerkship and clerk-house is maybe not a big one. To me though a clerkship would indicate a practical sort of apprenticeship and would be about Crowley teaching. That would seem to fit well with the following lines. A clerk-house seems a more administrative endeavour.
It's interesting to note that the word, Clerk, comes from the Latin, Clericus - Cleric.

A direct English to Hebrew letter substitution of " a clerkship".

A KLHRKShIP = 666

Also if you simply spell "clerkship" in Hebrew based on the sound of the word -

KLVRKShIP = 666

Does this mean anything? I'm not sure. But it's odd that Kaaba in Hebrew is 25. That's the value of the word ChIVA, Beast. The word Kaaba itself simply means, cube. That makes me think of this well known Thoth related quote.
Worship the name, Beast 666, foursquare, mystic, wonderful, and the name of His House 418.

Aeon418

It's possible that the reference to the Kaaba is a euphemism for the intersection of the paths of Samekh and Peh.

Using Hebrew, KAABA = 25, which is the Path of Samekh.

According to Islamic tradition the Kaaba is known as the House of Allah. This gives us the link to the Path of Peh through Atu XVI The Tower - The House of God.

The intersection of these two paths is where the magician is supposed to be standing during the performance of rites, such as the LBRP. While standing at that symbolic intersection the magician turns around full circle, facing each of the surrounding Sephiroth in turn. This circular motion around a central point brings to my mind the image of Muslim pilgrims on the Hajj performing Tawaff around the Kaaba.

Here's a piccy. :)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Tavaf.jpg

In this context the establishment of the "clerk-house" may mean the four quarters of the circle. Each quarter is like an office. It has a very definite plan and structure - done well and with business way.

Aeon418

I just noticed that 25 + XVI = 41. The same number as this verse.
What a coincidence. :laugh:

Looking up the number in Sepher Sephiroth I see a few entries that are somewhat suggestive. But my eye fell upon, ChGL. Crowley says this means, "To go round in a circle."

Aeon418

In this context the establishment of the "clerk-house" may mean the four quarters of the circle. Each quarter is like an office. It has a very definite plan and structure - done well and with business way.
Addendum...

On another level the symbolism of the quarters of the circle can also represent grades in an order or teaching structure. This dovetails nicely with the next verse.

Aeon418

I'm wondering if the different letter totals point to something.

With clerk-house included there are 65 letters in this verse.

If we substitute clerkship then there are only 64 letters.

The word clerk-house might mean the body of Crowley's teaching up to
5°=6□. In this sense the house might be the whole system for attaining to 65 - LVX, ADNI, K&C, etc. But the actual process, the clerkship, is one of re-Adjustment and re-balance. Oddly enough 64 is DIN, Justice.

The aspirant to any grade is trying to "sqaure the circle" indicated by the numbers of his/her grade. For example the Neophyte 1°=10□ is trying to find the Kether in Malkuth by putting their Malkuth in order (square). The natural consequence of this re-ordering and re-balancing is Ordeals. Putting one's ill-ordered house back in shape is sometimes a messy business. It's a bit like spring cleaning. Sometimes you just have to make even more mess before you can start putting everything back together again.

Thou shalt have danger & trouble. Ra-Hoor-Khu is with thee. :)

Aeon418

Feng Shui

Spring cleaning has just reminded me of something about the Muslim Kaaba. Originally it was chock full of idols dedicated to a whole host of different tribal gods. But Muhammed went in and threw them all out. After that he re-dedicated the structure to the One God.

Also the Kaaba is meant to have been rebuilt around 600AD. Supposedly it was Muhammed himself who completed the structure by setting the corner stone. This corner stone is the fabled "Black Stone" that is, according to legend, supposed to have fallen to earth from heaven. (For this reason some speculate that the stone is a meteorite.)

I think the symbolism of all this is highly suggestive. It brings to mind two verses from Liber LXV. Chapter V, verses 5 and 6. The first line suggests the squaring of the circle.
5. Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.
6. Through the midnight thou art dropt, O my child, my conqueror, my sword-girt captain, O Hoor! and they shall find thee as a black gnarl'd glittering stone, and they shall worship thee.