Ace of Cups as a negative card

danieljuk

I pull a card a day for a daily reading. About a month or two ago I pulled the Ace of Cups in the morning and thought this was gonna be a good day. Nice things were going to happen, love, and good things. It was a really horrible day! The daily card normally reflects at least something that happens during the day for me.

This surprised me and maybe an important lesson for myself. Just one of those days when everything went wrong. By the end of the day I found out that someone I knew online had died of their illness in the past week. They were given a diagnosis of cancer and very advanced. But many negative things all happened on that day and I really felt emotionally very sad.

I know one of the meanings of the Ace of Cups is an outpouring of emotions. I wondered if this could be positive and negative too? Can it show grief / sadness? I never thought of it in this context before but it did seem to reflect what had happened. Feel happier after that day now but it was a day of shock and sadness I guess and intrigued about it meaning like this.

rwcarter

I know one of the meanings of the Ace of Cups is an outpouring of emotions. I wondered if this could be positive and negative too? Can it show grief / sadness? I never thought of it in this context before but it did seem to reflect what had happened. Feel happier after that day now but it was a day of shock and sadness I guess and intrigued about it meaning like this.
Most of the depictions of that card show water flowing over the edge of the cup. There are both positive and negative emotions, so either could be overflowing.

What you don't mention is whether you only use upright cards or if you also use reversals. If you do use reversals, the upright Ace could indicate overflowing of "negative" emotions as catharsis, which is usually a good thing.

Rodney

starrystarrynight

Also, the Ace of any suit can embody or encompass the whole gamut of its suit's energy...so the Ace of Cups may have been suggesting that you were going to feel a very wide scope of emotions that day--which turned out to be true.

xhollysue

I'm a believer that sometimes the cards send us encouragement, instead of advance notice. What better way then the Ace of Cups to remind you, throughout the day, that you are loved? If the Ace of Cups reminds you of a particular person or time in your life, maybe it was a reminder of the peacefulness you feel around that person or the support you felt during that time in your life to help get you through the rough day.

Glad your days have gotten happier...

wulzcat

I'm a believer that sometimes the cards send us encouragement, instead of advance notice. What better way then the Ace of Cups to remind you, throughout the day, that you are loved? If the Ace of Cups reminds you of a particular person or time in your life, maybe it was a reminder of the peacefulness you feel around that person or the support you felt during that time in your life to help get you through the rough day.

Glad your days have gotten happier...

I agree with this... I think the cards can show us what qualities we need to embody or take sustenance from, rather than just what will happen. Maybe in that time of sadness you were asked to give out love to others, to support them in their sadness too. To offer your cup. I would personally *never* see the Ace of Cups as a negative card in itself...

PAMUYA

Aces are like a seed, it will grow into what ever you make of it. Negative things may happen, it is how you react to them that can turn things to a more positive light. Something new will happen, it is up to you what direction it will take.

danieljuk

thanks so much for all your replies, really interesting for me

Most of the depictions of that card show water flowing over the edge of the cup. There are both positive and negative emotions, so either could be overflowing.

What you don't mention is whether you only use upright cards or if you also use reversals. If you do use reversals, the upright Ace could indicate overflowing of "negative" emotions as catharsis, which is usually a good thing.

Rodney

I do read reversals and it was upright! Thinking about that day and all your replies I think it was showing an outpouring of emotions but as catharsis!

It was not the most pleasant day and very emotional, however after that day things were better fast. Whilst I'm still sad the person died, I processed that grief very fast and was feeling less emotional. I have grieved for a much longer time over other people / pets I know dying. I dealt with it well

It might have seemed like a bad day but I think its true the Ace of Cups upright is not a negative card. I got it out and moved on to the next part of my life. It was all a good message looking back at it now. I could have had the Tower or could have been consumed with grief on that day, but actually it was probably one of the best outcomes of it. thanks for your suggestions