ARLO deck from etsy

tarot heart

Hi all,

My friend recently purchased the ARLO Lenormand deck off etsy. He said the deck arrived reeking of cigarette smoke. He tried to contact the deck creator, but he just said there is no way the deck smells of smoke and refused to replace the deck. Has anyone else had this experience and if so what did you do about it? My friend is really upset about this and I can't blame him. I must admit the deck reeks of it.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Astraea

I had exactly the same issue with this deck. The minute I opened the mailing envelope, the smell of cigarette smoke was overpowering. The creator did respond to my initial e-mail, saying that no one in the home smoked and that the smell must have come from the second-hand shelves on which the deck was stored after printing. I ended up airing out the cards by turning a dish-drying rack over and inserting a card in each of its divisions. It took a couple weeks, but the smell eventually cleared completely. The box should be aired out in this way, as well.

gregory

Complain to etsy, and also start up a dispute with paypal - goods not satisfactory. (The latter MUST be done within 45 days of the order).

Might also be wise to post feedback saying this, so others are warned...

tarot heart

Thanks for the suggestion, Astraea! I'll let him know your method. I just can't believe this creator is being such a liar about the whole thing! I think my friend is going to report the incident to etsy, as he should.

Thanks! I'll let him know he wasn't the only one to have the problem.

th

tarot heart

Complain to etsy, and also start up a dispute with paypal - goods not satisfactory. (The latter MUST be done within 45 days of the order).

Might also be wise to post feedback saying this, so others are warned...

Yes gregory, I will mention for him to do this as well. It's such a shame though, I wanted to buy these cards myself but I don't want to go thru the trouble of airing them out ...:(

Astraea

I don't think that all of the decks are affected to the same degree. A friend of mine purchased the deck at the same time I did, and he said there was no cigarette smell to his copy. So if you buy one, you might or might not run into this issue.

tarot heart

I don't think that all of the decks are affected to the same degree. A friend of mine purchased the deck at the same time I did, and he said there was no cigarette smell to his copy. So if you buy one, you might or might not run into this issue.

Well, since this seller is printing his own decks, it may be the difference between a deck that was just printed and a deck that sits around awhile. Also, a person who smokes would never notice the smell, I don't know if your friend smokes or not, but that's also a possiblity. Either way he is going to complain to etsy. There's no mistaking this smell as cigarette smoke. Thanks!

Astraea

Well, since this seller is printing his own decks, it may be the difference between a deck that was just printed and a deck that sits around awhile. Also, a person who smokes would never notice the smell, I don't know if your friend smokes or not, but that's also a possiblity. Either way he is going to complain to etsy. There's no mistaking this smell as cigarette smoke. Thanks!
My friend says that he is sensitive to cigarette smoke and would have noticed if his deck smelled...so (as you surmise) I think that the discrepancy must have had something to do with when our decks were printed, and whether or not they were stored for awhile afterward.

You are so right, tarot heart, there's no mistaking the smell of cigarette smoke, and my deck just reeked - a huge cloud of it came out when I opened the envelope, and the box and cards were saturated. I'm glad that your friend plans to report this to etsy - I didn't know enough to do so when I purchased the deck on its initial offering.

tarot heart

My friend has nicely reported the item to etsy and left nice/honest feedback.

:)

My friend said to tell gregory "thank you for the advice."

gregory

Well, as Astraea said, the smell did go away with a thorough airing and not all decks smelled anyway. It looks like a pretty deck but not my cup of tea :D One must stop somewhere.