a short reading featuring eight of swords

Molly

Actual readings are still fuzzy for me... Also, I rarely ask for advice and if I do, the answer I normally get is supremely obvious, surface... nothing deep to explore... I have long felt that I need to unfold my way into this I think, so to speak, and the cards will know when I am ready to go deeper.

So, I drew three cards.

What is known - King of Cups
What is hidden - Ace of Swords
What to do/Action to take - Eight of Swords

I don't think Eight of swords has been covered yet. I enjoyed the thread on the Ace of Swords. I study the eight of swords and wonder what he is trying to tell me. And I think he is telling me that, right now, no action is the best action. He is interestingly enough, because of the way I laid out the cards, actually looking up at the Ace of swords card. He is telling me that clarity will come. I think the King is there to remind me that if I were to act too soon, without better intellectual clarity, it may just end up being a rash decision from heart, and maybe not a wise one. There seems to be a pink castle visible through one of the puzzle pieces. My question/concern currently involves my home... Very interesting indeed. My pink dreamhouse is almost visible?

I just noticed that he is sticking his hand through a hole... is he trying to feel his way clear? He is not completely void of action, he is just cautiously testing the waters right now. What is with the turkey baster he is holding? Is it a walking stick? The tool of the magician? I just found the magician and it is not the same item. Also, interestingly enough, the fool is the only other card with the starry sky backdrop... The death card has a starry sky in the background, but the death skeleton is on the ground. The fool seems to be walking down from being in outer space, and the eight of swords is literally floating in outer space. Maybe the only way to stop being the eight of swords is to be the fool.

The cone on the top of the Fool looks an awful lot like the Ace of Swords, just not curved.

I think the cards have taken me deeper. ;-)

Melvis

Hi, Molly!

I think you did pretty well with this reading! You covered a lot of good ground -- I hadn't noticed the Fool connection with the 8 of Swords before...interesting!

I noticed a few similar items between the cards you chose: Each one has pink in it; the checkerboard behind Fabian the King and the checkerboard below the Ace of Swords; The wall behind the Sword look similar to the shape of the pink wall you can see through the puzzle piece in the 8 of Swords. If he keeps trying different holes eventually he'll be successful and find the pink tower, and maybe find the Sword. So, I guess if you keep trying you will eventually find "that which is hidden" from you.

And I just noticed that Fabian is making an upside-down heart-shape with his hands! Not really relevant, but I thought I'd point it out. ;)

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

galadrial

Molly said:
I just noticed that he is sticking his hand through a hole... is he trying to feel his way clear? He is not completely void of action, he is just cautiously testing the waters right now. What is with the turkey baster he is holding? Is it a walking stick?

Hi Molly,

nice thread! I just got to it because I've had the flu.
I think you are right on target, and that "feeling your way" and going one step at a time will lead to that hidden mental clarity. One thing that strikes me about King Fabian is that his hair and mustache look like emotional feelers sticking out. His hands are in a meditative pose over his heart. As a King, I don't think he will act rashly, but will meditate on the information his feelers bring in before commiting his heart.
In the Eight of Swords, I do think that is a walking stick, and that he is patiently going one step at a time and exploring with his hands; feeling his way rather that mapping out a route with his eyes in advance.
Here's an interesting bit on Eight's from "Tarot as a Way of Life", by Karen Hamaker-Zondag, "As 2x4, eight also displays a twofold patterning which creates a stress-field that can lead to movement..." "(re: the Eight of Swords) We have lost sight of our own situation, but our legs are still free, so we can get away and seek help. This is where the little bit of movement in the eight comes in."
I'm afraid I don't see him as being very like the Fool. The Fool has no theories, no discernment, and no sense that one destination may be more desireable than another. This fellow looks as though he is lost in space and would like to be on terra firma, but has some definate preferances as to where he would like to land. I think he would just as soon not move as to end up in a swamp or on top of a volcano. He is looking for somewhere that feels "right", and is not judging this from superficial appearences (covered eyes), but is moving his hand out to test the lay of the land (the little bit of movement from being an eight card). I think that, eventually, he is going to put his hand in that "castle" hole and it is going to feel like home. Then he will be sure of his destination and will be ready to move decisively; with the mental clarity of the Ace.
Just a few ideas:)

Molly

<<< This fellow looks as though he is lost in space and would like to be on terra firma, but has some definate preferances as to where he would like to land.... I think that, eventually, he is going to put his hand in that "castle" hole and it is going to feel like home. Then he will be sure of his destination and will be ready to move decisively; with the mental clarity of the Ace. >>>>

Wow. That was awesome. I LOVE the eight of Swords now! lol
No matter which deck I draw it from, I am always going to think of this guy now.

galadrial

20/01 Eight of Swords

Bump!

I drew this card today and realized that my interpretation of it hasn't changed much since writing about it in this thread, so I think this should become the "official" 8 of Swords thread:) Today it means discernment without being distracted by the visual; in other words, I'm trying to feel my way right now as to what I want to commit my time/money/energy resources to and I don't want to be attracted to something too quickly because it has a superficial "interesting" look to it. I want to take my time and feel about spiritually. I want what I choose to feel like coming home, not just the next cool thing. I really feel as though I'm wearing that question mark blindfold and am tapping slowly along through the cosmos putting my hand out and examining various potential exits/entrances, but not yet choosing. I'll know it when I touch that pink castle:) Interestingly, Molly drew the Ace of Swords with this card and I drew the Ace of Pentacles. I think once I find my ideal exit/entrance that then will be the time for a fresh commiting of my resources.

Graham's description is so different from how this card fits my situation, that I think of it as the negative/reverse description.

Graham's booklet says: "We see a figure lost in space, detached from the Labyrinth, trapped because he cannot find a solution. This is so frustrating; he does not know what the problem is, or even where it is coming from. The answer is close, but he cannot see it.
Divinitory Meaning: The Eight of Swords encourages us to be patient; hard work overcomes limitations. We must not give up.
Reverse Meaning: Impatience, stress, struggle."