Reworking a Tarot Deck

adanawtn

The more I think about it, the more that I want to rework my tarot deck. I just published it, and it's getting some exposure here and there. And I'm super proud of myself for finally completing it and getting it printed. But I feel like it could be so much better.

I want to change the artwork for most of it, just to give the deck a more cohesive feel. I also want to change the name. I'm just wondering, should I package it as the new edition of the first deck, or as a completely different one? Has anything like that ever been done before?

I love some of the artwork, and a lot of it I just want to tweak. I also want to change the borders and labels, and add color to the cards. And the back. I definitely want to change the back of the card.

So would it be okay to use some of the artwork from my first deck in my second one? I'll be adding more details and color, so technically it wouldn't be the exact same cards. And with everything else that I want to change, I think that it will end up being an entirely new deck. I just wanted to see what others thought of the idea.

Chronata

I think any changes qualify it as a new edition. Especially since you want to rework most of the images.
I think a few of the same would be OK, especially if you are making all the images more cohesive.

And congratulations on publishing! That is cause to celebrate!

adanawtn

I think any changes qualify it as a new edition. Especially since you want to rework most of the images.
I think a few of the same would be OK, especially if you are making all the images more cohesive.

And congratulations on publishing! That is cause to celebrate!

Thank you. I am exceptionally proud to have published my own tarot deck. It's a dream come true. However, I feel like it could be better.

I also want to change the name of the tarot deck. It just doesn't fit the Kundalini theme. I want to create a theme for the deck, and make the artwork cohesive and meaningful.

adanawtn

I'm still puzzled as to whether what I'm doing with my tarot deck would be classified as a new edition. I've started creating new artwork for it, based on the current artwork. Only, I've decided to change the image assignments.

For example, what was the Queen of Swords in my first deck is now The Moon. The Sun has become The Star, and the Three of Wands has become The Sun. And of course, I've added to each image so that it looks drastically different.

However, I've kept the images for the Aces the same, and just added more design work to them.

Anyone have any advice?

Debra

Hi Adana. Congratulations on your deck!

Personally, I dislike when decks are revised (excepting correction of a real error, for example a mispelled title ).

Reworking and revising something that's already been published and distributed puzzles me. It gives me a bad feeling. I'm sorry that it's become so common.

I believe that almost always, when the artist says, "I'm done with this deck!" they believe they've done their best work, made the best design decisions, found the best printing they can afford, and so forth.

When later they produce a "new edition" with just enough changes to be "really better!" I wonder why it wasn't made to be really better the first time around.

Of course there's always room for changes but I personally perceive the practice of redoing decks as questionable.

I feel that sometimes the artist is aiming to sell more decks and knows people will buy the "better" one even if they already have the first version--which is now by definition to be considered inferior.

And other times, I feel, the artist is not staying open to new creative possibilities--easier to rework what one's already done than to start fresh with a new idea.

So that's my two cents.

You have a sure hand, great sense of composition, perspective, and graceful lines--both your talent and your hard work are on display :heart:

adanawtn

I can understand why that would be distasteful to some. And the idea of not being open to the creative process is definitely something to consider. I just feel like could be better. Honestly, I'm not really thinking of sales. I just want to have the best possible deck that I can make.

BrightEye

I just feel like could be better. Honestly, I'm not really thinking of sales. I just want to have the best possible deck that I can make.
You will always feel that way though sooner or later because your skill and your vision develops over time. I have a deck that I feel could be better in places because I now see the flaws in the drawings that I couldn't see before. But I don't want to 'improve' them because it would destroy the original vision/energy of the deck.

adanawtn

Yeah, I think you're right. I think I've come to the conclusion to just create a new deck.

Thanks for the insights!

Debra

attagirl ;)
It'd be great if you keep us posted here on your progress.