Going Pro

suncard19

If someone is a professional tarot reader, does that mean they are a full time reader? Can I be a part time, professional reader?

Toxicmage

I am part-time and I like to think I am professional.

happyfish

Professional is subjective term :)

Some people would only call themselves a professional if they make a full-time living as a reader. For others, professional just means you're doing some paid readings. For others, it might not even involve money - just a professional demeanor.

suncard19

Professional is subjective term :)

Some people would only call themselves a professional if they make a full-time living as a reader. For others, professional just means you're doing some paid readings. For others, it might not even involve money - just a professional demeanor.

the subjective end is very true, I want to be a professional, but I'm not sold on reading exclusively

Toxicmage

May I ask how you market your business?

The local flea market. And I do talks to local civic clubs about synchronicity & intuition in which the cards are used.

Chimera Dust

I'm not a professional myself but I'd consider a professional to be anyone who reads at a professional level, it doesn't have to be full-time. Sometimes that's just not possible because you love your day job and don't want to quit it, or because you have to make ends meet.

I hope it's ok to hijack this thread to ask a question I've had on my mind lately, when did people here become professionals? How many years did it take you, after you'd started reading, to go the professional route?

I know the answer will vary from person to person but I'm very curious.

gregory

I would still consider myself a professional music teacher and I have not taught for 30 years. When I did so, it was part time, come to think of it.

A professional is a professional. You have your skills, your knowledge, in this case your training, your ethics; you do it to the best of your ability, and on the whole you are paid for what you do.

suncard19

I'm not a professional myself but I'd consider a professional to be anyone who reads at a professional level, it doesn't have to be full-time. Sometimes that's just not possible because you love your day job and don't want to quit it, or because you have to make ends meet.

I hope it's ok to hijack this thread to ask a question I've had on my mind lately, when did people here become professionals? How many years did it take you, after you'd started reading, to go the professional route?

I know the answer will vary from person to person but I'm very curious.

I started reading in July and I started reading professionally in Dec.

canid

If someone is a professional tarot reader, does that mean they are a full time reader? Can I be a part time, professional reader?

Well, like Gregory said. 'Professional' is pretty self-explanatory. It doesn't necessarily equate to full-time. It means you know what you're doing, backwards, forwards & inside out. Like, if you spliced & taped a wire to fix a lamp, would you call yourself a professional electrician? Even though I'm retired, I'm still a professional graphic designer. I paid my dues; it didn't take 8 months or a year, or even 2 years, to learn the ropes. In fact, it's ongoing. Maybe you were referring to a full-time tarot reader? Cause it takes a looong time to call yourself a professional tarot reader; I've been reading since the '70's & I certainly don't consider myself a professional. There are a few I could put into that category, however.