Using Oracle Cards at the End of a Tarot Reading

Glass Owl

After laying out a typical Tarot spread you can place one (or more) Oracle card on the bottom or along the side of it if you wish. The Oracle card(s) can be used to for additional card positions like:

- advice (such as how to proceed or not proceed)
- an affirmation
- additional information
- an energy to focus on
- spiritual guidance
- summary

Here are a few other suggestions for combining oracle cards and tarot cards from Barbara Moore via this Llewellyn Journal article:

Lay out your spread as normal using a Tarot deck and then place an Oracle card on either side of the spread:
The Left Oracle Card: Represent the energy leaving the situation in question
The Right Oracle Card: Represents the energy entering the situation in question

Lay out your spread as normal using a Tarot deck and then place one Oracle card on top and one on the bottom of the spread:
The Top Oracle Card: Represents what energy is being used to good effect
The bottom Oracle Card: Represents what energy is being neglected or not being used to good effect

And lastly, here is a mixed technique you can try if you are interested:

Select a Tarot deck and an Oracle deck. First, pull Tarot cards for certain positions in a spread and then use the Oracle deck to pull cards for the remaining positions. Don't be afraid to experiment with existing spreads, tweaking the positions and changing up what positions you assign to which type of deck. See what works for you.

This seems to work well with three card spreads (pulling a Tarot for two of the positions and an Oracle for the third position). Oracle cards often work well in the positions related to advice, spiritual guidance, and additional information.

Emberlyn

Okay, wow... Those are sine really great suggestions! Thank you!

LadyCeleste

I received a Tarot reading from an Etsy seller and at the end of my Tarot reading, she pulled four Oracle cards. I really liked that. I was wondering if you guys know how to do that? Are they used as clarifying cards or should they have their own questions?

I heard about some readers doing that and I decided to try it too. In my readings, I pull a single oracle card from the oracle deck as a sort of second opinion, added insight, that sort of thing for my reading. Originally I figured that it would be something of an extra little perk but I've come to see it as helpful, in that it tends to add to the reading. Sometimes the oracle card says the same thing as my tarot deck, every now and again it says something different. When it says something different, I usually take that to mean that the outcome of the tarot reading is short-term, with the oracle card being a more long-term outcome, or vice-versa.

One time I added a rune to both the oracle and Tarot reading. All three tools were spot on about my day that day!