First Post! Q: Adding NEW cards to your personally designed deck?

anju

The colors chosen for the original Rider-Waite have a great deal of meaning, as do the flowers and symbols on the clothing. It is a life-time study, you are well on your way.

I didn't let my creative impulses direct me much, and any differences (accentuating crown of Isis/golden locks of hair) were based in my own personal studies. It's important to me to keep the feeling of ancient esotericism. The symbolism is endless, and in every aspect of each card, positioning of elements, colors, and symbols themselves, and then there is the Alchemical 'elephant in the room', which I know I'll have to engage in if I want to understand the cards further.

I'm moved by the idea of meditation cards. Somehow I've never thought of this idea, but I'm leaning towards creating a personal deck just for me, but inspired by the RW deck.

MandMaud

Welcome!
Your art is very beautiful - and better than that, I want to just keep on looking at it.

Your Garden's a bit Taj Mahal, isn't it? :)

Don't want to get too hokey here, but this image holds special meaning to me, and I know that in creating it I'm following something deep inside me,
I totally get that.

Ideas: you could use the Garden for the back of the cards, or else the lid of the box (or both). Or a spread cloth, though personally having that much image beneath a spread would put me off, but some are fine with visually busy cloths.

Just thoughts from me of course, it's *your* image.* I feel certain you will know exactly what to do with it, when it tells you. Possibly it simply wanted to be brought into existence.

* Well, I suppose it's its own actually.

blue_fusion

Beautiful. I like your style, especially with how you did the priestess' costume. Do you do costume design by any chance?

As for the garden card, well, you could try thinking which cards in the tarot have meanings and imagery close to your work, like, off the top of my head: the Empress and the Moon (the moon especially so since your work has most of the "visual cues" present in the traditional Moon card. - in fact, I did a similar image for a Moon card some years back :D). There might be some difference between what your image means to you and the traditional meanings associated with the Moon card, but I think that's okay. People follow their own impressions of the cards anyway - this would be true even for people who will purchase your deck, although I'm sure they'd appreciate knowing what inspired the artwork.

Right now I think you're in a bit of a crossroads, the choices being to follow RWS imagery very closely (as with the Magician and the Priestess), or to have a more "freestyle" approach to interpreting the cards (like the Garden card). While I'd love to see how you reinterpret the tarot "freestyle", I think you'd do great either way.

Good luck! :)

HallowedNight

http://i.imgur.com/NTX3tC8.jpg
...still need to add the water/fire/wind symbols to the table

http://i.imgur.com/2hBcQC6.jpg
Your art is absolutely gorgeous! I adore your High Priestess, she's beautiful. (I personally don't like the art in the Rider-Waite, so having the symbolism in your amazing style is just awesome.) Might I ask what technique/program you use for your art?

I also agree with some people who are saying that your Garden card could work as the Moon in the Major Arcana, but I think it would work just as well an extra card, because the symbolism and meaning that comes with a garden scene is very potent.

(If you ever publish a deck, I would buy it immediately just for your beautiful art! <3 w<3 )

MandMaud

I came back to have another gaze. :)

Your Magician seems female, maybe?
The first and main thing that struck me in this card is the downward-pointing finger: slender, long - seems most significant.

I'm not saying anything *about* these points. Only saying them.

:)
mm

anju

My intention wasn't to make him female, but I was consciously trying to put a little fem in the masc and masc in the fem, so maybe that's coming through, and if so then I'm pleased :)

Aw man.. I appreciate the encouraging comments! I really like how these are turning out too :). I'm using Photoshop and my own brushes/effects. I've spent all afternoon designing another card after coming across the phrase "I must go witherso Wisdom and my Inner Self may lead me". I'm calling it "The Path". I will use this card to keep myself locked into my own personal and unique journey, no matter where it takes me..

And I've decided to create a separate deck of my own meditation cards instead of trying to figure these into the Tarot. Really good suggestion :) I would be able to apply my own understanding of symbols into them, as well as my own Wisdom.

And then I would really like to spend some time producing my own Tarot deck because it's so beautifully and perfectly done.

MandMaud

I've spent all afternoon designing another card after coming across the phrase "I must go witherso Wisdom and my Inner Self may lead me". I'm calling it "The Path". I will use this card to keep myself locked into my own personal and unique journey, no matter where it takes me..
Wonderful, you do that - it's the only way and it is certainly leading you to some gorgeous, inspired art. :)

So relieved you were glad about the feminine Magician thing, I wondered if I'd been too bold, as you do... I like him for (partly) that reason, so the comment was meant as you took it.

It's clear that plenty of people will be interested in your tarot deck and your meditation cards!

Lady Morgaine

These are gorgeous! I am amazed that these are in Photoshop. They look like watercolors and ink. What a beautiful touch you have. What talent. I know I would want to buy your deck if you have it for sale! I hope to see more!

LM

TheStarsAndTheMoon

Your art is absolutely gorgeous! I adore your High Priestess, she's beautiful. (I personally don't like the art in the Rider-Waite, so having the symbolism in your amazing style is just awesome.) Might I ask what technique/program you use for your art?

I also agree with some people who are saying that your Garden card could work as the Moon in the Major Arcana, but I think it would work just as well an extra card, because the symbolism and meaning that comes with a garden scene is very potent.

(If you ever publish a deck, I would buy it immediately just for your beautiful art! <3 w<3 )

I second this. I would buy your deck in a heartbeat. I'm also not a huge fan of the original rider Waite art either (but I've been feeling like I should own a deck anyway). Your artwork is fantastic and I'd totally snatch up a copy of your deck if you ever published it to take the place of a rider Waite. I love the garden card (especially being a gardener and the fact that it has a moon. I love moon imagery). I think it could be the moon card in the majors, but I also like the idea of an extra card. The crystal visions tarot has an extra card and it fits right in seamlessly, at least I think it does. :)

Thoughtful

Your 'The Garden' card is so lovely and haunting, it brings a sense of peace and oneness to me.
It reminds me of the essence of the High Priestess i.e.secret knowledge, calm, spiritual self, inner wisdom and wonderment. l could easily accept this card as a 2nd High Priestess card or just left as The Garden to allow readers to intuit what they sense within a reading. l believe it came to you for a reason and should be included in your tarot. l feel readers would find a lot within this card that is if you ever decide to publish it, hope you do. :)

Beautiful artwork and colouring, look forward to seeing more cards.

Edited to add: l personally do not use reversals but you ask what this card could mean as a reversed card, going by what l feel and have mentioned above, it could possibly mean stress, losing one's way, feeling alone, spiritual emptiness.