name this visconti deck

UrbanBramble

I'm trying to narrow down which Visconti deck I have. It's oversized with gold embellishments and a brick colored back (no design on back). No words / numbers on cards. I attached a photo (hopefully I did it right).

I THINK it's the Visconti-Sforza Pierpont Morgan Tarocchi Deck.

It came with a box and booklet but those are long gone. I got it second hand at a thrift store in San Francisco so I don't know its history. There are two five of swords in the deck and no three of swords. I'm assuming this was a misprint. Does anyone know how this affects the price of a deck? I know these aren't rare / oop or anything, just curious about that.

Attachments

• IMG_20140616_142256.jpg
    IMG_20140616_142256.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 175

gregory

Those brick-coloured backs are very much like my USG/Gutenberg printing from 1975, too. But they are bigger than the one PW mentions - so size is critical here.

UrbanBramble

That looks like the same deck, Pathwalker. The size of the cards is correct.

I also saw this description of the US games deck:

http://felicityk.info/tarot/visconti/index.html

The second edition by US games (1975) looks exactly the same to me. On the website above it says the 3rd edition measures 18 X 9 CM which is equivalent to 7 X 3 1/2 inches but doesn't list size for the second edition. Gregory, do you know the size exactly for the USG 2nd edition? Any other keys to telling the difference?

agviz

It looks like you have either the 2nd U.S. Games printing or the Dal Negro based on your Tower card.

I love the Visconti and I have the Lo Scarabeo (gold), Meneghello small and large, U.S. Games 1st and 3rd, and Dal Negro (see attached image with decks listed left to right in the order mentioned - sorry it's not better quality image). Some info on the larger decks:

Meneghello: 6 3/16" x 3 3/8" x 1 3/4"(thick!) - somewhat matte
U.S. Games 1st: 7" x 3 9/16" x 1" - somewhat matte
U.S. Games 3rd: 7" x 3 9/16" x 1 1/16" - somewhat matte
Del Negro: 7" x 3 5/8" x 15/16" - slightly glossy

edit: I corrected some measurements & removed redundant link.

Attachments

• Visconti.jpg
    Visconti.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 125

nisaba

I THINK it's the Visconti-Sforza Pierpont Morgan Tarocchi Deck.

I think that, too. I just pulled mine out and had a look - same. I don't have an accurate measure to hand to measure it.

The two-of-one-card-none-of-another is a packing issue.

Debra

The two-of-one-card-none-of-another is a packing issue.
No, I don't think so. Look carefully at the swords. As I recall, they lightly sketched two extra swords onto the three to make up for the missing five or swords card.

UrbanBramble

It is the USG 2nd edition from 1975. I found the booklet.

And you're right on the 3 of swords / 5 of swords, it isn't a misprint, it's the way they colored in the 3 of swords.

Thanks everybody!

Wendywu

Yay!! I'm so glad to hear that :)

I'm the one who bought it from UrbanBramble and it has reached Chiska (who says it is gorgeous) and will be on its way to me shortly. I am so looking forward to it. I really wanted the 2nd edition :party:

UrbanBramble

I'm so glad it's going to you, WendyWu! It's nice to know a deck will be loved.

Yay!! I'm so glad to hear that :)

I'm the one who bought it from UrbanBramble and it has reached Chiska (who says it is gorgeous) and will be on its way to me shortly. I am so looking forward to it. I really wanted the 2nd edition :party: