Vintage-style Marseille deck, looking for feedback (hoping to kickstart this summer)

daphne

Thanks for the confidence/support! We're pretty blown away by how much support we've gotten, we were (pretty obviously) not expecting to get more than around $5-6,000 and now it's looking likely we'll pass that, so we've been talking about what else we can do to make the decks awesome :)

Oh, but there are so many things to be done. And you will get even higher then expected, your deck is really well made.

Ideas for extras?
Like a really sturdy box.
A mini deck, as an extra that can be added for a certain sum to the pledge.
And gilded edges.
And silvery foil for some symbol, numbers or... like for the up-right position corner, for instance.
:)

spiralingcadaver

Aww, thanks :)

On the box, our upgraded one (well, the sample they sent) is 1/16" thick, so pretty heavy stuff already. I just tried standing on the empty box on one foot, and it remained stable with only a slight crease in the box from, y'know, 150+lbs shifting on to it. (I've beaten up the samples they've given us pretty thoroughly, now, to test durability... I feel a little bad about it, but that's what samples are for.)

On a mini deck, that'd be pretty cool, though doing an entire second print run would probably mean that isn't likely for us to be able to afford.

On foil stuff, that could be fun, but I definitely want a non-foil version, so that would only be if we could get the printers to do a treatment on part of the existing deck (I can see if that's viable)

daphne

I like how you describe the way you challenged your samples, very funny.

As for a mini deck, check out printerstudio.com, you can order mini-decks really cheap, linen coating. Just an idea.

ueI

In a previous project I backed, backers said they dislike foil because it wears easily.
Where will the rules PDF be available after your project is finished?

spiralingcadaver

daphne, heh, yep, I think it's a lot of fun testing the limits of material, especially when it's something where I'd never normally try to damage it. On the minideck, the more I think about it, the more difficult to execute it feels, since the cards are a different aspect ratio and the difference in size will affect how the line quality will look. Not saying it's impossible, but it's not likely I'd be able to get one done and stick to the KS deadline so it's pretty unlikely at the moment...

ueI, yes, that was my major concern (I think the idea we've most talked about is replacing the yellow in the cards with gold to have an illuminated feel), but, like you're saying, it seems like it would wear easily, which is why we'd want to keep the regular deck without foil and leave the foil version for people who like a nice set of cards as mostly non-functional.

On the PDF, we'll probably be putting out a draft of the print booklet for backers to critique around the end of the campaign (hopefully before, not sure if it will get to a strong enough draft for that to be practical, particularly if the rules see additions), and may be open to non-backers so potential backers can also preview the rules.

The larger PDF of all content will probably also see a draft or two that are backer only. The final version will need to in some format that allows people who get the deck after the kickstarter to access it, so we're not sure how that will be stored yet. The second PDF will probably be one of the last things we'll be putting out, because it's both the least far along and not necessary for any print run so won't affect physical delivery, so most other elements will be seeing higher priority.

DeToX

These are very appealing. Great job!

spiralingcadaver

Thanks!

A little update, too- the PDF is getting nicer images due to another stretch goal we passed yesterday, and a backer caught that the Cups suit shouldn't have plurals, so those will be edited in the final draft. (The 2 of coins also has an error due to some misinformation, but we've known about that for a while.)

spiralingcadaver

So, we got the bag samples, and they look great!

Also, we hit another print, and have changed some of the remaining stretch goals around, which we'll be talking about later today.

Link to pics of spiffy bag samples

spiralingcadaver

Thanks, not that I can take credit for the design (we gave our friend pretty free reign over the construction, since we already knew her work).

Also, said update is now up, including (probably) the final print option.