Agree? Disagree? With this vid on doing Lenormands

greatdane

We all have preferences, but to me, a Lenormand has images I can recognize. I do three card layouts. For those doing GT's I can imagine it's even more important to be able to quickly recognize what a card is, Fox, Dog, Fish?
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=735FB5FBB6B25246E375735FB5FBB6B25246E375

I personally don't like playing card inserts, but can see where those who use them or want to learn the associations would. It's just my personal preference, as I don't. It's interesting, because I said in a thread I didn't like MICE that looked too cute, I wanted them to look more malevolent or at least not like Cinderella's mice. But again, just my preference.

So agree with her choices? What would you say if you did a youtube vid on what you want to see on cards?

MoonGypsy

:D er...Those are both the same videos. :D

Amanaki

I have to say i am so agree with Donnaleigh in this video :) And my favourite deck is the one she talk a lot about in the beginning of the video. The Lenormand oracle deck i have, i do use it every day :)

Amanaki

Village Witch

I personally don't like playing card inserts, but can see where those who use them or want to learn the associations would. It's just my personal preference, as I don't. It's interesting, because I said in a thread I didn't like MICE that looked too cute, I wanted them to look more malevolent or at least not like Cinderella's mice. But again, just my preference.

The Rider-Waite Tarot is the only tarot deck I use and I love the multitude of symbolism on each card, as for me, it adds so much depth to the reading of each card; but when it comes to Lenormand, I agree with the video in that I like plain, simple easy to recognize pictures.

I also do not care for playing card inserts as I do not use them and find them distracting. And I agree that mice should not look cute but should look like sneaky little rodents that plays into the meaning of the mice card.

I did enjoy the video and the lady's speaking voice. The video was easy to watch and understand.

MoonGypsy

Donnaleigh totally rocks in this vid and all her others...
i almost always agree with her...
this one is no exception. :)
i have learned soooooo much from her, and
i continue to...She is a GREAT teacher.
Her method of teaching really resonates with
my personality. She is sooooo giving of her time
and energy...

baylys

I do agree with the majority of what she has said. With one exception...card inserts. I don't read with playing cards and on many decks the inserts are bigger than the picture itself. If the insert takes up more than 1/4 of the card space, then it shouldn't be there. I would rather a deck than has no playing card associations at all, but that is simply because I don't use them.

danieljuk

I agree with her in a way. We want to be able to get the symbol easily and there is one deck I have which is just the symbol. It's very minimalist! I don't mind other things on the cards if they are small like playing cards. I don't use them. But I have seen people on here use cartomancy with them and it was amazing! maybe I will in future! but I don't want them taking up a lot of space on the cards.

There is a difference I think between making clever takes on the traditional symbols and making them impossible to work out what they are! this is probably the same in tarot and other oracles. If the artist does not convey the image, it's a bad deck in any system. I just bought the Gilded Reverie and I was trying to work out a card and it was the coffin card! When I realised with the Egyptian sarcophagus theme it's really clever! I think decks are about how different artists depict the meaning or symbol but it has to make sense ultimately and be readable!

greatdane

Baylys and DanielJ

I just so agree with the playing card insert. I understand why putting the symbol for a card would be helpful for those who do use the associations, but when you have a BIG playing card insert on a Lenormand deck, it just seems overkill. If I WANTED to read with playing cards, I would read with playing cards. But for those who do find it useful, it seems the symbol should suffice and yet not be distracting to those of us who JUST want to read using the Lenormand symbols. Most Lenormands aren't huge and to have the playing card insert take up really much of the card at all, well, what I LOVE about Lenormand is the simplicity. There's the symbol, sometimes a bit more around it, but that's it. Clover, Fox, Fish....