Anna K. Study - Queen of Cups

Marirowana

The Queen of Cups is wearing a blue dress, and she has very long blonde hair. On her head rests a simple silver crown. She sits on a rocky shore, with her feet in the water. Her left hand is moving through the water, and in her right hand she nonchalantly holds a coppery cup filled with water. She is looking down, or maybe her eyes are closed and is she looking in

The sky is dark but bright, no clouds are blocking the view of the stars and the moon. In the distance, you can see the daybreak, so you can see another rocky shore with some trees. There is hardly any wind, there are no waves, but the water isn’t motionless. There are just some subtle wrinkles.

A waning crescent moon is seen in the east before dawn, so you have to get up really early to see it. Waning woon means the moon is decreasing in size, moving from full moon to new moon. This is a time for releasing and reversing, and to break bad habits. This is a time of deep intuition and a time for divination.

I see a lot of similarities with the traditional RWS Queen, on her throne of stone and surrounded by water, with the cup in her hand. To me, it looks like she is on an island, not far away from the shore. She is still connected to the shore, the mainland or the solid ground, but is a little bit drifted away – more free, no restraints, just her and her feelings. Sometimes you need some sollitude in order to really feel. But, the track back will always be there – the path of the moonlight.

The Queen of Cups, to me, is Water of Water. Therefore she has a very strong connection with her intuition and can be very –sometimes too- emotional. Water stands for emotions, relationships, love, friendship. This queen is insightful and psychic.

The water is deep, you can’t see the bottom, it stands for the unconscious mind. The queen has a connection with it, she can reach the bottom with her toes. She is someone who can ‘feel’ you, her fingertips are touching the water and she immediatly knows what’s up – you don’t need to tell her, she’ll just know. She senses your emotional vibrations and energies.
At the same time, the water is reflecting. The queen kan hold a mirror in front of you, so you get some insight in your own hidden mysteries. She’s here to tell you to look in the mirror, and be more compassionate. Either to yourself or to others.

The imagery and feeling of the card looks a bit like the High Priestess. They can both call for introspection, both are mysterious and dreamy, spiritual and intuitive. But the queen is a bit more worldly and affectionate, while the High Priestess is more indifferent.

The reflection of the moon forms a path, right to the queen. This reminded me of a nightly walk on the beach in my hometown, with my boyfriend. It was really cold outside, but we were drawn to the sea so we went out there. There were no waves, and the moon made a path right towards us, just like on the card. And my boyfriend said: “Oh what a coincidence this! The moonlight lane is coming right to the place where we are standing right now”. ...and he meant it, not realizing that the path is always coming right to you no matter where you are standing :D Anyway, that moment of pureness, romance and quietness, is a great summary of the atmosphere in this card.

(index)

Attachments

• QueenCups.jpg
    QueenCups.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 116

kduphily

Thank you Marirowana for making this thread, I have this deck and would love to have a study partner, I have such a hard time with the court cards. Wonderful insight on this card :)

Marirowana

Thank you Marirowana for making this thread, I have this deck and would love to have a study partner, I have such a hard time with the court cards. Wonderful insight on this card :)

Yes! Please join me studying this deck! :) I'm having a hard time with the court cards as well, so I will be posting a thread about each one of them the following days/weeks, to tackle them down once and for all. I want to get to know them, as a person.
Thanks so much for your reply! It motivated me.

flipperjane

I feel I have finally found my way with the Courts. Anyone who has trouble with Courts should have a look at this deck because the essence of each character seems to be caught so well. I am just beginning to study this deck so I don't know it at all yet but one of my first reactions was that some of the cards looked too 'obvious'. I'm beginning to appreciate their qualities a little more now I study them. I too am grateful to Marirowana for her work here

flipperjane

Yes the connections with the High Priestess and The Moon are very obvious here aren't they. I would like to see some red though or some other hint about love- for me The Queen of Cups is very much about love and romance as well as all those other qualities you mention and I don't feel that this is reflected in this card. I think maybe the card just feels a little dark for me (colour wise not feelings )

Marirowana

Adding the romance for you

Anyone who has trouble with Courts should have a look at this deck because the essence of each character seems to be caught so well.
Agreed! This deck helps me project the meanings of the courts on other decks, as well.
Yes the connections with the High Priestess and The Moon are very obvious here aren't they. I would like to see some red though or some other hint about love- for me The Queen of Cups is very much about love and romance as well as all those other qualities you mention and I don't feel that this is reflected in this card. I think maybe the card just feels a little dark for me (colour wise not feelings )

Colourwise, it is dark indeed, and some red to distinct it from the High Priestess would have been appreciated... I get my romance in this from that memory of the romantic walk in the moonlight, but you can also read it on her face. Doesn't she look like she is thinking about her lover, with his chamommile and books? :D see her blush?

Live by the sun, love by the moon.

kduphily

Doesn't she look like she is thinking about her lover, with his chamommile and books? :D

I just had an A-Ha moment with this card, she does look like she is thinking of her lover, with his chamomile and books...and love the line ^

finally I can put a look and feeling to a court card lol

flipperjane

Colourwise, it is dark indeed, and some red to distinct it from the High Priestess would have been appreciated... I get my romance in this from that memory of the romantic walk in the moonlight, but you can also read it on her face. Doesn't she look like she is thinking about her lover, with his chamommile and books? :D see her blush?

ok I'll go along with this - I reckon she might be having some 'loving thoughts' :D