Bruegel Tarot - Seven of Wands

contrascarpe

Undaunted by the slow acceptance of the Bruegel study, we plug along ..... As promised, the Seven of Wands is up to bat.

I wanted to do a comparison to the RWS because when I first looked at this card, I immediately thought of the Five of Wands (the young men sparring with the wands) and not the Seven - so I pulled out my old ragged RWS and what was the top card? The Seven of Wands of course! Hmm, maybe this is more than a coincidence.

The depiction of the Seven Wands on RWS is the solitary figure standing on a wall fending off invaders.

The focal point of the Bruegel version is sort of conveys the same message, but in this case, the defender is not alone. I focus initially on the man in the middle facing us. He, to me, is the figure being attacked. He holds his five pointed pitchfork (?) high in the air as an act of defiance. The man to our left in the foreground seems on the attack, but a woman crosses his advance with her pitchfork (not that the attacker and the woman wield a three pronged pitchfork - not sure of the significance of that). Intitial thoughts to the meaning of this scene - like the RWS, you are on the defensive, but in this case you cannot rise above your ego to realize that you cannot handle the situation alone - you need support.

The dog in front lower corner seems oblivious to everything and is munching on a loaf of bread left on the ground. Since the dog is emaciated, I see this as neglect on someone's part - perhaps an extension of the ego I mentioned before - one that is so strong willed that their tunnel vision is causing them to forget to look outward and satisfy the needs of others (selfishness?).

To the right in the background stands a King holding a large staff in his right hand and a small bow (as in bow and arrow) in his right. An egg seems to be rising off his back. He is looking down at ...... a man he is stepping all over! The man aslo is brandishing a wand but it is of no use. We cannot tell if the man is alive or dead, nor do we know if this is a case of royal mistreatment or self defense on the King's part. I sense it is more the former, some sort of oppression. The egg perhaps signifies that there is a cycle of oppression, but that may be a stretch.

To the left in the background, a sculptor is putting the finishing touches on a statue of a strong man brandishing what appears to be a club (the statue that is - the sculptor is holding a large mallet that appears ready to strike an oh so painful area of one's anatomy). Could the statue be that of Zeus? What does this signify - that subconciously we are creating a tyrant in ourselves? That the egotistical nature is a creation of our own doing, not of circumstances surrounding us?

The final focal point to me is in the sky toward the rear - it seems like large wands are being dispersed all over the countryside. My first thought was that of the wands you see on the RWS on the Eight - those disembodied staffs flying through the air. Perhaps this is an indication of what is coming in the next wand card.

The final symbol I wanted to mention was that of the mountainous terrain in the far distance - curiously only on the left and the right, not the center. This means the action is taking place in the valley.

Those are some of my observations. Hope others can see more.

Dan

contrascarpe

Oops - forgot the proverb!

Again, this is attributed to the LWB that came with the deck:

Success - Those who last, win (Slow and steady wins the race). Hmm, maybe I was off, hehe. I guess it all depends on how the old intuition is working at the time of the reading and how it applies to the context of the reading.

Also, forgot to mention that the Wands are synonymous with Summer in the Bruegel.

Dan

spoonbender

The long awaited... 7 of Wands!

Oh no! I didn't know it was that long ago since my last post on the Bruegel Tarot! I'm so sorry for that - I had no idea! Well, the reason I’m so late writing a reply, is because I was having trouble understanding this card. I thought the proverb from the LWB could help me: “Success. Those who last, win (Slow and steady wins the race).” Ok, as always the LWB wasn’t a big help.

Well, Dan, it was a good idea to compare the card with the RWS. I also see elements from that deck here. A young man stands in the centre of the scene and appears to be under attack. Yet here he is smiling serenely and is holding tightly – with his two arms - onto a... pitchfork! The pitchfork is pointing high above the people around him, spreading out hay all through the air (well, at least I think it's hay, but I liked Dan’s interpretation too). The whole atmosphere naturally makes me think the young man in the centre is a peasant.

Two other people – a man and a woman – approach: their faces are obscured by their sunhats, and they are each holding out a pitchfork, as if trying to intimidate or block the young man. This ties in well with the RWS 7 of Wands, doesn’t it? And interestingly, there’s duality shown, in the form of the man and woman. Struggle and oppression is indeed part of life.
(By the way, Dan, I think it's really interesting that you see the woman as helping the man, whereas I see her as one of the offenders - I think this will depend a lot on the reading! I'll definitely keep your interpretation in mind.)

Hmm... Maybe the young guy is trying to get to work, trying to do what he has to do (drying the hay) – but the other man and woman won’t let him! Yet the young man seems ensured and confident, and at the same time peaceful...

On the background, a sculptor is... sculpting. He’s holding a mallet, looking up sheepishly at the statue he created. Now, I recognised this statue – it’s a statue of Heracles. I think this is quite appropriate for this card, as, to me, the 7 of Wands and Heracles speak of someone with a strong character, who keeps on going when facing difficulty and who gathers his strength (did you notice how the 5-pointed pitchfork, together with the two 3-pointed ones adds to 11 – the number of Strength? Maybe this shows that together they’d be stronger).

To the right of the card’s background is a crowned, winged man, holding a bow and a staff – and walking all over a man – literally. He appears to be stepping on a (blindfolded?) man who’s lying on the ground, still holding a club in his one hand. Maybe that man was confused (the blindfold) and angry, and wanted to attack – but it’s still a harsh treatment to walk on him! I mean, is that really what he deserves? I’ll see this little scene as an invitation to think about enemies and problems I’m facing, and just what I want to achieve and how that affects others.

The skinny dog sniffing the bread on the ground seems to be related with that feeling of oppression – I see it as an invitation to think about my objectives (or about those of my enemies) and whether they are just and called for.

Once again, I'm so sorry that I'm so late with this!

Warm regards to everyone,
Spoonbender