on NOT buying decks

Padma

I find my interest is on the wane, and I only have about 40 decks. But as others have stated, most sit on the shelf, and as Le Fanu said, nothing magical happens after you get a new one - most times, anyways. I am beginning to feel like I am chasing holy grails.

There are a few indie decks I have supported this year, and I am glad of that. And occasionally the art of a deck is very tempting, but I already have a miniature art gallery in my current 40, so I am losing that *I just HAVE to have it* feeling.

I would rather place my money on great quality food and toys for my dogs :) there is a more immediate - and far deeper - reward in spending the hard-earned bucks on something that is happily alive, and that truly loves you back!

urbandryad

Due to nearly going broke by impulsively buying decks over the last two months, I've vowed not to buy another deck until June. Which is seriously taxing my self-control. So many pretty decks!

Seriously, it might be a good idea for us who have money spending and saving problems to get a 'tarot budget' book for planning out purchases when and how much you are willing to spend on a deck and whether you want to buy it brand new or try to find it cheaper second hand, etc etc.

That being said, I really want the Kwan Yin Oracle, which isn't tarot but the urge to get it is there. But I've bought three decks this month already, on the excuse that its my birthday this month and I can indulge myself. X) No Oracles or Tarot until June.

Laura Borealis

I try to recognize when I am buying a new tarot out of genuine interest, and when it is merely retail therapy. The retail therapy decks tend to be the ones that just sit on the shelf unused. That stands to reason - if I'm buying an object in an attempt to fill up some kind of emotional or spiritual emptiness, it is doomed to fail. I'm getting better at checking my motivation and avoiding the impulse buys, but it's an ongoing process and I still go through phases where the craving is stronger.

foolMoon

Before I was buying decks I didn't have, but now I only buy decks I do really really want.

Sulis

I don't really buy decks any more...
I just don't feel that I need any new decks and like you Nisaba and Le Fanu, if I feel like exploring a deck that isn't one of the 3 decks I usually read with, I go to my box of decks and pick something from there.

Having said that, I've just repurchased the charming Tarot Nova that I had many years ago and traded away. I don't really consider that a new deck though since I've owned and loved it before.

I think I probably buy one or two decks a year nowadays and honestly, when I get them I'm usually disappointed because they just don't gel with me and they end up unused in the box under the bed...

earthair

If someone would hurry up and design the perfect deck, we could all stop buying the 'almosts'.
My tricks to stop falling into impulse buying is to look at every single image and video of the deck I can find, especially those ones where people video themselves opening a brand new deck :thumbsup: then the next day look at them all again. After a few days of total immersion the mustavits usually go away. :)

Nemia

I enjoy the decks I have - just looking at them, taking out one card for comparison and playing a bit with them. I'm still hungry for some decks that are beautiful and that can teach me some more. I have to restrain myself and I don't have a large collection - ca. 40 decks, more than I ever thought I'd have.

I traded away two decks that I knew I wouldn't get closer to, but all the others are interesting and I try to touch them all from time to time. Even if only for shuffling, putting them back in order, and looking at them.

It's possible that over the next year, I'll give or trade away decks that I don't get any warmer with, and the list of must-haves is quite short at the moment. I may buy less and less in the future - I certainly hope so.

But I'm not over the deck buying desire. In a way, it replaced the book buying urge for me because my house is full and my Kindle replaces the printed books. So I buy tarot decks instead.

Padma

The de-enabling thread can really help, as well - I was saved from buying a pricey OOP deck I would not really have loved by a few very kind people here just a few days ago! :thumbsup:

Hemera

isn't this called 'saturation'? :)
Yes, I have reached a saturation point, sort of. I rarely buy decks anymore. I find myself alternating between a few trusted favorites. There are maybe 10 decks that I use and the rest of my decks are just collecting dust.
Having said that, however, I am really looking forward to that pocket sized Morgan-Greer and I will purchase one or two of those.

I have the Dark Angels tarot and I like it. The Dark Fairytale Tarot seemed to be the same style so I thought I'd like that too. And yes, it was made somewhat in the same style. When I've got it I looked through it almost in boredom. It's nice, but it did not bring plus value to my other decks that I already have.
Thank you rylla! You have just de-enabled me. I already had the Dark Fairytale in my shopping basket because, like you, I thought it would add something extra to my favorite Dark Angels. Someone mentioned (in another thread) that those two decks could be used together and so I got curious. Whew, I´m glad I read your post just in time, rylla :)

Le Fanu

De-enabling never really helps if you're in craving mode. It didn't with me anyway. I want, I buy.

One thing I have noticed is that this sudden rush of fundings and kick starters and independent publishing has left me a little bamboozled. There's so much out there and I can't be bothered excavating anymore. Plus I never really understand funding campaigns anyway and just sort of switch off. This trend for kick starting stuff has killed my curiosity, I have to admit. I know it's not supposed to but I fear that it is actually another reason why my passion has declined.

It's quite enough work keeping up with mainstream publishing without pouring energy into stuff that might not see the light of day.