Judgment vs Hanged Man

seaglass

Thinking about Judgment vs Hanged Man for advice. Individually I think either card would often be interpreted as "letting go." So where do they differ?

Judgment is often described as rebirth, the past being cleared away. So in an advice position, one might describe that as "letting go" of the past.

Whereas Hanged Man is also a sort of "letting go", perhaps of material attachments, letting go of control, of the will of the ego.

I guess I am mainly interested in the Judgment card, when it comes up as advice, and how to differentiate it in "letting go" from Hanged Man.

tarot_quest

I think that the Judgement is not only about letting go of something. You come to a culmination point were you realize something or you are redirected to a different path. This card can indicate that you should let go of the past, but not necessarily,

I see the Hanged man as more passive. His head is upside down and he needs time to evaluate things and to develop his own answer. He is hang to a tree, what else can he do ;) He has plenty of time to think and he is associated with the soft qualities of Pisces (detachment, letting go, compassion, meditation).

So as an advice, to me, the difference is that the hanged man ask you to take time to reflect on things and maybe to see things differently, with a new perspective. Judgement is more active and might be saying that you reached a critical point and that you need to redirect your effort right now in the appropriate direction. People refer to it as a ''wake up call'

PAMUYA

For me, judgement is a card looking within, an honest look, learning to love yourself, finding your calling. Making changes.

The hangman is looking outward, seeing the world with a new prospective, waiting to see, assessing, adjusting to new situations, holding back.

Thirteen

For me, judgement is a card looking within...The hangman is looking outward.
That's a nice way to put it. I'd add that in both, there is an inner change. But with judgement it comes from reassessing something in your own life, seeing it differently, and "freeing" yourself from it. Like a situation where a person hurt you—you don't want to hold onto that, but you can't let go. But if you look back on it anew and see that the other person was hurting, too you can forgive them. You can free yourself of the hold it had on you; you move on.

The Hanged Man, however, is not looking back at something that has a hold on him. In his case, he is in the middle a problem; to fix it, he steps out of the picture and behind the lens. This unique perspective allows him to see how to solve the problem. Sacrifice is also required; either a sacrifice to gain this perspective, or to solve the problem. Sacrifice means that you give up something that you'd rather hold onto, that you don't want to give up. But you do so for the greater good, as it were, and are able to move on.

So there's your difference. Looking back on something painful in order to gain a new perspective and free yourself of it, or sacrificing something so that you can gain a solution. Neither will be easy. And in both cases, you will "give up" something, and you will move on. But they are different types of "letting go."

seaglass

To me the within / without looking is usually reversed... I view Hanged Man as looking within, letting go of the external world and external values, to fall inside of oneself... whereas Judgment... is much vaguer. I don't know if I would necessarily view Judgment as looking within or without. I guess it's both.

violetdaisy

Thirteen put in words what I couldn't... S/he's soon good at that :)
But also, sometimes I get the hanged man "about" how to solve a problem and judgment as the ultimate solution to that problem.

Thirteen

Looking inward to see outward

To me the within / without looking is usually reversed... I view Hanged Man as looking within, letting go of the external world and external values, to fall inside of oneself.
Well, this actually doesn't contradict the view that the Hanged Man is looking out. I often describe the H.M. as looking infinitely inward (this as compared to the World which looks infinitely outwards). The reason you can have both—he's looking in but also looking out—is because it takes one to do the other.

Putting it another way, both Hanged Man and Judgement "free" themselves of worldly concerns. The Hanged Man sacrifices his worldly connections so he isn't in the world (he's just in himself) and so can view the world objectively. He can look out and see what he would have missed if he were part of the world. Also, for the Hanged Man, the perspective is for a purpose—he comes back to the world once he is done and uses his new insight to change things.

For Judgement, on the other hand, this freedom from worldly concerns is not a sacrifice, but a release. One that allows the person to change themselves and move on. So, yes, the Hanged Man goes inward, but he does it to look outward. Judgement looks inward in order to move forward.

seaglass

For Judgement, on the other hand, this freedom from worldly concerns is not a sacrifice, but a release. One that allows the person to change themselves and move on. So, yes, the Hanged Man goes inward, but he does it to look outward. Judgement looks inward in order to move forward.

There we go. Thanks, Thirteen.

Laurelle

The Hanged Man is the journey you take by yourself. Judgement is the collective consciousness that affects everyone.

The Hanged Man is stopping in the physical reality to try and assess a higher reality. Judgement is that higher reality.

Judgement can be about something from the past returning, while I don't see the HM as that interpretation.

The Hanged Man wants to access the akashic records, while Judgement IS the akashic record.

I see both cards as merging two things together that are opposites. HM is going to hang upside down and look peaceful which are two opposites merging into one reality. While Judgement is both fire and water merging together to create air.

On a mundane level, both are about the theater and history.

Laurelle

Thinking about Judgment vs Hanged Man for advice. Individually I think either card would often be interpreted as "letting go." So where do they differ?

Judgment is often described as rebirth, the past being cleared away. So in an advice position, one might describe that as "letting go" of the past.

Whereas Hanged Man is also a sort of "letting go", perhaps of material attachments, letting go of control, of the will of the ego.

I guess I am mainly interested in the Judgment card, when it comes up as advice, and how to differentiate it in "letting go" from Hanged Man.

Judgement remembers everything. I think as advice it is telling you to embrace what you have done in the past and come to terms with it.

If you feel guilty about something, then you can forgive yourself. Forgiveness indicates that you feel bad about something.

Judgement also reverberates the number 2. So it asks you to ask your higher self for advice. Meditation would be a good idea. Revisiting anything from the past to gain better insight into what you plan to do for the future.

Judgement also reverberates Justice (1+1=2), so there is a presence of cause and effect built into judgement. It says that you maybe feeling the effects of something you put into motion a long time ago. Advice is be careful what you say and do because nothing is forgotten. Be careful what you do to other people as well because Judgement is the collective consciousness of everyone and emphasises that we are all one.