The "Activist" of the Major Arcana

Debra

This logic:

All leaders are active (ists)
Not all activists are leaders.

I suppose most cards in the major arcana have "active" or "activist" features, yeah.

If I was, say, asking about a strategy for some kind of social change and wondering whether to pursue it through the courts, or try to negotiate with the authorities, or focus on nurturing a community of like-minded people--I'd be looking for to see if I drew Justice, or Emperor/Hierophant, or Empress, etc. (Just an example)

If I drew the Magician, I'd be looking for that...activist :laugh:

treelet

And while I can concede that there are activists who are not leaders (Rosa Parks comes to mind),

Just pointing out, for the sake of clarity, that Rosa Parks made a conscious decision as a private citizen to actively protest bus segregation through defiance of an unjust law when she sat down on that bus in 1955. She was already the secretary for the NAACP chapter of Montgomery (when she joined, she was the only female member), a staunch organizer, and specifically championed for the protection and rights of Black women both within and without the movement for more than a decade before that.

Amanda

Hitler was not a leader but perhaps more of an activist though he held a position of leadership. He is considered a pseudo-transformational leader which essentially means "false leader".

To be an 'activist' implies there is a 'cause' and a 'cause' implies an 'ideal'. That can be good or bad. Good for the Magician. It's more about how this power is controlled than the definition of the person controlling it. A good generic power card for a good generic term like 'activist'.

Thirteen

Just pointing out, for the sake of clarity, that Rosa Parks made a conscious decision as a private citizen to actively protest bus segregation through defiance of an unjust law when she sat down on that bus in 1955. She was already the secretary for the NAACP chapter of Montgomery (when she joined, she was the only female member), a staunch organizer, and specifically championed for the protection and rights of Black women both within and without the movement for more than a decade before that.
All of which prove her to be a person of conscience and active in politics--and certainly, to my mind, an activist. But not, necessarily, a leader.

Leaders take the "lead" in creating plans, making speeches, and directing those who follow them; leaders have a vision and mission, be it a grand unselfish one or a selfish one, and they have the ability to get people to listen and obey them. Being an activist (deciding to work for an organization that is going to change things, meeting with other like-minded people in the organization to discuss action, etc.) doesn't mean one wants to be a leader (and becomes one), nor that one has the talent or ability to become a leader.

I'm not saying, by the way, that Rosa Parks didn't have leadership talent; but I am saying that she ceded leadership to others; she acted when action needed to be taken and got the ball rolling, but she didn't then say, "Follow me! I know what to do next..."

Thirteen

Hitler was not a leader but perhaps more of an activist though he held a position of leadership. He is considered a pseudo-transformational leader which essentially means "false leader".
Why, exactly, isn't he considered a leader? I'm curious as I'd certainly have cast him as one, abet an evil one.

pandap

Why, exactly, isn't he considered a leader? I'm curious as I'd certainly have cast him as one, abet an evil one.

Hitler was in my opinion, a brilliant leader and a brilliant activist. It's a great shame he was misguided on his policies as he could have done some real good if he directed himself towards that end.

I would see him as a combination of the Magician (for his eloquence and superb oratory and ability to bring in the people) and the Knight of Swords (for his determination and ability to get things done decisively - if not erratically) as an activist.

ThusSpokeZarathustra

I'm loving all of these interpretations! We've got a solid amount of different takes on cards that could be "activists," it's very interesting to read about. For example, I had never considered The Star, Strength, or The Hermit as possibilities before! I hope to hear more. :)

Magician indeed was a card that came to mind, but as Thirteen pointed out, I'm not sure the Magician is an activist in the modern sense of the word. He's certainly active, proactive even, and has the communication skills of an activist. That being said, I think any activist needs an agenda, a credo, or a set of ideals they believe in so strongly that they want to try and inspire change in favor of those ideals. They fight for a cause. The Magician has little interest in shaping society or championing a cause--he's only truly interested in impressing others and using his social intelligence to benefit himself. That's not to say he's necessarily selfish, but that his endeavors are largely for himself.

Why does there have to be a single activist in the Majors?
I suppose that's true--for as broad a term as "activist," it's difficult to say only one Major can be one. Perhaps I should have specified certain types--like social activist, political activist, etc.

Amanda

I'm making a distinction between the person and the position. He held a leadership position. He was not really a leader though. Pseudo-leaders have warped ideals like Hitler, lack in morals or ethics, and they are more interested in pushing their own agenda, rather than what's best for society. Authentic leadership is socialized and concerned with a collective good.

My other point though, is that the activist IS the ideal; they walk it, talk it, live it, prove it... totally personally aligned, one-and-the-same with the ideal and therefore, the Magician. He's kind of enigmatic in that way (as above so below), and fitting to a general term: activist. He doesn't get the extended label that some of the other Majors might cover. Whatever the ideal is, he's aligned with it and it is his purpose to channel it.

Debra

....the activist IS the ideal; they walk it, talk it, live it, prove it... totally personally aligned, one-and-the-same with the ideal and therefore, the Magician. He's kind of enigmatic in that way (as above so below), and fitting to a general term: activist. He doesn't get the extended label that some of the other Majors might cover. Whatever the ideal is, he's aligned with it and it is his purpose to channel it.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking, only in a much vaguer and less articulate way. Amanda, right on!