Minchiate Reading Using Houses

firecatpickles

I decided to post this in Readings since it's an actual reading, but the purpose of the thread is to introduce a new way of reading with the Minchiate.

It's exactly like a Lenormand Grand Tableau except I'm using Minchiate Majors instead of Lenormand cards.

The cards are laid out in a 10 x 4 square, with an "extra" card tagging off the end, which ends up being the bottom card of the deck. Some call it a Shadow card, a Heel card, or the Quintessential card. I prefer the term "Heel", personally. The heel card is "the tarot's last word" (to borrow a term from the Gypsy Celtic Cross Spread).

This is what the "spread" looks like:

reading%2B1_31_2016_wmp.png

In the following list, the pairs tell me what "House" (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) that each of the cards are in, and it tells a little story:

XXXVI. Star in the 1st House of The Juggler
XIV. Devil in the 2nd House of The Grand Duke (Juno)
XXIV. Libra in the 3rd House of The Big Emperor (Jupiter)
XVI. Hope in the 4th House of The Little Emperor (Mars)
XII. Traitor in the 5th House of Love
VII. Strength in the 6th House of Temperance
XV. House of God in the 7th House of Strength
XXX. Cancer in the 8th House of Justice
X. Chariot in the 9th House of Fortune
XXVII. Aries in the 10th House of The Chariot
XXXI. Pisces in the 11th House of Time
XIX. Charity in the 12th House of The Traitor
XXI. Water in the 13th House of Death
XXVIII. Capricorn in the 14th House of The Devil
XXXIV. Taurus in the 15th House of God
XXXVIII. Sun in the 16th House of Hope
VI. Temperance in the 17th House of Wisdom
VIII. Justice in the 18th House of Faith
XXXII. Aquarius in the 19th House of Charity
XXV. Virgo in the 20th House of Fire
XXXIII. Leo in the 21st House of Water
I. The Juggler in the 22nd House of Earth
IV. The Little Emperor in the 23rd House of Air
XXXIX. World in the 24th House of Libra (Partnerships)
III. The Big Emperor in the 25th House of Virgo (Health)
XXXV. Gemini in the 26th House of Scorpio (Sex)
XXXVI. Moon in the 27th House of Aries (Self)
XI. Time in the 28th House of Capricorn (Politics)
II. The Grand Duke in the 29th House of Sagittarius (Higher Learning)
XXII. Earth in the 30th House of Cancer (the Mother)
XXIII. Air in the 31st House of Pisces (Secrets)
XVIII. Faith in the 32nd House of Aquarius (Friendship)
IX. Fortune in the 33rd House of Leo (the Father)
XXIX. Sagittarius in the 34th House of Taurus (Possessions)
XX. Fire in the 35th House of Gemini (Environment)
XL. Fame in the 36th House of The Star
XVII. Wisdom in the 37th House of The Moon
V. Love in the 38th House of The Sun
0. Fool in the 39th House of The World
XIII. Death in the 40th House of Fame
XXVI. Scorpio in the 41st House of The Fool (Heel Card)

But this is a lot of cards and a none too useful way of analysing them, so I chose instead to use a Lenormand technique to read, through what some call "chaining". Again, personal choice, I prefer to call it "piggybacking". Since my Significator is Cancer, I read the story onward, from XXX Cancer.

The question is the general atmosphere surrounding the recent spate of interviews I had last week--there were three of them in one day, one department---and the upcoming agility test I have this morning. Basically, the question was, "How am I perceived and what are my chances for getting hired on?" The answer:

Cancer in Justice: [...and Faith] I think this combo is about self-confidence; since XXX Cancer is "me"; and, confidence in the system.

Justice in Faith: [See above, "confidence in the system".]

Faith in Aquarius: The firefighters there were friendly (Aquarius/House of Friendship) and seemed to have faith in me that I could get the job done, as they openly commented on the shape I was in. They are. afterall, fielding candidates that are up to snuff for a physically demanding job...

Aquarius in Charity: Again, it was a friendly atmosphere where I would be given a chance at the position.

Charity in Traitor: Some people call this Hanged Man when using Minchiate, but the Italian title is il traditore, so I like to read it as the Lenormand "Snake" card. It's about jealousy and backstabbing.

Traitor in Love: But this combo shows this "treachery" was not intended, just an oversight. There was a person who said he was going to contact someone about me for this position, but it was forgotten about.

Love in Sun: So the intention was there but didn't pan out. In the end, it may not have been necessary or perhaps not particularly important.

Sun in Hope: This is straightforward--I hope to achieve the position!

Hope in Little Emperor (Mars) : [The "Papi" cards; II, IIII, and IV; I like to read as "Juno, Jupiter and Mars".] My hope is also to achieve mastering the skulls testing this morning. Mars is all about "the skills".

Little Emperor (Mars) in Virgo: Virgo rules the House of Health. Mars (male energy/vitality) is neither exalted nor in its fall in Virgo. This is a good combination to have here. It bodes well for the test. [This is written after the actual agility test as I did not have time to finish it this morning. I ended up scoring "Excellent" on it, about 35 points away from "Good" or average :p]

Virgo in Fire: Seeing Virgo between the House of the Little Emperor (or Mars) and the House of Fire reiterates the combo, above.

Fire in Gemini: The Fire card in the House of Gemini (House of Communication) shows that my communication skills are. I successfully communicated my knowledge about the Fire service during the test.

Gemini in Scorpio: Communication in secret. There has to be a few more conversations about the hiring process and who will eventually fill the positions. In other words, there is a waiting game, waiting for a phone call!

Scorpio in Fool: Fool is of course a new beginning, like the Lenormand "Child" card. Scorpio can mean that secretly they know if I will be hired already, as if they have made a decision and cannot tell me until all the candidates are interviewed (plausible); or that I will get the job (a new opportunity in an occupation that deals with fire [Mars ruling such occupations]).

Fool in World: New beginning as culmination of effort. Pretty self-explanatory. Another combo that suggests I will be hired.

World in Star: Looking at the Star card just reminds me of "Rider" in Lenormand. Interestingly, it showed up in the first house which in Lenormand is the House of the Rider. I think this is the key message of the reading. Especially since it's in the House of the Magician.

Star in Juggler: (aka the Magician). It is about using skill sets to accomplish something, like getting hired for a job. Star is also about being recognized. The combo means, simply, "skills recognized".

Juggler in Earth: Earth is like the "Tree" in Lenormand. It's about health. And part of the requirements for this job is be vitally healthy. It's looked at as a part one's skills and abilities: it takes discipline to stay in shape and healthy. Summarized, this combination could mean, "skillful person is fit for the job."

Earth in Cancer: I am one of the most healthy candidates up for the position.

CosmicBeing

Wow this is so cool. Thanx for introducing this to us. I love huge spreads. So I definitely might try this out.

firecatpickles

Glad you like it! There is more to come...

firecatpickles

Horizontal

There are 10 cards is each row, and in the horizontal like that connects with my significator. I just think this is too much to read! Instead, again using a Lenormand-like technique, I will look at the cards immediately surrounding my Significator XXX. Cancer:

If my Significator was in the middle of the row I may have to rethink it, but for this reading I will look at the cards in its immediate vicinity.

Two cards to the left and two to the right of Cancer....

Strength ~ House of God ~ (Cancer) ~ Chariot ~ Aries

House of God equals Tower in the Minchiate. Tower is about external change, and change one has no control over. The simple message here is that change is good. There are changes going on at the department I interviewed with. The Chief has only been there for two months. This external change may be in reference to me, and others, that are being brought in (if I get the job). This combo is a promising one. The next combo is also promising. Aries is practically another Strength card in this deck; notice how they mirror one another. Chariot is a "travel" or "journeying" card. This job would require me to travel out of town every other three days. House of God (Tower) and Chariot also mirror each other: a sudden change or disruption in my normal routine. This is also a fortunate combination.

firecatpickles

Vertical

Underneath Cancer I have:

V. Love ~ XI. Time ~ VI. Temperance

Doing what I love for a period of time, and being patient and moderate in my daily living has brought me to this point.

[I look at this column in the Grand Tableau {even though this is tarot, I will use the same terminology} as the card in a Celtic Cross 7th position, "Foundation or Feelings".]

These are all promising cards! I am feeling more optimistic about the outcome of these interviews :D

Up next, "Diagonals".

firecatpickles

Diagonals

The locations of XXX Cancer (my Significator) allows for only two diagonal: one approaching and one departing.

The approaching line shows events leading up to the situation or question. It could be past influences, but that's not to say the influences don't persist:

Fire ~ Gemini ~ Temperance

There were active discussions up to this date; such as background checks and calling references; and fielding applicants for the position. Temperance next to Cancer suggests the perception that a good homelife is present, or that there is an acceptable standard of mode of living.

The departing line show influences that are consequences of the situation, or it could also be read as the future:

Aquarius ~ Air ~ Scorpio

Aquarius rules the House of Friendship, so this is an indicator that I am seen as open and friendly. Scorpio rules the House of Secrets. There is the private side of every life. but we have Air bridging the two. There isn't much to hide and there isn't anything hidden. The after-effect of the screening process is that everything is out in the open. I think the Air card here is quite literal, that things are aired or cleared.

firecatpickles

Knights

Knights are read in the positions that a Knight in the games of Chess moves. They are immediate or present influences in any given situation. In a career reading, I feel they mean what others consider about you. If I had to compare diagonals with knights, I'd say that the diagonal that the querent is the direct object; with the Knight, the querent is the indirect object.

Knights are read in respect to the Significator, Cancer

Virgo. Ruler of the House of Health. This is about fitness for the job. The agility test that was given was passed with flying colors. Virgo's plume indicates being prepared for the test. This test was one of the strengths of the interview process and may be the deciding factor should I get the job.

Grand Duke. This card represents Juno, or the feminine energy present. It is about compassion. Firefighters have to have a nurturing quality and a humility when dealing with emergencies. The last thing one needs to be in hard-headed and gung-ho in emergency situations. I feel like their questions and examinations revealed the fact that my temperament is right for the job.

Moon . Sun. The Sun and Moon both show this same sort of dichotomy that is needed in a position like this. From Lenormand it is difficult to separate Lenormand meanings from Minchiate. Moon and Sun mean "Recognition" and "Achievement". These are both great and promising cards to get in knighted positions.

There may also be a timing answer involved with these two. The Moon and Sun are measured together (note the calipers in the Moon card) by Moon phases. Each moon phase is about 4 days (6 phases, 27.3 days moon cycle), So I think I will have an answer by Friday!

Michellehihi

Very interesting! But I have a question: I read somewhere that Faith is the equivalent of the Popess, what is your opinion on this?

firecatpickles

There is no historical evidence that the Minchiate was ever used for divination, so "experts" are constantly assigning meanings to the cards. The problem with the "Papi" (II. Grand Duke, III. Big Emperor, and IIII. Little Emperor) is that they won't exactly coincide with the II, III, and IIII of the tarot, so some suggest Faith is the Popess (since she doesn't equal the Minchiate's III. Big Emperor) card.

I'm still trying to make sense out of the meanings, but Faith as Popess do it for me. Faith is closer to the Lenormand "Dog" card, in opinion. As for the Papi, I'm leaning closer to them being like 34. Fish, 35. Anchor, and 36. Cross. But then again, O'm looking at it from a grand tableau/ keyword system.

Again, this is in no way "traditional", but there doesn't seem to be a Minchaite tradition of divination as far as I know.

Michellehihi

There is no historical evidence that the Minchiate was ever used for divination, so "experts" are constantly assigning meanings to the cards. The problem with the "Papi" (II. Grand Duke, III. Big Emperor, and IIII. Little Emperor) is that they won't exactly coincide with the II, III, and IIII of the tarot, so some suggest Faith is the Popess (since she doesn't equal the Minchiate's III. Big Emperor) card.

I'm still trying to make sense out of the meanings, but Faith as Popess do it for me. Faith is closer to the Lenormand "Dog" card, in opinion. As for the Papi, I'm leaning closer to them being like 34. Fish, 35. Anchor, and 36. Cross. But then again, O'm looking at it from a grand tableau/ keyword system.

Again, this is in no way "traditional", but there doesn't seem to be a Minchaite tradition of divination as far as I know.
Ok, so knowing this, is it useful that I try to find a book explaining the meanings of the cards (I am thinking of the one by Williams), or I should just consider it an oracle and go with my intuitive feeling? But then this raises another question: if I go intuitive, I don't even know the titles of the cards!!!!
Thank you again!