Why so many Tarot readers or psychics are wrong?

Barleywine

I'm in the "insight and perspective" camp, too. Taking tarot pronouncements too literally shuts out many of the nuances that make the act of reading so rich. These subtleties are often what shed the most light on a matter when a straightforward approach doesn't connect. Prediction in a simple "Yes or No" sense is certainly possible, but what often emerges for the more insightful reader is a resounding "Maybe . . . but." A good reader has the skill and sensitivity to tease these highlights out of the reading. I'm thinking a useful analogy might be a barometer that has the ability to communicate upcoming changes in the weather more effectively than a thermometer, which is primarily a "lagging indicator." There are usually more variables at work than a single-pointed measurement can convey.

I also agree with the observation that face-to-face interaction is crucial to achieving the best result, but it appears that the readings in question were all interactive rather than remote. So it comes down to how wide a net the reader is able to cast.

tarot_quest

I have had readings that felt "inaccurate", meaning I didn't recognize myself in the description of me as a person or my life situation, and the predictions turned out wrong. Then again, there were bits and pieces of the reading that resonated and helped me in some way, so I didn't see it as a waste of time or money.

I had the same experience too. Most of the readings that I had were inaccurate, but part of it did resonate (so I also learn about myself).

What does that mean? I honestly don't know! Are there bad readers out there? Did the reader have a bad day? Was the "connection" off? Did I do something to block the reader? I'll probably never know the answer.

Those are good questions to ask Citrin! I already had those questions in mind and I agree that we will probably never know, which maybe adds to the mystery of it?

I agree that Tarot is not a science and your example about the girl who asked about her chances to get back with her ex is a good one because she only retains what she needed to hear instead of listening to the ''but...'' In my case, I asked these readers if this career would suit me and they all said ''oh yes! You will get accepted, no worries, this is your place''. Honestly, I was wondering if they would have warn me against something or told me ''You know, there is a chance, but...'' but they did not.

Thanks for your reply, you write really well :)

tarot_quest

I had a reading many years ago where they saw a promotion at work, which I thought was unlikely to happen, but it did happen within six months due to a nationwide restructuring within the business. A couple of years ago a different reader said I would be asked to teach someone something at work, again, I thought it was unlikely as I was having an awful time at work, a few months later we unexpectedly had a new manager who asked me to retrain a colleague who was having difficulties.

Both these were predictions as part of readings where I had just asked for a general overview of the months ahead, and both situations came about as a result of outside influences, rather than by any actions taken by me.

:) :) :)

I might be wrong, but with your example and examples from others, I have the impression that certain events are more pre determined than others... The problem might be when tarot readers try to predict with certainty some events that are less likely to occur without reporting the information with caution.

tarot_quest

Well to be fair many Dr's, scientists and engineers are also wrong, and quite frequently so. It seems strange to me that just because psychics are maligned as being frauds that people expect accuracy levels well above that of any other profession just to 'prove' that it's useful or valid. People readily accept a Dr's diagnosis could be wrong and don't go around calling the Dr concerned a fraud.

I totally agree and I often think about what you said here. Sometimes, I recall myself ''hey you know, even my boss who is an expert in a certain field in science makes some mistakes...'' so why not tarot readers?

Your point about asking questions to the cards to get some comfort and security is very good. I think that I am in that camp...

tarot_quest

How many years ago was this, tarot-quest? And did these readers say "yes it's perfect for you" or "yes you'll get in"? Something can be perfect for you in theory... Also, maybe it's still to happen or was it just one time opportunity?

Hi Saskia,

I saw these 3 readers within a bit less than 2 years (always with a minimum of 6 months between readings). Yes, 2 of them were convinced that it was my place and said that I was going to like this job even in 20 years down the road, that I was going to met a love interest there, and lots of info surrounding the job.

Was it a one time opportunity to get into this program? Well, yes and no. I wanted to enter medicine after my PhD. It's the second time I tried. The first time I did not get to the interview and this year I did the interview. I really gave my best and prepared, but so many people try to get in the program and I am just thinking that if I try again and again, I will not do much better for the interview because I have been myself and authentic. Which brings me to your second point

It's a shame you got inaccurate info. However, IMO, things happen in life for us we to grow so possibly in the grand scheme of things you're better off not attending this program (something better will come up).

This is comforting to hear! Thanks :)

I am in my late twenties. If I wait and wait to get accepted, I will start the program (if I get in) and spend so many years studying. Maybe life has other plans for me? I ask the cards which career or field would suit me twice within the last 2 years (including yesterday) and I got the death card. I have no clue but I will stay proactive and I hope that life will bring nice opportunities

tarot_quest

I'm in the "insight and perspective" camp, too. Taking tarot pronouncements too literally shuts out many of the nuances that make the act of reading so rich. These subtleties are often what shed the most light on a matter when a straightforward approach doesn't connect. Prediction in a simple "Yes or No" sense is certainly possible, but what often emerges for the more insightful reader is a resounding "Maybe . . . but." A good reader has the skill and sensitivity to tease these highlights out of the reading. I'm thinking a useful analogy might be a barometer that has the ability to communicate upcoming changes in the weather more effectively than a thermometer, which is primarily a "lagging indicator." There are usually more variables at work than a single-pointed measurement can convey.

I also agree with the observation that face-to-face interaction is crucial to achieving the best result, but it appears that the readings in question were all interactive rather than remote. So it comes down to how wide a net the reader is able to cast.

Hi,

I think that some readers are not amazing to get subtle cues from a reading. I cannot talk for myself because i try to do so in my readings, but it can be difficult.

Maybe these readers were too much in the mode ''black and white'' ''yes and no''? It's funny because they were more convinced than me that I was going to be accepted! I am often too optimistic but I am happy that I did not believe their predictions at 100%

azucena.alev

I know that sometimes it takes a while to find a reader that "clicks" with you. Each reader has different talents and ways of doing things, and if they don't line up with what you need then it can result in a "bad reading", unfortunately. I wouldn't give up on readings altogether though.

I'm definitely someone that reads in terms of providing insight as opposed to answering Yes/No questions. A lot of times I read for people and they ask about their ex coming back, or if they'll get a job, etc. and the cards show that they actually need to focus on something entirely different. "Yes, I know you want to find the love of your life right now...but what about your financial situation? The cards think that you need to give some attention there first?" And some people don't like this reading style, which may be why the readers you went to tried to focus more on the predictions and positivity.

tarot_quest

I'm definitely someone that reads in terms of providing insight as opposed to answering Yes/No questions. A lot of times I read for people and they ask about their ex coming back, or if they'll get a job, etc. and the cards show that they actually need to focus on something entirely different. "Yes, I know you want to find the love of your life right now...but what about your financial situation? The cards think that you need to give some attention there first?" And some people don't like this reading style, which may be why the readers you went to tried to focus more on the predictions and positivity.

I really like your reading style! I also think that the most ''pressing'' issues are important to consider. I don't feel that I got so much insight from these readers. It was predictions after predictions.

I would LOVE to meet a reader that gives me insight about my life. For now, my self reading are a bit better than when I meet readers... Still, I would like to get an appointment with an experiment tarot reader and get insights about my life. Maybe one day!

Saskia

Hi tarot_quest, I get your frustration after receiving unhelpful or inaccurate readings. However, I think your opening is a bit of a generalisation, "why so many tarot readers are wrong". In essence, your experience is about 3 readers and you say you've never had an insightful reading done, whereas quite a few people here on AT and outside of it feel they've received plenty of wise and accurate advice from tarot readers/psychichs.

So, I don't know if it comes down to bad luck (you found the bad readers) or what, it's difficult to verify this as there are no statistics existing showing how many readings are accurate and what percentage are not!

I'm inclined to think the readers you met simply weren't really good, if they focused on predictions instead of the now and what you could do to achieve your goals.

On the other hand, I do think that the timelines are the easiest to get wrong with tarot and you have been told that you would really fit in this program - now it's up to you to decide whether it's worth pursuing. Clearly it's a very competitive program and probably no one gets in just like that.

If you're worried about your age, just a note that I'm 30+ and I'm doing my PhD; I'll probably get my degree when I'm closer to 40 with this pace!! :D Age is just a number, follow what you think is the most fruitful path for you.

tarot_quest

Hi tarot_quest, I get your frustration after receiving unhelpful or inaccurate readings. However, I think your opening is a bit of a generalisation, "why so many tarot readers are wrong". In essence, your experience is about 3 readers and you say you've never had an insightful reading done, whereas quite a few people here on AT and outside of it feel they've received plenty of wise and accurate advice from tarot readers/psychichs.

Thanks for your message :)

I can generalise because as I mentioned in my other replies, I saw 6 readers and all of them did some mistakes in their predictions (and about my current life at that moment). I understand that readers can't be 100% accurate, but all of them were below 20-30% accuracy. I am just honest here. Does it mean that I don't believe in Tarot? No, I am fascinated by this discipline. I also did some accurate predictions in my readings for others. As I said earlier, I saw a very impressive astrologer. She did some mistakes but she was about 80% accurate, I would say

Also, I felt that I had signs and that it was my place to enter this program, but I am starting to think that there is a difference between what I should experience and what I wished. When you mentioned a ''grand scheme'' for me (better than this program, something more suited), it resonated a lot for some reasons....

If some ATers are interested, I recommend to read this article about predictions

http://www.afterlifetv.com/2013/05/...pitfalls-of-future-predictions-in-readings-2/