Los cartas de los muertos

AnemoneRosie

Has anyone heard of this deck before? I found it in a box as I was cleaning out some things; my dad must have used it on a show, or as research for a show, or something.
It's a Majors-only deck, and it's in Spanish. Now, I can use my French to understand Spanish, but I'm curious to see if anyone has anything to say about this deck?
From my quick look-through (just to ensure no missing cards) it seems up my alley.

FLizarraga

I don't have it, but it sounds interesting. Yet I cannot find any info about it on the Internet. Could you post picks?

AnemoneRosie

I can, but don't really have the space to lay out all 22 cards; are there a couple in particular that you'd like to see?
I suspect that, as the name suggests, it's themed to the Day of the Dead.

FLizarraga

Your favorite cards will suffice. :)

AnemoneRosie

There were some other very interesting ones with ever so slightly more traditional imagery. I find the titles interesting! The traditional card 14 (Temperance) is labelled "agua" or water.
At some point I may need to go through and translate the others.

Attachments

• IMG_20160430_163237386.jpg
    IMG_20160430_163237386.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 200

FLizarraga

Interesting! I was expecting a colorful deck, but I love this sort of "chalk on blacktop" simplicity. It's very expressive.

It seems to me like a Chicano creation, with second-generation Spanish. (A true native speaker wouldn't have made that particular error in the Emperor's name, or written "Homes" on his orb.) Does it have any printing information? It could easily be a one-off.

I love it!

P.S. Was your father a magician?

AnemoneRosie

It says "Designed by the renowned Chicano artist, Louis LeRoy."
The (1991) purchasing information sends us to Salsa Graphics in San Antonio, Tx.

My dad was not a magician, but he had magical products, like beautiful tissue paper flowers that took a while to fold up but that exploded into a large bouquet in a second. He also had some "renaissance tarot" reproductions (but not a full deck. I think he just picked and chose what he needed for the particular story he was telling), -I could never figure out which- which is what got me started on this whole thing when I was 15.

FLizarraga

This is the artist's obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/yumasun/obituary.aspx?pid=98754739.

So, as far as I can tell, you have probably one of the few copies, or maybe even the only one, of this amazing deck.

And you are talking around your father's profession or hobby and not fully disclosing it. I don't mean to pry, but could you talk a little more about him? He sounds like a fascinating character --the father I'd have loved to have, instead of... well, the thing I got.

AnemoneRosie

Oh... wow! Thanks for helping me figure this out! It's definitely a charming deck.

My dad's career took him to all parts of the world and his job was to create the visual world of believable characters. So whatever the characters were interested in (or might have been interested in) he had to learn about, and source, and create. Unfortunately this career path is becoming increasingly rare as movies rely ever more on green screens and CGI.

As a result of his job he collected all manner of interesting things. Becoming a pack rat is an occupational hazard for such folks, but there are always some gems in the collection.

FLizarraga

That sounds like a fascinating career. Truly. What a childhood you must have had! :love: