Tarot of Ceremonial Magic Study Group - The Magus

Zephyros

As foolMoon is busy I have been asked to post the next installment of this study group.

This Magus is interesting in that it is actually Crowley himself, or at least it echoes a picture of him, which I also uploaded. It is his seal in the background of the head, the seven-pointed Star of Babalon together with what I think is his motto, although I can't read it because I don't have the deck. Obscured by the head is maybe Crowley's personal symbol, a penis (seriously). In the Thoth this symbol can be seen on the Prince of Wands, a card which Crowley identified with yet was not born under.

Attachments

• Ceremonial Magick Magus.jpg
    Ceremonial Magick Magus.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Aleister_Crowley,_Magus.jpg
    Aleister_Crowley,_Magus.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 233

Abrac

The hand gestures are the same as Levi's Baphomet. The right hand holds a wand but the fingers are positioned the same as Baphomet; likewise with the left hand.

foolMoon

Thank you, Zephyros, for starting the new thread for the study group. My Thoth deck has 3 different Magus cards, and used to wonder if there are any differences in meanings for each card.

In Tocm, the Magus is Crowley when he was a young lad, I gather. But his symbol obscured by the head, I was not aware of it either. What significance would it have in the Magus card?

I recall reading, the Magus is the messenger of the gods, which is lingam, words without speech in BoT.

Abrac

This image reminds me of the back cover of LaVey's Satanic Bible. LaVey appears to be channeling the goat that's in the pentagram behind his head. The horns and ears of the goat seem to be part of LaVey's head; and he's making the sign of the horns with his left hand.

The DuQuette image might represent Crowley channeling Babalon, represented by the sigil behind his head.

ravenest

'Channelling Babalon ... Babalon sigil

Come on guys .

It says pretty clearly on the sigil what it actually IS .

ravenest

Hmmm ... I might even have to add this

It is the Lamen / Seal of the A. A.

ravenest

... and the 'body Mudra' ( ' hand gestures' ) ... God Form / pose is a 'sign of recognition' of a specific degree in the O.T.O. ( and not the A. A. 'Earth Sign' . )

But what is one to make of this depiction ? Where has the Bell gone ... the Holy Oil ... the R+C 'Badge of Office' ... the Robe becoming an episcopal violet ... the sword changing direction ... ummm ... The BoL missing .... !

yeah ... someone will probably say "Well the Stele is there ." But now the whole Bell Book and Candle thing has flooped ... the magical sign or gesture changed . The AC photo has the correct gesture for an AA magician , but the card changes it for an OTO one and puts an AA sigil behind it . From my recollection, none of this is explained in the book ?

Just a quick sketch with a splash of colour was it ?

Zephyros

I doubt it. Lon would know better, and even in a slipshod picture like this one he would know what gestures would mean what.

Point taken about the seal, though. :)

foolMoon

What would be significance / meaning / connection of channeling Babalon and / to the Magus card?