LS Bosch Tarot: What is your favorite card and why???

lunakasha

I would like to hear from anyone who is a fan of the strangely disturbing Bosch Tarot by Atanas Alexandrov Atanassov. I have recently acquired this wonderfully dark set of cards, and I am very much drawn to the artwork, based upon the style of 16th century artist Hieronymus Bosch.

From what I have read in the threads here, most people either love or hate the Bosch...but for some of you, it may be an acquired taste. I will be posting some of the cards here, so that those who are unfamiliar with these images will have the opportunity to explore and enjoy them here....welcome to the nightmare!})

First question:

What is your favorite and/or most disturbing Bosch card...and why do you love/hate/fear it????

:D Luna

lunakasha

X The Wheel

There are SO many strange and interesting cards in this deck....it was very difficult for me to narrow it down to only one. But I am anxious to see if some of my other favorites will be posted by others here....

I chose The Wheel (X)....for a couple of reasons....

The first thing I notice when I look at this card is the huge, lovely owl sitting atop the wheel.....he is SO gorgeous, wise and powerful. His eyes are all-knowing; he is the Master of the Wheel. Although.....if you look very closely at him (as I just did), you will notice that his eyes are just slightly cocked!!! LOL....typical of these cards....details really do make all the difference!

Second reason I chose The Wheel: yes, there is a LOT of detail here, and I feel that I could spend quite a good amount of time with this card, trying to figure it all out....which I have not done yet (LOL) so for now, I will simply observe....

Within the Wheel, there are several tortured souls being spun around. There is a bat-headed creature holding a cherry tomato, a fish-faced thing wearing a scarf on his head, several nude people with arms crossed in front of them, the anally-unfortunate one about to be prodded with a sword.....

Surrounding the Wheel, and indeed holding it in place, are several of these strange, thorny-looking plants or vines....some of them almost remind me of reptilian tails (and are seen in several of the cards, especially in the Cups suit).

What does all of this mean??? I really have no idea.....I will need to take some more time with it....meanwhile, here is a look at X The Wheel......

:) Luna

Attachments

• thewheel.jpg
    thewheel.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 215

Centaur

The Wheel is an excellent choice Luna. Most disturbing!!!

Well... I would have to say that I am particularly drawn to the Tower, most definetly one of the most powerful images of this lovely deck.

In this card we see a crumbling building. It looks like an empty shell of what is was before. Around the building are various abominations. These creatures almost appear to be revelling in the destruction and chaos. I am thinking that this is like a depiction of some kind of fiery, medieval hell.

Firstly, in the sky there is a winged beast clutching a set of ladders. There is also, what appears to be a man stood on top of another winged beast... this man appears to be holding a sword, or a weapon of some sort. To the left of the card, and hiding inside a tree, there appears to be a cowering nun. Below her, inside a wicker basket, sits a man clothed in white. He looks quite insane. Perhaps his witnessing of the abominations around him has driven him over the edge? Beside the man in the wicker basket, there is a rather odd looking beast playing a harp. In the river below the building there appears to be some body parts, and also a hooded person attempting to escape by riding a fish.

Well... why do I find this disturbing?! LOL! It just IS! Hahaha.

I would be very interested in hearing other's thoughts on what they feel is the most disturbing or favourite card in this deck.

Great thread Luna. :)

lunakasha

Here is a picture of The Tower (XVI):

I enjoyed your abominable post, Centaur! :p

Attachments

• the tower.jpg
    the tower.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 194

Centaur

lunakasha said:
Here is a picture of The Tower (XVI):

I enjoyed your abominable post, Centaur! :p

Thanks for posting the pic Luna! :)

hyatt

I am an art teacher and I LOVE bosch, but I haven't bought the deck yet. It's on my wish list. I love his art. I normally do a chapter on him and then surrealism. I show his art and the students have to guess when it was made. They freak out when I tell them that he was WAY before Dali. The video I have on him is very revealing too.
I haven't been able to look at the deck in person. Is there anyone that is very familiar with his work? Do you think the cards do him justice?

Centaur

hyatt said:
I haven't been able to look at the deck in person. Is there anyone that is very familiar with his work? Do you think the cards do him justice?

I am familiar with some of Bosch's works, and I think that this deck does indeed do him justice. It is strangely surreal, and disturbing. And I am drawn to decks of that sort. Haha.

I think once you have the deck in your hands then you will not be dissappointed. :)

lunakasha

Another favorite...3 of Pentacles

OK...here is a card that just makes me smile whenever I see it:

The 3 of Pentacles

Here is a strange little creature, balancing on two pentacles, while holding a third one in his left hand. He holds a long, pointed wooden staff in the other hand, almost as if he is using it to maintain his balance. I can also picture him tossing the coin up into the air and then balancing it on the end of the stick!!!

But let's talk more about the critter....who is he and what is his purpose on this strange, Boschian planet???

He looks to me like a cross between mammal, bird and reptile. He has long, furry legs and is able to stand upright on the pentacle-wheels...yet he has a long, reptilian tail (and maybe even some strange tentacles coming out from underneath the shield on his back?) and the face of a bird (or fish), with a wild feather mohawk on his head. What is he, exactly??? Well, on the planet Bosch, nothing is easily described or categorized...it just is what it is!!! (I like to think of him as Harry...don't ask! :D )

So....what is the little guy trying to do here???
What is his message for us???

This brings me to the reason I chose this as one of my favorite cards: I absolutely LOVE the expression on Harry's face.....

He represents focused determination, inner strength and self-control. Mind over matter. He is very much aware of his body position, his physical abilities, and he knows how to achieve his goal: to balance on those wheels, for as long as he needs to....

From the LWB: "Ability. It is not easy to rest on one's laurels if they are undeserved."

I am curious to hear from anyone else who finds this card interesting....anyone??? :p

Oh and I will post the card here tomorrow....

Centaur

Re: Another favorite...3 of Pentacles

lunakasha said:
This brings me to the reason I chose this as one of my favorite cards: I absolutely LOVE the expression on Harry's face.....

Harry?!!! Hehehe. :)

I see this guy as carrying out two rather difficult feats. Firstly, he is trying to balance on two pentacles, and keep himself within the little circle of stone which he stands upon. Secondly, he appears to me to be playing an invisible violin which only he can see. I think that this card perfectly portrays the meaning of working towards something... trying to master something... and ability.

I have just noticed that the stick he holds in his hand is a little curved at the top... almost like a weapon of sort. This would be in line with the shield he carries on his back. It also suggests that he is an innovative little fellow, using his weapon in order to play his invisible violin. })

Emily

Hi ppl,

How does the Bosch read? Its a deck that repels me yet fascinates me at the same time. I don't think I would be able to get past the artwork to see what the card is trying to say to me. I've never seen all of the cards, I usually find myself peering at the images online and thinking 'how can anyone read with it'. But I know that people do love this deck so it must have something lol.

Edited:-

I've had to come back and add to this post because I've just been looking through the Bosch online - I didn't realise that it was such a pretty deck - I know its been a while since I've seen any of the cards but I think my tastes must be changing again because I've just added it to my wish list lol :D - It don't repel me as much as I remembered, well not at all in fact and I think it could fit in well with my other decks lol.