Under your pillow

Maru

You're speaking to a Ritual Queen my dear (one of the ones who requested the "Threads on Magick and Rituals" section here on AT).
I love Ritual and have a number of Tools.
But it is me and my belief that makes them all so.
"They" don't work better - I "work better" with them within my belief framework.
Superstition is belief (just like religion - and I'd better put IMO here. Lol).

Cards could be placed by the side of the pillow rather than directly under it avoiding uncomfortable lumps.
I can imagine under the bed could work too. :)
I do put things under or beside my pillow - now-and-again.

Well belief and intent is a very integral part of manifestation work. ;)

I have a friend who is struggling right now in the belief department. I tell him if he doesn't actually believe his life will get better while doing all the therapy/healing work necessary to get there, then things will not likely improve on their own. Same with dropping addictions or bad habits.

I am very ritualistic as well, just not about where I place my cards. LOL. If the cards want to be moved, then they can actually tell me... I do work on that level with my tools.

Actually, I use my cards on top of my graphics tablet for work/personal illustration so maybe that helps with keeping them full of my own energy... though I have a list of strange rituals that I do without any real prompt.

Tanga

...though I have a list of strange rituals that I do without any real prompt.

;) Sounds familiar.

Good luck to your friend. Sounds like he's having a really hard time. :heart:

Annabelle

No, I've never slept with a tarot deck under my pillow. It's just an old-wives tale (superstition).

It's a superstition - and if you believe it, it helps - and you can have amazing dreams with them under your pillow. As well as having amazing dreams because you're obsessing about them :joke:
I believe in belief!

Yes, I agree 100%. If you believe that something works, there's a fair chance that it may work for you, superstition or not :D.

Grizabella

I haven't read all the posts. I did sort of try it with the Morgan Greer once inadvertently by having them on the bed when I fell asleep. But it was just some vivid non-consequential living color dreams that had nothing to do with the deck or anything Tarot related. However, there's a very close connection between our minds and our bodies, so believing something strongly will always affect dreams, in my opinion.

I've been reading some books by Dr. Larry Dossey recently and he cites cases where a man believed that a placebo medication was a miracle drug and his cancer disappeared. Another man became convinced he had terminal cancer and wouldn't believe it when he was told he didn't have it. He died during the night.

Lots of things like the "under the pillow" trick may work for some but not for others depending on the strength of the belief, maybe.

EmpyreanKnight

Since I move a lot and twist and turn and grab pillows willy-nilly whenever I sleep and since I also think I've got a pretty heavy head, I haven't tried putting Tarot decks under my pillow yet. But I have always been curious about this, so perhaps one time I will.

Barleywine

I did it once or twice many years ago. Now I have so many decks my head would go flat on one side! :D

Tanga

I did it once or twice many years ago. Now I have so many decks my head would go flat on one side! :D

:joke: Barleywine - it should be one-at-a-time - otherwise you'd have ALL those decks trying to crowd into your subconscious dreaming all-at-once. ;) Lol.

Barleywine

:joke: Barleywine - it should be one-at-a-time - otherwise you'd have ALL those decks trying to crowd into your subconscious dreaming all-at-once. ;) Lol.

Of course I know that, I was just saying it for "effect!" :D I could always watch Jodorowsky's "El Topo" before going to bed and all those tarot images would just run and hide in the corners.

Tanga

Of course I know that, I was just saying it for "effect!" :D I could always watch Jodorowsky's "El Topo" before going to bed and all those tarot images would just run and hide in the corners.

Sure made me laugh with the vision of a veritable mound under your pillow (mine would be :joke:).

SunChariot

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

Do you sleep with your deck under your pillow for 3 days? I heard that helps you get better connected to your deck.

I'm starting to wonder if these are all just myths and superstitions.

Imo, it is a myth. At least it's not necessary to do to get close to your deck.

But then there is a power of our beliefs. If you did it, truly believing that it would have a positive effect, I think that belief could create one. For me I never did it as all I could imagine happening was bent damaged cards. Some lying on the floor under the bed, maybe in some dust, and some bent cards too that got curled under where my head was. So I don' think it would have worked for me. I was not ready to ever try that anyway.

But you can certainly get as close to a deck as possible without doing it.

Babs