Feeling The Energy Of The Cards

Edward Tarot Hands

It seems most Tarot maestros and teachers advocate feeling or sensing a card's energy when choosing one.
For example, moving your hand above the separate piles after you have cut a Tarot deck, to feel which pile gives you any sensation.
I was recently reading an essay that mentions this, and the author suggests that this is not a good way to choose cards. They argue that you will always be drawn to a certain energy of certain cards and therefore will be choosing the same cards most of the time.
What do you esteemed people think about this?

Barleywine

I used to think it mattered, now I don't. The "subconscious induction" that I believe drives the appearance of certain cards in a spread is a mental/mechanical ("mind/body interface") intervention, not necessarily one that imparts any kind of energy aura or emanation. Just my opinion, of course; you will get tons of support on the other side of the argument.

The closest I come to this is sometimes when reading for myself I will select cards from a "fan" rather than using a "shuffle-and-cut." When I do, I just try to select from all parts of the fan after a thorough shuffle, I don't wait for any kind of tactile "signal." It's more of an "intuitive hunch" kind of thing.

Manfeex

It seems most Tarot maestros and teachers advocate feeling or sensing a card's energy when choosing one.
For example, moving your hand above the separate piles after you have cut a Tarot deck, to feel which pile gives you any sensation.
I was recently reading an essay that mentions this, and the author suggests that this is not a good way to choose cards. They argue that you will always be drawn to a certain energy of certain cards and therefore will be choosing the same cards most of the time.

Hey!
I generally prefer the fan method. Only for the state of the matter is when I cut the tarot deck It just personally don't feel right to me. But I guess its personal preference

Apollonia

I've never been drawn to choosing cards by their energy--maybe because it takes FOREVER for me to sit there, wafting my hands over the cards and deciding, "This one--no, no, THIS one!" Who has time for all that? I just shuffle and cut for my cards. It's straightforward and it works for me.

LeFou

Most? Hmm, I don't think there's anything that "most" readers do.

...the author suggests that this is not a good way to choose cards. They argue that you will always be drawn to a certain energy of certain cards and therefore will be choosing the same cards most of the time.

This would be very easy to test yourself -- try it 10 times and see if you draw "the same cards most of the time." If you can do that, it would be an awesome skill.

Alissa

I also have ever tried to allow energy to draw my hands toward certain piles, or card picks. I shuffle, spin, and then cut open to select the card.

I also have become less and less "woo" about my readings than I used to be.

AnemoneRosie

I just shuffle and cut without thinking about it.
If you pause to think about it then you're lost, as far as I can tell. Sometimes I don't even cut!

Tanga

"Most maestros and teachers"? Well - I have yet to meet them then. :joke:
I mix both, going by "tactile signal" and "intuitive hunch" alla Barleywine, with no plan whatsoever and without dwelling much on it or splitting things into piles to check out different energies (there would lie an exercise that would have me there for 3 million years :joke:) and I've never noticed that I keep being drawn to the same cards. :)

nisaba

I choose a deck based on its artwork and the *ideas* expressed in it.

As to feeling energies: a friend of mine, Mr J, and I both own copies of the Wild Unknown deck. A few months ago we had one of our Tarot lunches: we both rocked up to the cafe carrying a few decks for the other person to see and enjoy. We both happened to have our Wild Unknowns with us.

At the end of the lunch when we were parting, I gathered up my decks, and he gathered up his decks. There were two decks left on the table, the two copies of the Wild Unknown. So I picked them both up. One of them felt natural in my hands - mine. The other one had the same kind of feeling that I get from his (and his-only) hugs - it felt like him. So I gave it to him.

The energies in a deck are the energies of the person who handles that deck the most - its owner.

Deana86

I actually don't get that energy from my cards. I feel my instincts but not energy. But I do know people feel that energy and has been fine when drawing cards.