Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 285 : January 14 - January 20

Green Faerie

So far I'm a bit torn. I like the idea, but there is something about most of the witches wearing the stereotypical pointed black witches hat that bothers me. Not sure if it's meant as a metaphor, or if I'm trying to read more meaning into what is more of a playful deck. And so far, all the women have cats and the men have dogs. Hm.

I will report back at the end of the week after I've spent more time with it. :p

Oh, interesting! The hats didn't bother me when I was looking at the cards, probably because I see the hat as a metaphor anyway - it's a physical representation of channeling power, whatever power that particular witch is working with. I did notice the cats, though! :) I have a dog, and I'm terribly allergic to cats, so seeing all of the witches paired with cats kind of made me wince, even though I know they are commonly associated with witches in popular culture (and to be fair, I also associate cats with Minerva McGonagall, and you can't be much more amazing than McGonagall).

I'll be waiting to see what you think by the end of the week! I loved the playful feel of the deck, even just looking at the artwork, and it will be interesting to see if that playfulness translates into the readings at all. :)

Green Faerie

A little late signing up......I rang in the New Year with a raging sinus infection and am just now starting to feel better. :eek:

I've been craving my all-time favorite deck, the Bohemian Gothic Tarot, so I'll be using that for regular readings. And, for shadow work, I'll be using a combination of Badger's Forest Tarot and Elements of Recovery deck. (And this time, BodhiSeed, I promise to report how I get on with this pairing!)

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you've been sick! I get sinus infections about once a year, and they are so miserable. Sending good thoughts for healing your way! :)

VGimlet

Welcome MamaRue!

I do like the playfulness of the Everyday Witches, and the art, which is why I got it, but the cat - dog thing, and the hats, well, we'll see. :p

And glad you are feeling better RiverRunsDeep - there is a lot of nasty stuff right now - the flu everyone thinks is a bad cold, the cold that feels more like the plague...

DaughterOfDanu

A little late signing up......I rang in the New Year with a raging sinus infection and am just now starting to feel better. :eek:
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! Winter bugs are just the worst!

Bonefire and I just recently met and it's been very awkward. I'm still attracted so we'll try again this week. SWC deck, also.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Welcome to the group! I'm also getting to know the Bonefire, though a lot more attached to it than you are. What about it seems awkward? To me some of the faces and how she draws people throws me off at times.

I do like the playfulness of the Everyday Witches, and the art, which is why I got it, but the cat - dog thing, and the hats, well, we'll see. :p
I'm also eyeing this deck for next month's deck splurge (My self imposed budget limits me to one deck purchase per month :p When I first saw the hats I didn't quite like them but I also thought the deck might be a much realistic modern witch themed but when I looked at other cards and saw that it's more of a playful take on witches in a modern world I relaxed a bit.

Still the cat-dog thing is a bit meh. I'm by far a cat person but I don't really subscribe to the all witches have a familiar concept. I have a cat but he's not my familiar, for example. But I don't think that will be a big hurdle for me to get over with this deck.

I'm not really loving my choices. I played with them yesterday doing my weekly spread and getting reacquainted. I think I like the Legacy of the Divine more than the Tarot of Dreams and the Goddesses and Sirens oracle was a big disappointment. I used to really love that deck for how it portrayed the goddesses as women of strength and power rather than the usual love and light theme. But flipping through it I see most, if not all of the women have a Caucasian look to them. This usually wouldn't bother me in a deck but this is a deck that is supposed to celebrate women of all cultures. Even the Asian and Native American goddesses in this deck look distinctly Caucasian to the point that without the card titles, I would think that they were.

So I may be switching. I'm going to give them one more day tomorrow and decide.

Madame Squee

Please sign me up with Egorov Tarot and Rootweaver's Vintage Lenormand.

Thank you, VG! :love:

Madame Squee

Sorry, that didn't last long...

I need to change to the Wicca Moon Tarot (sticking with Rootweaver's Vintage Lenormand).

Thank you, VG!

:love:

csmith0406

I am switching to Delos Tarot, Steampunk just not doing it for me this week.

RiverRunsDeep

Many thanks to those of you who offered well wishes for my sinus infection! :heart:

Well, I am thoroughly disgusted with shadow work already. I've been working with Christine Jette's book, which is amazing and detailed and provides a step by step process for doing shadow work, but there is simply too much journaling involved for me. I find myself rolling my eyes and sighing in annoyance every time I have to write something down. Perhaps impatience is one of my "shadows", haha!!

I did manage to do two of the tarot spreads from the book. For each card position, I chose a card from my Badgers Forest deck as well as a card from my Elements of Recovery deck. My idea was to read them as a pair, thinking the oracle card might help to flesh out the tarot meaning. Interestingly, the tarot card provided information about the shadow, while the oracle card ended up offering advice about the shadow. It was actually kind of cute, watching the smaller Elements of Recovery cards act like little cheerleaders standing next to the bad news of the larger tarot cards. :D

Anyway, I'm done with shadow work for now, to be continued at a later, more patient time. Finishing out the week with my beloved Bohemian Gothic!

BodhiSeed

Glad you had a 'cheerleader' in your corner! :D All that journaling would be tough to commit to after recently recovering from being sick. :heart:

I am loving the Nature Spirit Deck. The book that comes with the cards (4x7"!) goes into detail about all the plants, birds, bugs and other animals in each card. As an amateur naturalist (who loves nature and all the trivia that goes with it), it has been a great find. :)

DaughterOfDanu

I'm sticking it through with the Tarot of Dreams and Goddesses and Sirens oracle. The Tarot of Dreams is a lovely deck and I love the cardstock feel but I find myself more drawn to the Legacy of the Divine to work with. Still, I'm happy to have this deck in my collection as it's the independently published edition. I'm also happy that I can finally say that for now, at least, this deck is more of a collector's item than a working deck for me.

The Goddesses and Sirens on the other hand I'm a bit disappointed in considering I was very attached to this deck when it came out. Maybe one day it will speak to me again but for now there's many other oracle decks in my collection which I get so much more out of reading with.

The Samhain Lenormand is possibly my favorite lenormand deck. I got the mini version which is perfect sized. Every night I spend at least ten minutes going through the 2 card question/answer threads in the Lenormand Games section of the forum seeing how my interpretation of the two cards pulled compares to the poster. It's really boosting my confidence in my lenormand skills.