The De-Enabling Thread

ferrous

Eco74 said:
Oh, speaking of shoes... Justice in the Phantasmagoric Theatre... I want those shoes.

[.. snip ..]

But, here's a thought.
Give me reasons for not getting those shoes made for myself. Kneehigh wellrounded boots with a couple of straps on the sides. Most likely soft and supple as leather and warm and cuddly to the feet too...
Count me out on de-enabling you for those shoes. I haven't seen the card you're describing (although thanks to you I think I'm going to have to add it to my wishlist .. rotfl! :D) but those shoes sound pretty darn cool.

I'm not exactly an Imelda Marcos, but my shoes take up about 90% of the bottom of our cupboard.

*wanders off muttering something about starting a shoe buying de-enablers thread*

Eco74

Well, this is a whole new take on de-enabling..

Crossing from decks to shoes. :D

Edited to add:

Tarotdeck? This? Nooooo, this is a shoecatalogue...
And thatone over there, thats a medieval-clothing-catalogue.
And thisone is my phys-ed deck.. See all those great closeup of the muscle-groups?
And that line of so-called-decks over there, that is my arts and crafts collection.
Yup... *nods energetically*

Myrrha

Rusty Neon said:
I need some de-enabling.

I have decks in the RWS, Thoth/Golden Dawn, and Marseilles traditions. The Marseilles and, to a slighly lesser extent, the RWS are The Ones for me.

For quite a while already, but especially lately, I've been eying Minchiate decks. I tell myself the purchase of a Minchiate is a worthwhile thing as it would be for the purposes of research and the the purposes of investigation of archetypes. It has to be the Il Meneghello Minchiate Fiorentine or the small-sized Minchiate by artist Costantini, both of which have to be ordered from Europe. To show how far gone I am on this, I'm not even considering the Lo Scarabeo Minchiate Etruria, which would be available in Canada, as I don't like the washed-out look nor engraved decks. Because the Minchiate Etruria is engraved, not even the brighter Il Meneghello Minchiate Etruria will suffice for me. It has to be one or both of those others. I have to have a Minchiate, even though I know that it is not a big discussion deck here on Aeclectic Forum and I probably won't be using it for readings as nobody knows or appreciates it nor cares about it. I know that once I get one of the Minchiates, I'll probably want to have all three of them, for comparison purposes. :)

Thanks!

The Minchiate decks really feel like they are meant for playing card games. For example the highest scoring trumps have red backgrounds not for symbolic purposes but because they are the highest scoring trumps. The sequence of trumps bears no relationship with kabalah whatsoever. The additional symbolism is basically astrological and the virtues and those you could learn about in books from the library. Wouldn't your time be better spent studying the decks you know will reward you?
---Myrrha

skh

tmgrl2 said:
No, no Sonja...you have to DE-enable me...you know how good we Tarot Addicts are at manipulating??
Ok, you asked for it, tell me: why will this deck make your life a better one? Just having it doesn't count.

Sonja

Lee

Rusty Neon said:
For quite a while already, but especially lately, I've been eying Minchiate decks.
Keep in mind that if you get all those Minchiate decks, you will then need to buy (unless you already have it) a fourth deck, which is Brian Williams's "Minchiate Tarot," just for the excellent book which comes with it, which covers the history of the Minchiate and suggested meanings for the extra cards.

-- Lee

janstar17

Rusty Neon said:
I need some de-enabling.

I have to have a Minchiate, even though I know that it is not a big discussion deck here on Aeclectic Forum and I probably won't be using it for readings as nobody knows or appreciates it nor cares about it. I know that once I get one of the Minchiates, I'll probably want to have all three of them, for comparison purposes. :)

Thanks!
And let's not forgot how "things" can end up controlling our life! They require attention and maintenance and space and...gulp...sometimes companions!!!!!!!!!!

Sybilant

de-enabling Minchiate cravings

OK, Rusty, let me give de-enabling your Minchiate yearnings a try. Just to help you out.

The RWS and Thoth were at least designed with the intention of being mystical tools. As Myrrha points out, the Minchiate (as near as I can figure, that means “for screwing [somebody] [over]”) was merely designed as a deck of playing cards. There are lots of trumps just because the point of the game is to be able to trump other people as much as possible. That’s the only reason lovely things like constellations and virtues are included. The intention of producing something archetypal just wasn’t present, seems to me. Maybe you could argue that the archetypes found their way in there by accident. But that is equally true of anything humans make: stories, poems, paintings, dreams, love. You could equally well study any of those.

Why study a deck of playing cards? It makes as much sense as looking for wisdom in a deck of Pokemon cards. “Ahhh, Jigglypuff indicates a time of sleep and dreaming. It also indicates singing and mischief. There may also be tendencies to sudden anger here.” Many nine year olds could have long discussions with you about this.

I'll tell you something else about the Minchiate. It annoys me to have a deck full of images no living person can explain to me. That hedgehog? That monkey with a mirror? Anyone?

Comparison? You can always go online and look at them. They all look the same to me, except for the Constantini, which is like a sharp poke to the eye. The Grand Emperor and the Emperors East and West are all identically dressed and have the same props and attributes. What can you tell me about that? And where’s my High Priestess and my Empress? What on earth am I going to do without them?

If all of the above fails to de-enable you, I agree with other people here – wait until a truly special time, and get only one, and wait six months before you get another one. If you really want to study the Minchiate, that’s a perfectly good reason to get one. And I don’t understand what’s not to like about the Minchiate Fiorentine. It looks the prettiest to me.

Frankly, I like Brian Williams’, which is the one I have. The deceptive simplicity is refreshing and inviting. Don’t be fooled by the spareness of the images. A tremendous amount of art and mastery is hidden in there.

Forget I said that.

love,
s.

Cerulean

97 pounds of trouble...walk on buy...

...ah Rusty, I believe you have seen all the images of the red-based Minchiate that Uri Raz posted...can you print them or load them into a CD? These are very very good images.

http://www.tarot.org.il/Minchiate/

Because if you can, then you will have what you want, in essence, the image AND you already have the Minchiate book by Brian Williams with all the various samples... you can print on legal size paper and if need be, cut the crisp little samples for your own mini-minchiate, with index cards as backing.

Just think of all the pounds of paper and trees you will be saving if you load these into an electronic CD and also use the www.facade.com site to play with the readings of the same Minchiate...so you can save your pennies and still have your deck...

On the other hand, if you ever find a great book on the Minchiate in French or Italian, let us know! I've been known to cut old books up to make my own mini-deck...

It's an idea...maybe it won't work. But I have held off buying another Minchiate because of the great web images...I have the small Etruria and receiving the initial deck and book set from Williams when it first came out. I like the book part the best, and as you said, you want this for research and comparison--so the scans might be good enough. And the canned reading, while not live, has some interesting results because of the nonstandard cards...

Best wishes and hope this helps,

Cerulean

Kittaine

I have to have...the Ananda Tarot. *twitch twitch*

Why I want it: I have to have...a pretty, showy, artsy deck. I've had my eye on this one for a long while.

Why I just can't have it right now: I have 6 new decks, my poor babies. They need attention.

One US dollar is equivalent to 56 Philippine pesos. Expensive.

My father will pull his hair out.

Eco74

Hardly de-enabling but...

...if your father is going to tare his hair out he could sell it to a wigmaker and thus cover the cost of the deck. ;)

For De-Enabling;

Take a look at your existing collection of decks.
Your'e bound to find artsy, edgy, pretty, showy, impressive and what-have-you decks to atleast last you to the end of the year.

The Ananda is going nowhere. It will still be there in a while.
And if you do get it, it will still be going nowhere for a while since you will then have no less than 7 new decks to devide your attention between.

You have enough on your mind already.
Reward yourself with the calm art of the Ananda when you've regained control of your surroundings. Only then will you be able to give it the home it deserves...