The De-Enabling Thread

Alta

QueenofPentacles said:
Can anyone please remind me why I traded away my Victoria Regina Tarot, before I start looking for it again? Chalk it up to trader's remorse or something. I need my head examined :D
Do not re-buy this deck! It is one of those decks that is startling and original and first glance, but when you start to use it you start to realize what a sham it is. Also has a lot of nasty undertones.

Jewel

QueenofPentacles said:
Can anyone please remind me why I traded away my Victoria Regina Tarot, before I start looking for it again? Chalk it up to trader's remorse or something. I need my head examined :D
I am not sure why you traded yours but I can sure tell you why I got rid of mine :D

De-enabling attempt:

The deck uses guns instead of swords, and there is a serious lack of color in the deck. There was a lot of hype around the deck, and the hype was greater than the deck. Yes there are some nice images, but the guns for swords thing was a real turn-off. I looked through mine and mailed it to a friend (Truthsayer) the following day. It is the only deck that I have owned that had to leave my house immediately.

You probably did not really use yours, so you traded it to a good home where it could be appreciated. Besides, now that the Victorian Romantic deck is out you have a much better choice of Victorian decks. Don't throw more "pennies down the drain" on the Victoria Regina, paying for it once was enogh. If you can get it in trade for something else you have but want to part with then do that, but don't pay for it twice.

On another note, although not de-enabled on the Fantastic Menagerie, I took my own advice and traded a deck/book for a gift certificate to Tarot Garden and will be getting the FM without having to spend more money :)

Emily

I'm another who doesn't like the Victoria Regina - the guns did it for me also - it just didn't feel right and although I love Victoriana this deck left me cold, its so sterile but it would have been even worse coloured.

I did keep mine and its now gone OOP - how surprising for them to stop printing such a new deck - I wonder why! })

jackdaw*

Ah, yes ... the guns. Actually the guns as a whole didn't bother me. It was the gun in the hand of the cute little girl in the Page of Swords. That bothered me. And the size of the cards. That was why.

Thanks! Consider me de-enabled. For that deck, for now, at least ...

Alta

QueenofPentacles said:
For that deck, for now, at least ...
"Oh Lord! I can change! ... If I have to. ..........I guess."

hahahaha

jackdaw*

hahahaha :D

For you non-Canadians in the room, the full text of Marion's quote is: "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess" (from the Red Green Show, spoken in a very hangdog tone of voice by many middle-aged men in fishing vests and plaid shirts). However, it applies equally well to Tarotholics.

magpie9

Gee, I happen to have a Victoria Regina that's laying around doing nothing except eating it's head off...}) I don't know if it's the guns suit or what, I can't seem to connect with the damn thing. The book's cool, though. I am thoroughly ambivalent about it, on a good day. I can't imagine why I got it in the first place.
I would trade it away very very easily...
And I love the Red Green Show.

jackdaw*

Magpie's not helping, but she likes Red Green so I forgive her :)

Remember: if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

Whitestar

I've been considering the Cosmic Tarot deck (not to be confused with Cosmic Tribe).

But I'm trying to keep spending to a minimum right now.

But I really want to order it.

Any reason I don't really need the Cosmic tarot???????

Anyone dislike it???

Whitestar

Annabelle

Hmmm...the Victoria Regina.

The cards are really big. Very difficult to shuffle.

The art is not only black and white - it's really flat and stark. I found it disturbing when I first held it in my hands . . . I'd seen black and white decks before, but never one that looked so "dead."

Ummm, what else. It can be expensive, now, since it's OOP. Not like Alchemical or Greenwood expensive, but it can go for higher than its original selling price sometimes.

The swords/guns thing is weird. So is the wands/pens changeover. Requires being in a completely different frame of mind to use the deck.