The De-Enabling Thread

mollymawk

Yup. Definitely the Marseille Hadar over the SD.

Uhh...wait...this is the de-enabling thread, right?

Forget I said that ;P

gregory

Debra said:
Can you really imagine meditating on one of those cards? Or even wanting to look at one long enough to get an intuitive reaction to it? I'm afraid I can't.
To me they've got the look of advertisements, colored with the unpopular crayons left over in the bin at kindergarden. The disharmonious colors keep putting ME off the deck. If you take any single Hadar Marseille card and hold it up against the computer screen next to a scan from the S-D deck, well.....
If you saw the deck you may well feel differently. It was one of my first - and I got the new printing when it happened. (I feel OK saying that here, as you don't want it anyway !!!)

Debra

gregory said:
If you saw the deck you may well feel differently. It was one of my first - and I got the new printing when it happened. (I feel OK saying that here, as you don't want it anyway !!!)

Um, Gregory..."If you saw the deck" is NOT exactly a "de-enabling" phrase, now is it?

Instead you might say, "I collect these decks so you don't have to!" or something similarly suited to the mama of 1224. ;)

gregory

:|

But I did say it was OK to say that considering you don't want it !

And Alfred is such a nice man.....

And it's more than that now but my profile is out of date..... (1235. I think.)

magpie9

How about, don't get it because it's just flat ugly?

Little Baron

Haha Magpie.

I actually de-enabled myself. Just by popping into the shop and looking through the sample deck.

It really does look so much better online. You can not see how unclear the lines and images are in places until you look at it in your hands.

I liked the idea of the seventies style. And the bright colours. And the simplicity. But the actual execution of colouring wasn't up to much of a standard, I felt, in relality. The black lines could have been stronger, bolder .. or at least consistant in thickness. It reminded me of how some of the colouring in the Winged Spirit was a bit shabby [like a kid painting over the lines]. And in some places, the image just gets lost. And I feel that the majors are just not particularly striking. So I didn't get it, afterall.

LB

* And yes, Alfred is a very polite and helpful man. I was going to order it at Christmas. I am glad I didn't now, after seeing it a few times in real life. I can see why others might like it, but it felt pretty flat and lifeless [as you say, Magpie] in my hands *

Lurea

gregory said:
:...the Sheridan Douglas. It has been around since the 80s, when I got mine; it has always attracted attention because of what and how it is. I'm afraid it really is a pretty good deck (and nice and simple for LB - no adornments - not much above playing cards in distractions...) And the book that was first illustrated with it is brilliant - and has just been reprinted.​

What book?!

Oh, and I'm feeling the urge to go on a RWS spree--and get more versions. Like the Universal Waite Pocket edition (so little and such bright colors!), the Radiant, and the Golden Rider are all calling me. Can someone de-enable me from overdosing on RWS goodness? I've been hunting a Hoi Polloi for ages but it keeps eluding me...maybe I need an Albano...

*walks off, muttering*​

Little Baron

Lurea said:
What book?!

Oh, and I'm feeling the urge to go on a RWS spree--and get more versions. Like the Universal Waite Pocket edition (so little and such bright colors!), the Radiant, and the Golden Rider are all calling me. Can someone de-enable me from overdosing on RWS goodness? I've been hunting a Hoi Polloi for ages but it keeps eluding me...maybe I need an Albano...

*walks off, muttering*

Isn't there a new print of the Albano?

Saw a copy in shop. All new, slick, nasty titles, and computerised looking colouring. US Games are just killing these decks.

*walks off doing my own muttering

LB

Debra

Lurea said:
Can someone de-enable me from overdosing on RWS goodness?

I like this deck BUT....

although the colors of the Radiant are beautiful and the backs present a starry starry sky, the cards themselves are slick and plastic-y and the people look vapid. With no sign of experience or character, they all appear to be the same person with different hairstyles. Someone described them as "constipated" and you might want to hold that thought (and your wallet) while examining the scans:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/r-decks/radiantrwcards.gif

fall_guy

Lurea said:
What book?!

*walks off, muttering*
I once had the Radiant RWS, but eventually got rid of it. Some of the faces were a bit weird-looking! The Pocket Universal is very nice, and seeing that you only have the RWS, I'd go for this one.
I don't have the others, but I'd say why buy a clone which doesn't really add anything new to the original (apart of different colours)?