Got My Scissors Out Again - this time, the THOTH gets it!

Imagemaker

Ok, that does it--going to do my Haindl! (I never read with it now, time for a reconnection.)

Gardener

Kissa, Lark, TA and Imagemaker:

I agree that the Haindl majors and courts are stunning once clipped, but I am interested to hear what you think of the pips. Also, have you tried USING the cards yet??? Not to skew your answers, but I'm having a very hard time connecting to the pips. I almost want to just read with the majors and courts...

Imagemaker

Ok, I just trimmed the majors. This deck is tricky--the inner colored line is not printed precisely square on some of the cards.

I trimmed the bottom gray band off by looking at the front of the card, along that black line. Then I trimmed the sides and top by looking at the back, along *that* black line (making sure all the black is off). Otherwise the front wasn't as cleanly trimmed. The black lines on front and back don't fall along the same line.

After the trim, a few cards were slightly taller or wider, so took an extra sliver off, using the colored inner band as a guide.

Tricky! Not for a beginner at this trimming thing. BUT yes, the cards (as always) look better without the border.

Onward to the minors . . .

TemperanceAngel

I haven't done mine yet, I need to get some scissors.

Gardener what makes the pips difficult for you? Is there anything you can pinpoint?

Maybe it's about 'letting go' ideas and meanings you have for the cards, and relying on the imagery and your intuition for card interpretations.

Just a thought!

Kissa

Gardener:

1) i find the pips much more talkative without the grey borders. i agree with TemperanceAngel that you have to let go of traditional/learnt RWS standard meanings. The pips are non scenic (ie don't involve any character), I am very stupid for never having read or studied Thoth but isn't it like that in Crowley's deck?? I have tried studying Marseilles decks but I get bored and annoyed and feel extremely frustrated for not seeing any meaning in the way the decorating flowers in the cups mean something...
Thus the Haindl pips are a very good option to the RWS pips.

2) i am planning to study Pollack's books seriously and I am pretty sure she will unlock many secrets for me... I have always heard that Haindl was not a beginner's deck and Pollack's books about it were excellent. I still consider myself pretty much of a beginner but i decided to try seriously with Haindl. I think if you are attracted to a deck, you should go for it.

3) to be honest: haven't used the trimmed deck yet. still have some minors (about the half) to trim. I plan a little "let go" ceremony before using this deck and whatever it has to say, i will listen to it, even if it doesn't make sense without books or lwb... it might be the best reading i will ever do ;) better sharpen my pen to write it in my journal!

Best luck to you, Gardener, and if you feel like putting the minors aside for a while: why not???

warm blessings,

Kissa

edited to add: i had the same problem than ImageMaker with this line. I decided to go according the front (the card image) instead of the back ie i still have about 1mm of that ugly grey border on the back of my cards. doesn't bother me too much, i prefered to save the pictures on the front than trim according to the back and lose some of the details (maybe?).

tarobones

forsale?

Hello to the group. I am absolutely no good with scissors, etc. I would be willing to pay for a deck somebody else had trimmed though. Any takers? Thanks to everybody for an enjoyable thread. BB, Michael

rainwolf

mercenary30 said:
So now you have all these little pieces of tarot lying all over the table....what do you do with them? :confused:

Aren't they still tarot? Do you think it is fine to just throw them in the trash like scrap? :(

What ritual would be suitable for the proper disposal that would show the appropriate dignity and respect?

There is a whole thread on disposal...
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=26359&highlight=tarot+disposal
...but i think it would be similar to a flag, but in a different fashion. I would think of how it helped me in the past (the specifc deck) and maybe of each card, or the ones i connected to teh most. Then i think i would wrap them and burn them to be one with the earth again...i guess taht would be alright. I just hope they dont scream like a ouija board does...:-/

RedMaple

Before you go trimming your Haindl...

consider whether it's worth it. The entire suit of Stones is based on misinformation about Native American religion. My Haindl's sitting in a box, and probably will be until I use a couple of images in a collage or something. It's a failed deck, in my opinion. ( There's a post of mine with more opinions on the Haindl in the Study Groups section.)

Ulfdis

I read this thread and the one about Yaboot trimming his Rohrig. Now I'm kicking myself for losing my Rohrig... I didn't really connect with it, and I'm convinced that if I had just trimmed off the border it would have been a better deck for me. It was too big for my hands to shuffle comfortably, and the keywords were really distracting.

But anyways... now I'm thinking I should take the shears to my Osho Zen. My wife has a second copy, so there's already a replacement handy should the results be disastrous. Hmmmm.... I'm gonna take them out, maybe cut a "window" in another piece of paper to see how it would look.

Imagemaker

To me, trimming is like hemming a pair of pants. The length the store sells isn't quite right for me, would look slightly off and be inconvenient. So I "hem" my decks in the same way :)